Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    Here is a pic of my Ruger Vaquero 45.

Right or wrong this is what I see when I think of a Gunslinger gun.

beautiful gun. Wood grips?
    Yeah they are aftermarket grips, walnut, couldn't find any sandalwood

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Nice guns JB and Oy.

JB, I have read some people on the internet saying not to get a Taurus but since you bought one you obviously feel different about that. What led you to go that way instead of a Sig, Springfield, S&W or something else?
    Well the older Taurus's aren't too great, but not because they lack in quality. My brother has a Taurus PT92, and it's a decent gun, but I don't like the trigger pull and the grip feels too fat for a 9mm. My Taurus is from the new generation, and I can't remember ever shooting a smoother gun. It's quality is on par with anything you quoted, if not surpassed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Here is a pic of my Ruger Vaquero 45.

Right or wrong this is what I see when I think of a Gunslinger gun.

beautiful gun. Wood grips?
    Yeah they are aftermarket grips, walnut, couldn't find any sandalwood
    There's a really cool website that has rosewood, sandalwood, and pretty much anything you'd like, beautiful custom made grips for vaqueros, but they start at about 170. So yeah. Is yours the old vaquero or the new one? It looks like the newer ones to me, but I'm not sure.

Also, A vaquero is what I picture when I think of a gunslinger gun.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Along the Path of the Beam dr shottie is on a distinguished road dr shottie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

boom i have the sound of thunder in my hands

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

guess what fellas? I got the gun yesterday. SO now I have the green handled rough rider back, and it's in the same condition I sold it. My uncle says he went and shot it once.

I'm so lucky.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

Always good to have firepower back.

Not so much the war that drove the prices up. It surely has not helped. But it (the war) Has mainly effected the avalability and price of millitary calibers. The current price gouging is due to a panicked shooting public, buying and hording, uncertain about the future avalability of said product. Driving up the price up, way up......
    Even the prices of primers and power have trippled....

Change...............

Traveler klobbrus is on a distinguished road

Greetings.
    I am currently on page 6 of this thread and was wondering a few things:

Since, on Rolands level of the Tower, the guns of Eld were modeled after the guns of that day (1000 years before Roland, approx.), yet at the same time the old ones/great old ones were either just dying out or had just died out, it would reason that the people of that day (when the guns of eld were made) had access to double action revolvers. Since this is highly possible, they could have used pieces from different styles of guns to make a truly one of a kind gun.

From the texts, we can infer a few things from what (maybe incorrectly) Sai King described the guns could do:

The 'fanning of the trigger' could be a reference to a trigger like a derringer style (with no trigger guard) http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/pi...mpr/arm213.jpg. This would allow very fast shooting as the trigger could be a hairpin pull.

The revolver is, I believe, a double action, as the reference of 'swung the cylinder OUT' after releasing the latch.

As for the references to the gun being very large, I envisioned (and indeed prefer) the look of the Ruger GP100, mainly for the barrel, which is large and fearsome! (http://www.northwoodsports.com/image...7%20Magnum.jpg) Also, if you have ever held one of these fine Rugers, it has quite a hefty feel to it! The thickness of the barrel adds quite a image to the gun, especially in the 6 inch barrel!

In a bit of a tangent, if anyone has seen the anime Trigun, the main character, Vash uses a large revolver that has the same 'thick barrel' style of the GP100, but with what I find is an interesting curved sighting on the top. (http://crimsonsguns.tripod.com/vashstudio.jpg) This gun is a break action, with the gun actually breaking in half and the empty casings popping out to allow new shells to be loaded! Nice!

This thread has been great and I await the thoughts on my post!

Greetings.

After my last post I was browsing around and found quite possibly the best example of Rolands big revolvers. The following is an exact replica found in a dumpster in New York!
    http://www.vincelewis.net/bigrevolver.html

I was shocked as to how close it came to the giant revolvers I imagined the Gunslingers packed. Imagine staring down one of those big guns!

Step one: Pee pants
    Step Two: Enter the clearing at the end of the path!

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

thats an 1858 pietta i think. those guns i invision the gunslingers (at least roland) using also. even tho the cylinder doesnt swing out on those, i like to imagine that they do haha.
    if i could i would custom build one so the cylinder did swing out, that would be sweet!

My point with the previous post was that the revolvers could have been modeled after the 'best' of many different types of revolvers that the smithies had access to. Say the trigger of this, the hammer of that, the convenience of double action with the smooth handling of a truly customized weapon that was truly made to kill faster, better, and more accurate than anything else ever made (the guns of Eld I mean)

My Mood
    Breezy

Like in the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

nice thought, quite possible.

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

My wonderfully repressive filter has blocked yet another page.... If it is an 1858 remington or an 1860 colt (monsterous guns they be) They are also cap and ball guns. I.E. they do not take a cartrage, just loose powder and ball. Also as mentioned the cylenders are not easly removeable. Hence making anything close to a rapid reload impossable. The glories of the pistols used in the civil war is what they were used for after the war. They were cheap obsolete surplus, they went west. Endoured many "blacksmith" conversions to take a cartrage, some even to become a swing cylender... However with the work involved... you would be better off with one of the monsterous pre turn of the century colts!

"fanning the trigger" or to be more accurately, "fanning the hammer" Is done with most single action guns. It involves holding the trigger back and rapidly hitting the hammer with the blade of your hand. This not only cocks it (it will not lock back due to the trigger being pulled rearward) it also spinns the cylender. So every time the hand goes up from the rearward hammer, it goes down firing the weapon. This produces a high volume of fire that rivals a good semi auto. Not accurate to say the least, but usualy when theis tecnique is used, your enemys are close enough accuracy is no longer an issue.

Think of the gunslingers guns, not as firearms, but as a martial arts weapon. Much symilar to the samuri sword in japan. It was made to the best of the craftsmans abylity, than per user, it is coustomized and modified to fit them better. And each gunslinger would have had what he wanted, weither it be a "pop top" (early smith&Wesson or webley) or a swing cylender (Colt and later S&W). Single action or double... Remember the tecnology was there, but the abylity to put it to use or replicate it was not. That is probably why Aurthur Elid was not carring a polmer framed "space" gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lead dealer View Post
    My wonderfully repressive filter has blocked yet another page.... If it is an 1858 remington or an 1860 colt (monsterous guns they be) They are also cap and ball guns. I.E. they do not take a cartrage, just loose powder and ball. Also as mentioned the cylenders are not easly removeable. Hence making anything close to a rapid reload impossable. The glories of the pistols used in the civil war is what they were used for after the war. They were cheap obsolete surplus, they went west. Endoured many "blacksmith" conversions to take a cartrage, some even to become a swing cylender... However with the work involved... you would be better off with one of the monsterous pre turn of the century colts!

"fanning the trigger" or to be more accurately, "fanning the hammer" Is done with most single action guns. It involves holding the trigger back and rapidly hitting the hammer with the blade of your hand. This not only cocks it (it will not lock back due to the trigger being pulled rearward) it also spinns the cylender. So every time the hand goes up from the rearward hammer, it goes down firing the weapon. This produces a high volume of fire that rivals a good semi auto. Not accurate to say the least, but usualy when theis tecnique is used, your enemys are close enough accuracy is no longer an issue.

Think of the gunslingers guns, not as firearms, but as a martial arts weapon. Much symilar to the samuri sword in japan. It was made to the best of the craftsmans abylity, than per user, it is coustomized and modified to fit them better. And each gunslinger would have had what he wanted, weither it be a "pop top" (early smith&Wesson or webley) or a swing cylender (Colt and later S&W). Single action or double... Remember the tecnology was there, but the abylity to put it to use or replicate it was not. That is probably why Aurthur Elid was not carring a polmer framed "space" gun.
    when I envisioned the fanning of the trigger the image that came to mind was of a trigger that had no trigger guard, like a derringer style hairpin pull. If you used that type of trigger with a double action revolver it would allow for almost instantaneous shooting!

Dear sir,

I have actualy tried that, the trigger will only go foreward if the hammer is completely in the rear position and locked. If anything it is slower than the method I described.

Again only something a gunsmith would know, or whatever nutjob willing to try some rapid fire (yep that was me...)

Your off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by lead dealer View Post
    Dear sir,

I have actualy tried that, the trigger will only go foreward if the hammer is completely in the rear position and locked. If anything it is slower than the method I described.

Again only something a gunsmith would know, or whatever nutjob willing to try some rapid fire (yep that was me...)

Your off to a good start.

Nice! Well I figured if the gun was a double action with the guardless trigger it would speed things up, but I have seen videos on YouTube of speedshooting that would make it almost pointless as you could simply train your hands toove like lightning!

Well I can not let a good gun thread fade into obscurity..... Anyone else have some inpuit, am enjoying the good back and fourth....

more rambelings from the gun junkie of the tower....

Traveler dagwood is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have a picture of an SAA type gun already with the engraving on the barrel?

somebody who is really good with photoshop should make one of the guns that is most accurate to the books and post it up. that would be cool. like a 3-d thing, with the cylinder swung out and differnt views from differnt angles.

Along the Path of the Beam blaine is on a distinguished road

i have always imagined that the guns were based on a real world gun but slightly 'off' , in the same way we have nozz-a-la instead of cola etc etc

i'm not sure why but also i felt that as the books went on the guns became more and more 'magical' , i mean where does roland get his ammo from?

he bought a bunch in The Drawing. it was when he was Jack Mort and he brought the ammo back

Along the Path of the Beam blaine is on a distinguished road

im sure one day someone will work out how many shots he makes in the series, but could he really carry all the ammo he needs?

im sure his belts were always filled after a fight scene, he also had his pack where im sure he kept the rest.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

something like this...because roland is a badass and could carry two of these, no problem
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg j.jpg (45.5 KB, 10 views)
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is actually a picture of his gun in the Treachery series of comics. It is when Steven Deschain is still in possession of the guns. There isn't any scrollwork on the gun itself, but it does have the Eld Sigul on the barrel.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe that we decided further back in this thread that Roland reloaded his own ammo which would explain why they ruined so easy when they got wet. A reloaded round is ruined easier because it is not sealed as well as a factory produced round. Of course this is just the ammo he used before the start of the books and in the first book. After the Drawing of the Three, Roland is using the ammo he bought. I think if you added it up he probably did not use 150 rounds through the big revolvers. If any should have ran out, it would have been the Ruger because Jake fired at least 27 just fighting the Wolves. Jake only brought a box of 50 rounds that was nearly full.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast