Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Gray Area

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Gray Area

I posted a topic like this at the SKMB because there is all kinds of talk about SK's short "Morality"

So what do you guys consider "morally correct".

If your family is starving, is it okay to steal bread for them?

I figure this can go from murder to sex for hire...what do you guys think?

Is there really a "right" and "wrong". Or is the idea simply based on doing what you think is right at the time?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Good topic.

Well, using your stealing bread example, I would say this: stealing is always wrong, but I'm willing to be wrong if it comes down to life and death. So yeah, if I had a starving kid and I had no other choice but to steal to feed it, I would. It would still be wrong though, IMHO.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Situational ethics. I agree - excellent topic.

I've often said that the older I get, the more I see things in shades of grey rather than black and white with a grey area.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice Disincarnate is on a distinguished road Disincarnate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with both of the posts above. I think it's a matter of priorities, really. It's wrong to steal, but it's even worse to let your family starve.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree.

This post feels kinda thin.....

(But great thread.)
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Right and wrong are in the eye of the beholder. I've said before, I don't believe in objective anything. Everything is subjective. We may not want it to be in certain situations, but that does little to change it.

Good thread Matt. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am of the I guess unusual opinion that right and wrong are absolute. With that said I've been poor and desperate enough to steal for food (and yes, I'd do it again). It is still wrong though. I don't believe right and wrong are dependent on circumstance at all. I believe there are no grey areas. I've done more than my share of fucked up wrong things in the past and each one was a conscious decision. I don't believe in regrets though. I just choose to look at the future as opportunity to hopefully make less bad choices. I don't try to justify my mistakes and I'm not ashamed of many if any of them. They are what they are...willful bad choices.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I have to agree with Brice. Also, it's about personal responsibility.

I guess it's kind of like having that laminated list of famous people you're "allowed" to sleep with if given the opportunity... hey, it's still cheating !!!

( sorry, vague references to Friends there )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I found that I was about to quote almost the entire thread, so I'll just say it: I think we are all in agreement, but our ways of expressing our views make them seem different. Am I crazy or does a reread of all posts with that thought in mind seem to point to agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Am I crazy or does a reread of all posts with that thought in mind seem to point to agreement?
    I'm not sure it does.

I think this is one of those extremely rare cases where Brice and I are not in agreement, at least with regards to the existence of absolutes.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Am I crazy or does a reread of all posts with that thought in mind seem to point to agreement?
    I'm not sure it does.

I think this is one of those extremely rare cases where Brice and I are not in agreement, at least with regards to the existence of absolutes.

Yes, in fact I think we're about as polar opposite as we've ever been on this one.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yes, in fact I think we're about as polar opposite as we've ever been on this one.
    I suppose it was bound to happen at some point.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

absolutely!

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

Well, right and wrong can both be absolute and in the mind of the beholder, such as with Daggers' example. The difference comes in when the person who is beholding has a sense of right and wrong that do not agree with what we have accepted (stealing, for example). It's still wrong even if it's, for example, Patrick Hockstetter saying that it should be mine because nothing else is real/I deserve it/nobody else matters/whatever. Of course in that person's mind it is not wrong, but we here all seem to agree on the basics of right and wrong.

Or maybe I'm just low on coffee?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, right and wrong can both be absolute and in the mind of the beholder, such as with Daggers' example. The difference comes in when the person who is beholding has a sense of right and wrong that do not agree with what we have accepted (stealing, for example). It's still wrong even if it's, for example, Patrick Hockstetter saying that it should be mine because nothing else is real/I deserve it/nobody else matters/whatever. Of course in that person's mind it is not wrong, but we here all seem to agree on the basics of right and wrong.

Or maybe I'm just low on coffee?
    *pours you another cup*

But if perspectives matter at all (even in a person such as Hockstetter) than there can be no absolutes.

If you rescue me

Well, right and wrong can both be absolute and in the mind of the beholder, such as with Daggers' example.
    Yes, though I'd be likely to say that we are then dealing with a subjective definition of absolute. It's not universally true at all times.

absolutely!
    Well played.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, right and wrong can both be absolute and in the mind of the beholder, such as with Daggers' example.
    Yes, though I'd be likely to say that we are then dealing with a subjective definition of absolute. It's not universally true at all times.

absolutely!
    Well played.

*bows*

If you rescue me

But if perspectives matter at all (even in a person such as Hockstetter) than there can be no absolutes.
    Well now Brice and I are in agreement on something. Perhaps not on the answer to whether perspective matters, but on the implications of the possibility that they do.

By the way, have I mentioned how glad I am Matt started this thread?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, you have.

And I think we have the same understanding, but differing conclusions.

If you rescue me

And I think we have the same understanding, but differing conclusions.
    Because we come at it from different perspectives?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes, but they absolutely don't matter.

If you did believe in an absolute right and wrong...you'd know I'm absolutely right.

If you rescue me

well you disagree with me, so i might be willing to say i believe you're absolutely wrong. or maybe you're the one. i suppose it depends on perspective. oh wait, back to that again.

My Mood
    Worried

*sips coffee* See, it's not that there are not absolutes, but that the mind perceiving them doesn't perceive them as such. Or, to be more precise, the mind perceiving them believes a different set of absolutes.

All of us would likely agree that stealing to feed our families if we had to is still stealing (an absolute state), but we'd do it to save our families (situational). A very different mind may see the absolute of stealing as wrong for anyone who is not Self. That doesn't mean stealing isn't wrong, just that the mind perceiving it is wired differently.

Got to run to work, but keep discussing! WOOF!

And yes, great topic!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

well you disagree with me, so i might be willing to say i believe you're absolutely wrong. or maybe you're the one. i suppose it depends on perspective. oh wait, back to that again.
    Yes, we are and while perspectivity (is that a word? Well, you know my meaning anyhow) can be a factor on a limited personal level do you really maintain that there is no absolute? One can reasonably argue cases where theft or murder even can be accepted as okay or some perverse definition of right, but what happens when we apply it to a possibly worse (perspective...yeah, yeah, yeah) wrong. In what instances or perspectives might something like rape or molestation be considered right or even not wrong? I mean I know people make those choices, but do you really think it's likely anyone does without considering it to be wrong? Does anyone (in your opinion) consider those things to be right?

If you rescue me

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't like to think about such things usually

But when I'm here already I'll try to explain what are my thoughts about it.
    In my opinion there's not right or wrong things one can do. Just things that one does or doesn't. People always try to set rules so everyone would thought about certain things in same way. Like stealing is always bad and giving is always good.

But stealing doesn't feel like a bad idea to thief .... I'm sure that he finds that it's either the only way or just a good thing to do. So it seems dam right thing to do for him.

Same goes for murder etc.

Kinda sad that we all follow *we all MUST follow* the path that people before us have imagined right. And actually no one cares if you were stealing for food, stealing your food back or just getting some more for yourself

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast