Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would Roland end his quest if he knew it was a loop?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • He would continue anyway

63 91.30%
  • He would cry off

6 8.70%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Would he renounce...even if he knew...?

Along the Path of the Beam Valkyrie is on a distinguished road Valkyrie's Avatar

Sorry this is a bit off topic but can someone give me page references in the book that deal with the horn? I want to reread that stuff.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

I don't think he'd ever cry it off. His stubborn mind would believe that this time was different, regardless of what he had been told or seen about a loop.

he did learn to open up. he did change throughout the series. there's clear evidence of that. Just not enough.

And the horn is symbolic. It wasn't important enough to him to pick it up. but was he obsessed with the Tower at this point? I assume so. Ever since he looked into the pink bend.

How much of a bitch is that. I forget my wallet and phone all the time. Imagine one little mistake that you have no idea is a mistake, and you still have to suffer through a whole shitstorm of adventures, deaths and problems, and once you finally reach the end, you realize you were totally screwed from the beginning.

what a bitch!

Along the Path of the Beam Valkyrie is on a distinguished road Valkyrie's Avatar

Mike, I think you may very well be right. I'm just not totally convinced that he would keep going. Part of the reason is because of how he begged Susannah to stay with him. It seemed like he did it out of an almost desperate need to have someone in his life. This is not the Roland we met in The Gunslinger. That Roland would have been just as likely to be glad for her to go on so he had fewer distractions. And you see moments all along where Roland feels left out, feels that need for companionship. Seems to me that he has started to reroute his thinking about what is important in life. I don't think he got even close to all the way there, but then, what incentive did he have? He didnt' know what was at the top of the tower, and frankly, I'd have been completely pissed off if Roland had forsaken his quest somewhere along the way. *I* wanted to go to the top as well!! But had I known ahead of time what awaited him there, I'd have begged him to go through the door with Susannah!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I think he only needs to wind the horn when he reaches the tower and cries out the names of those he has loved and lost - because the horn symbolises the fact that he has stopped and cared, by the very act of his picking it up on Jericho Hill.
    Agreed. The horn is not his salvation. It is just a symbol of it. He stops, he thinks, he cares, he loves.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I don't know... I really think Roland is so obsessed that he would continue to follow the beam.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I don't know... I really think Roland is so obsessed that he would continue to follow the beam.
    Same here, but I think it would change how he handles the quest.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Imagine one little mistake that you have no idea is a mistake, and you still have to suffer through a whole shitstorm of adventures, deaths and problems, and once you finally reach the end, you realize you were totally screwed from the beginning.

what a bitch!
    I think in a lot of ways, that is truly the story of peoples lives right there.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Weeeeeeelll since he forgets a lot everytime he loops, I think he would keep looping... I think something would happen in the loop that would make it so that he would have to keep going. He is driven by ka .. ka is a wheel - according to the book - and so he will keep following the same path overa nd over and over.

Traveler walterodim is on a distinguished road walterodim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Roland knew what would happen in the tower.
    I think sometime after the drawing of Sussanah he realises this.
    There are also other possibilities: after the palaver with Walter or after the dunnie encounter in Wizard and Glass.

Why do I think this?

Roland is very sick when he returns back from our world. Eddie and Susannah take care of him. In this half-comateuse period he has dreams. And when he heals he sounds and acts like a slightly different person.
    Now, this is expained with the company he's got, the new ka-tet. Since I'm a believer of the theory about saving his soul and taking care of the ones he loves, in order to succeed I ask myself this question: Does Roland ever let someone down again (purposely) after he drops Jake?
    No, he never ever does it again. Why not?

Remember how far he goes to save Jake. This makes me think about his realisation of doing things in a more human way. So many times in the series it was pointed out Roland let down the ones who loved him. This must have a reason, a very important one. Maybe he doesn't realise it right away. But I'm pretty sure he realises it somewhere before book 5. The answers about the tower questions are very suspicious if I think back.

Hence, Sussanah asks what is so important about the tower and what will happen when he gets there. Rolands answer is: I can't say.
    Sussanah thoughts: I can't say was not the same as I don't know.
    This always bugged me and I admit you can interpret it also in a different way.

But it makes too much sense for me.
    doghouse is always empty

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe the tower won't let Roland cry off, once he walks through the door the tower makes him obsessed about it been save but for the tower to be truly saved Roland must do things the right way or he continues the loop until he does.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Weather or not Roland knew, I don't think he should cry off. with all the previous people that have died on his quest for the Tower, most a part of his tet at one point or another, the only way he could do them justice and honor his dead was to reach the Tower and call there name. Otherwise their death's were in vain.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

a very good point

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing new:

In my opinion he would never believe it. There are things... that we are not able to see because they are too close to us. It happens to all of us. I hope it makes some sense.

And even if he did he would go anyway.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Nothing new:

In my opinion he would never believe it. There are things... that we are not able to see because they are too close to us. It happens to all of us. I hope it makes some sense.

And even if he did he would go anyway.
    Like misspellings and family problems. You know what it should be, so you can't see what it is?

Right?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. Somthing like that. *nods*

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

O.K.

Yep, I can see that part of it.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chassit View Post
    He would have thought Walter was lying to him. Roland has good reason not to trust Walter, in addition I do not believe that Roland would cry off regardless. Considering what he had sacrificed however many years before the beginning of the books, I just cannot see him giving up.

XIX
    My thoughts exactly. Roland would not have belived walters words. And if he did, he would have carried on anyway, deterand to break the loop i think.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think he would continue even if the memories of all the previous trips through the loops came flooding back. If for no other reason he'd say 'Ka wills it'. Honestly I believe if the memories from all the previous trips came back he'd work all the harder to reach the top, hes a Gunslinger, the heir of Arthur Eld, brother and Twin but not twin with The Crimson King and Agent of the White. It his nature and no matter how many times through his destiny lies in the Dark Tower.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    brother and Twin but not twin with The Crimson King and Agent of the White.
    This part of your post particularly interests me, could you explain?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland and the Crimson King, although related though Arthur Eld is in a way brothers even if separated by a thousand years or so. More importantly there are 'twins' through the series and Roland and the Crimson King are just that. Roland is an Agent of the White and the King and Agent of the Red. Both seek the same thing, the top room of the Tower. The King to bring darkness and chaos to the multi-verse, basically destroy it. Roland desires to save the Tower and the multi-verse.
    The King is totally mad and insane, zero control of self, indulgence, no care for others, no compassion. Roland is the dipolar opposite. Its this opposite nature of Rolands that makes me think he would always seek the Tower regardless of what he knew.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Roland and the Crimson King, although related though Arthur Eld is in a way brothers even if separated by a thousand years or so. More importantly there are 'twins' through the series and Roland and the Crimson King are just that. Roland is an Agent of the White and the King and Agent of the Red. Both seek the same thing, the top room of the Tower. The King to bring darkness and chaos to the multi-verse, basically destroy it. Roland desires to save the Tower and the multi-verse.
    The King is totally mad and insane, zero control of self, indulgence, no care for others, no compassion. Roland is the dipolar opposite. Its this opposite nature of Rolands that makes me think he would always seek the Tower regardless of what he knew.
    very well said aurora. i agree with a lot of that.

That is a very interesting perspective, Aurora. Thanks. I agree with most of it, except for saying that the CK has zero control of self, but he did go over the deep end when he "commited suicide".
    I have to say the Twins thing is especially interesting when we reach the Tower with Roland and he notices that the Crimson King's eyes and the Roses are the same shade of red...just something to chew on.

Country
    Country Flag

I think he would continue even if the memories of all the previous trips through the loops came flooding back.
    They do come back. He thinks and feels quite often in WoC that things had happened to him already..

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Good point Letti. Same thing happens at the very beginning of the Gunslinger Revised too.

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I don't remember it. In fact I am quite surprised to see such lines in the Wolves. I didn't remember them at all..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast