Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Make me read books

John F. Kennedy juliebcreative is on a distinguished road juliebcreative's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Water for Elephants too...SO GOOD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaberax View Post
    I would highly recommend Glen Cook's Black Company series. Sword and sorcery, gritty dark fantasy. Towers, wizards, blood & guts...

If you are a cat lover (and who isn't) there is a small good series by Gabriel King. It starts with a book called "The Wild Road."
    Cat fantasy...

Recently finished and highly recommend Water For Elephants.
    Circus train life set in the 1930's...

Finally, recently read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" and found it to be a great, tragic read.
    Dogs and a tragic family...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dear friends:

we have quite a lot of threads dedicated, in a way or other, to reading recommendations. This thread is going to be merged soon, most likely with that one.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Try the necroscope series by Brian Lumley its an intoxicating blend of vampires, spies and psychics with really wel told action
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Definitely one of the best series I have ever read.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Pillars of the Earth or Drood would be my picks, great books.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdk101 View Post
    I was thinking about Hearts in Atlantis, since that was the only book that had a strong reference in the DT series that I have not read yet.
    Hearts in Atlantis is good.
    do Hearts in Atlantis
    William Hurt does a WONDERFUL performance
    and Low Men in Yellow Coats is a great story.

of course the best thing
    about this audiobook is
    you get to hear Stephen King read the title story.
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Definitely one of the best series I have ever read.
    I endorse this post.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    Try the necroscope series by Brian Lumley its an intoxicating blend of vampires, spies and psychics with really wel told action
    Are you reading from the back of a cereal box or something?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Which Stephen King book should I recommend?

I have a friend who is going to be babysitting my little brother this week. Last time I gave her Eyes of the Dragon and Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, both of which she liked. She's my age (19-20), but I don't think she'd like the hardcore stuff (like Desperation/Regulators).

I was thinking of giving her The Shining, which is pretty scary but not that gory. Any other recommendations? I have most but not all of King's stuff.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice <ô> bango skank <ô> is on a distinguished road <ô> bango skank <ô>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

long walk. cant remember which book its in but it made me an SK fan. richy's books?
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i think carrie is a good one for a 19 year old girl

or on a personal front if she would not like the hard core ones, either short story four past midnight or bag of bones

Traveler dogbert is on a distinguished road dogbert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by <ô> bango skank <ô> View Post
    long walk. cant remember which book its in but it made me an SK fan. richy's books?
    yep long walk is one of the bachman books, and is awesome

I also loved the running man - the movie version is stupidly camp now but the book is pretty gritty and dark

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    She's my age (19-20), but I don't think she'd like the hardcore stuff (like Desperation/Regulators).

I was thinking of giving her The Shining, which is pretty scary but not that gory. Any other recommendations? I have most but not all of King's stuff.
    My immediete response to questions like this is "read the regulators"

howsabout firestarter?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent choice. Firestarter isn't explicitly horrific, but it's a great read. Duma Key comes to mind as another great read.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Body
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I would say The Stand.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that The Stand is a GREAT read, but it does have strong elements of gore in it in places.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. In the end, though, I gave her The Shining and I'll see how that goes from there. Its pretty restrained when compared to King's other work.

My Collection

John F. Kennedy Twilights Fire is on a distinguished road Twilights Fire's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The "where to begin" thread?

I've got a problem;

I am very interested in a lot of books and hearing people talk about books, reading up on forums about books and doing some online book shopping doesn't really help...

I just have so many books on my "to read" list that I don't know where to begin.. And my local online book supplier keeps sending me irresistible book offers: 3 english books for 25 euro's... I can't stop buying them :-)

I've got the following pile lying around;

Richard Adams - Shardik
    Charles Darwin - The origin of the species
    Larry Niven - Ringworld
    William Golding - Lord of the flies
    Ian M. Banks - Consider Phlebas
    Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue (Auto biography lead singer Red hot chili peppers)
    William Gibson - Neuromancer
    Neil Gaiman - American Gods
    H.G. Wells - The war of the worlds
    H.G Wells - The time machine
    Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Random I know :-)

I've got no clue which one to read first.... The problem is I do want to read them all but I can't choose which one to pick next because I want to read them all simultaneously
    And the pile is getting bigger.. I can at least name 50 books I want to read ASAP....

Dear DT.com members, help me choose :-)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is an age old question and every time I have read it the answer always boils down to the same thing. You must follow your heart and get into what feels good at the time.

It's impossible for people to say what would strike your fancy at any given time and those books are so diverse, it would be hard to even nail it down if someone did.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Time Machine

If you have not read it, do so
    It's incredible
    For a book as old that one to kick as much ass as it does is a phenomenal feat
    war of the worlds, while good, doesnt hold up as well

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

William Gibson - Neuromancer
    I recommend this one.

Hitchhiker's Guide if you'd like to laugh.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Put all the titles on pieces of paper in a hat and pull one out.
    This is the best advice I can give.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler Tristan is on a distinguished road Tristan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that is pretty random. I just bought the last Pendragon book and am trying to finish it. I've been reading those things for years, hah.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Twilights Fire: if you are a fast reader, it doesn't matter where you begin. Just do what Nikolett said, and you'll be through the whole pile before you know what hit you. Unfortunately, books go at a speed of light.

By the way, this thread is going to be merged, like, right now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast