Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Aw crap. Well, whoever wrote it, I still read it and loved it!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I just looked it up, and Superfudge is a Judy Blume book. I'm so confused.
    Indeed. It's a related story to Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Country
    Country Flag

OH!!!

Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I LOVED that book. It was probably one of the first "chapter books" that I read numerous times in elementary. Wayside School is Falling Down was fun, too, but I think I liked the first one better.

Man, more and more books are coming back to me.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I loved the Wayside School books too! Now there's a cartoon based on them, but it's not as great.
    I also had (and still have) this book called Pretzel, by Margaret Rey; it's about a dauchsund who grows up to be extremely long, and tries to win the heart of another dauchsund who doesn't care for long dogs. In the end, he saves her life, so they marry and have pups. It's pretty awesome.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Poisonbat

For me, Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. My grandmother used to read them to me and use the best voices. How the Elephant Got His Trunk was my favorite. "Mear Smear Nose" I guess second would have to be the story "The Frog Prince" I don't know who wrote it, but here is the link to the story.
    http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_D...gic_Jewel.html

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    OH!!!

Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I LOVED that book. It was probably one of the first "chapter books" that I read numerous times in elementary. Wayside School is Falling Down was fun, too, but I think I liked the first one better.

I just saw this thread and was coming in here to mention those two books. I actually liked the second one better.

Some other books I loved: the Beverly Cleary books(sp?), anything by Shel Silverstein (especially where the sidewalk ends), Babysitters club, Judy Blume (especially Forever, read that thing over and over again because it had sexy parts), The Little Princess, The Little House on the Prairie (the whole damn series) ...
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm lucky enough, because I tutor first grade reading at one of our urban schools, that I get to read a lot of the books again! The kids all seem to love the Dr. Suess books, and Strega Nona. And lots of others!

John

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Madaline L'Engle's Many waters was amazing... as were most of her books...

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, so many good ones listed here!

The ones that were important to me as a young reader were:

Tom Swift Jr. (and his flying lab!)
    Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators (Jupiter Jones FTW)
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising books
    The Hardy Boys
    John Christopher's "Tripod" books

As far as the S.E. Hinton books go, they are great but I didn't get exposed to them until I was around 12 or 13 and had moved to Tulsa, Ok where the books are set. It was cool to see the movies and see places that I'd actually been to

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

OH!!!

I forgot all about those.

Some other ones I enjoyed were The Secret Garden, and The Witches by Roald Dahl.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

oh. tales of a fourth grade nothing. superfudge. "eat it or wear it! eat it or wear it!" god, i loved that.

and cpu - love your new sig!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Books

That Was Then, This Is Now

The Outsiders

Indian in the Cupboard

The Hatchet

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Also there's one I can't remember the name too but when I was younger I loved it, think it was "Where the Sidewalk Ends" or something like that.

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

The Yearling, and Lassie!

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series
    The Ramona books
    A Little Princess
    The Cam Jensen series
    Huck Finn
    Richard Scarry when I was reeeeeally little
    Pimm's Place
    The Dark Crystal (read the book before I ever knew it was a movie)
    The Silver Crown
    Shel Silverstein's books
    Encyclopedia Brown (high fives CPU)
    Alex and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day
    A Dog Called Kitty
    Where The Red Fern Grows
    Maniac Magee
    Bill Peet's books (also when I was really little)
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Blume's Ramona books
    I loved the Ramona books too, though I believe they were written by Beverly Cleary.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Good call, they were.

Gunslinger Apprentice VastOne is on a distinguished road VastOne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Giving Tree

'but not for you Gunslinger, never for you. you darkle. you tinct. may I be brutally frank? You Go on.'

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's awesome that so many of us that love Stephen King have read so many of the same books (generally speaking).

When I was quite a bit younger, I loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale. The second one had illustrations that I couldn't get enough of.

I think they might have already been mentioned but The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs were also fun illustrations (and good little books!)

OH!!!

Miss Nelson is Missing!!!
    Last edited by Tiffany; 08-28-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Forgot one!

-Shel Silverstein

Anybody else ever read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg? I loved that book. Brother and sister run away from home and live in a museum where adventure follows. Anyone? It won the Newberry Award, so somebody else must have read it.

My Mood
    Dead

My old roommate used to talk about it all the time, she loved it. She knew she had a copy of it somewhere, but she still hasn't found it so I can read it, heh.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I used to love his books when I was really little. I remember we had this one that had a little bug on every single page. I can't even tell you how many times me and my sister would flip thru that book trying to be the first one to find that bug.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Anybody else ever read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg? I loved that book. Brother and sister run away from home and live in a museum where adventure follows. Anyone? It won the Newberry Award, so somebody else must have read it.
    I do remember the name of this book, and I'm almost 100% positive I read it, however I don't remember anything about it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I used to love his books when I was really little. I remember we had this one that had a little bug on every single page. I can't even tell you how many times me and my sister would flip thru that book trying to be the first one to find that bug.
    Yes, Goldbug! I used to love finding him as well. I suppose he was our generation's Waldo.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what about those books that taught manners? like how to share and be polite.. i had a few of those and when i was working in a daycare last summer they had some and it brought so many fond memories.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Country
    Country Flag

Bear, Your Manners Are Showing.

-Shel Silverstein

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bear, Your Manners Are Showing.

is there really something about bears? or was it only a figure of speech for the title?!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast