Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 683 of 714 FirstFirst ... 183 583 633 673 681 682 683 684 685 693 ... LastLast
Results 17,051 to 17,075 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I started watching The Outsider on HBO but then realized that I actually wanted to finish the book before I went any further (was about 1/3 of the way through when I stopped reading).

So I'm reading that now, and I can't stop picturing and hearing Ben Medehlson in my head as Ralph Anderson lol.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I started watching The Outsider on HBO but then realized that I actually wanted to finish the book before I went any further (was about 1/3 of the way through when I stopped reading).

So I'm reading that now, and I can't stop picturing and hearing Ben Medehlson in my head as Ralph Anderson lol.
    I'm close to finishing the book! But I'm avoiding the show at all costs as to NOT picture the actors in my head.

[resists insane urge to look up Ben Medehlson ]

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

I'm close to finishing the book! But I'm avoiding the show at all costs as to NOT picture the actors in my head.

come on, you know you can't resist... just do it... we all float down here....
    Spoiler:

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Funny. As I read The Stand I could not remember who played a lot of the characters and intentionally did not look it up so when I started the mini-series last night was surprised. The casting is pretty good but glad I was not picturing Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald as I read the book.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ben is not at ALL how I pictured Ralph in the book.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Not yet. I'm on a mission to read every book I own with only a few exceptions that I just can't resist.

See you all in a few years lol.
    I don't think I'll ever achieve this.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

come on, you know you can't resist... just do it... we all float down here....
    Spoiler:
    Asshole.

And I immediately saw the pic and said to myself: "Oh, the guy Bane killed."

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Funny. As I read The Stand I could not remember who played a lot of the characters and intentionally did not look it up so when I started the mini-series last night was surprised. The casting is pretty good but glad I was not picturing Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald as I read the book.

When I finally read The Stand a few years back, I had to try so hard to get the mini-series cast out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Ben is not at ALL how I pictured Ralph in the book.
    I agree. He's not even close to the Ralph in my head.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know I'm two years late, and not sure if this is the place for this post but I found a couple of hours spare yesterday and read elevation... I really dont know what to think about that book! Parts I loved and parts I really didn't... what was up with it? Short story made for a compilation that ran two pages over the quote???

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

From 12/23 - 12/26, I read The World Of Edward Gorey by Clifford Ross and Karen Wilkin.

My interest in Gorey took flight with John Bellairs' The House With A Clock In Its Walls and continued with other Bellairs books, but I also enjoyed his work with Mystery! and anything else I could turn up (although I have yet, I am ashamed to admit, to buy any of Gorey's publications - but it will happen, I assure you).

TWOEG contains an interview with Gorey, an assessment of his work, and pages of the work itself. A quick little thing, but interesting if you enjoy his work.

Some fun quotes from the man himself:

“Of course I never believe Matisse when he says, ‘Now don’t do these slapdash things that I do because I’ve spent years doing this and only I can do it with authority.’ I’m not saying that most of his paintings aren’t perfectly wonderful, but I’m not at all sure that somebody else couldn’t do just as well.”

“…‘painterly.’ Isn’t that what it’s called when they talk about Jasper Johns’s work? It’s ‘painterly,’ which means it’s sort of sloppy.”

“Unfortunately, I came across an anecdote about Dickens, which I won’t repeat, and I haven’t been able to read any since.” [Infuriatingly, I have not been able to find out what this was - aaaaaaghhh].

Does anyone remember the MTV show (possibly their first live-action show) Dead At 21? I loved it, and strangely, Gorey liked it too.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The show is so much better IMO.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

The show is so much better IMO.
    Really? You don't hear that very often. How so?

(with no spoilers if possible, please )

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

For Christmas, I received five books that I was quite jacked up to try out:

- The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley

- A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

- The Slow Regard Of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

- The Everyman's Library omnibus edition of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy

I chose to begin with The Loney (which I believe is commonly described as new gothic horror, or something similar) and read it from 1/5 - 1/11.

I discovered The Loney in a roundabout way - on a forum website (possibly TDT, possibly elsewhere), someone posted a link to a book and told people to check out a book (it might've been something by Pete Townshend, either his memoir or his novel), and at the bottom of that page was an ad or notice about a then-forthcoming book whose cover and description were mighty intriguing: Hurley's since-released Starve Acre. Since a sample for Starve Acre wasn't available, I checked to see if he had anything else and found his two earlier novels: The Loney and Devil's Day. The descriptions for both won me over, but the deal was sealed when I read the sample; I mean, check out The Loney's opening paragraph:

It had certainly been a wild end to the autumn. On the Heath a gale stripped the glorious blaze of colour from Kenwood to Parliament Hill in a matter of hours, leaving several old oaks and beeches dead. Mist and silence followed and then, after a few days, there was only the smell of rotting and bonfires.
    ...this immediately whisked me off into precisely the atmosphere I'd long craved - fantastic! When "seeding" my Christmas gift list, I almost requested both Hurley books, but instead decided to spread it around, and hold off on Devil's Day until after having actually read The Loney, which went thus:

Hurley’s style is very much what I call soft-pedal horror, heavy on atmosphere and smooth prose (which I enjoy and appreciate), but soft on the actual horror, by which I mean, even when something truly horrible actually happens, it doesn't feel horrible, it is edgeless, the same atmospheric prose with which Hurley might relay a comfortable conversation or pleasant sunset. Now, I don't need swinging axes or buckets of blood, but I need to feel something creepy or threatening; for example, in Peter Straub's Ghost Story, there was almost never anything gory happening around Gregory Bate, but when he looked at you with those gold eyes... Straub had a way of communicating threat, fear, and evil while hosting you in a fine library, and that's what I'm looking for (I suppose I'm always looking for an author who can provide me with a stream of Ghost Stories and Shadowlands).

Novels often tantalize the reader with an “object to be named later” (or “object behind the curtain,” if you like), which builds atmosphere and propels the reader along the crest of story’s wave. The thing is, in the end, the writer must deliver, and if he doesn’t, any excitement or other anticipatory interest is retroactively ruined. The Loney had two such objects, both being past events that changed a character in a significant way. In one case, something truly significant and noteworthy had happened - Hurley delivered on this point. In the second case, the event was something utterly banal and therefore unable to bear the weight logically (it didn't warrant the consequences attributed to it in the story) or structurally (it couldn't meet the expectations of a late reveal) - mere background, presented at precisely the point that demanded real substance. This was a failure, and a significant one.

Although The Loney wasn't quite what I’d expected, it still had a good story and great writing - I do recommend it to anyone who, after reading the description and sample for themselves, suspects it might be for them. I will definitely read more of Hurley's work, but where I’d expected to immediately need to jump into Devil’s Day upon completing The Loney, I’m actually okay with waiting a while - and the search for the next “gotta have” author continues...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    From 12/23 - 12/26, I read The World Of Edward Gorey by Clifford Ross and Karen Wilkin.

My interest in Gorey took flight with John Bellairs' The House With A Clock In Its Walls and continued with other Bellairs books, but I also enjoyed his work with Mystery! and anything else I could turn up (although I have yet, I am ashamed to admit, to buy any of Gorey's publications - but it will happen, I assure you).

TWOEG contains an interview with Gorey, an assessment of his work, and pages of the work itself. A quick little thing, but interesting if you enjoy his work.

Some fun quotes from the man himself:

“Of course I never believe Matisse when he says, ‘Now don’t do these slapdash things that I do because I’ve spent years doing this and only I can do it with authority.’ I’m not saying that most of his paintings aren’t perfectly wonderful, but I’m not at all sure that somebody else couldn’t do just as well.”

“…‘painterly.’ Isn’t that what it’s called when they talk about Jasper Johns’s work? It’s ‘painterly,’ which means it’s sort of sloppy.”

“Unfortunately, I came across an anecdote about Dickens, which I won’t repeat, and I haven’t been able to read any since.” [Infuriatingly, I have not been able to find out what this was - aaaaaaghhh].

Does anyone remember the MTV show (possibly their first live-action show) Dead At 21? I loved it, and strangely, Gorey liked it too.
    I love Edward Gorey. Have you been to his house before?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I haven't, but we occasionally drive to that area and really have to fit it in.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I haven't, but we occasionally drive to that area and really have to fit it in.
    Oh you need to. They have quite a collection of his stuff. Plus it's interesting to see where he lived. I've been there a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

When I finally read The Stand a few years back, I had to try so hard to get the mini-series cast out of my head.
    I had this same issue when I first tried to read The Stand. I had a hard time getting into because all I could picture were Molly Ringwald, Gary Sinise, and Laura San Giacomo. All people that I really did not want to picture

When I went back years later to finally read it I really had to struggle hard to get those images out of my head, but it was not easy. Funny how a visual adaptation can affect your enjoyment of a story.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Because I first read The Stand prior to the miniseries, I have no problem from picturing the cast.

I do sometimes picture Shawnee Smith, but that's...for other reasons having nothing to do with The Stand.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rosemay Baby... lovin the read!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Because I first read The Stand prior to the miniseries, I have no problem from picturing the cast.

I do sometimes picture Shawnee Smith, but that's...for other reasons having nothing to do with The Stand.
    I really wish I had read it prior to watching the miniseries. Funny thing is that it had been forever since I had seen the miniseries, and I honestly have little memory of what actually happens in it, but for some reason most of the actors are so vivid in my mind. I can't wait until the new series comes out. It'll be nice to get some new images in my head.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

After putting The Loney to bed, I moved on to A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay, which had been recommended by someone here on TDT in response to my request for something involving demonic possession, and has been read by many of you. I read AHFOG from 1/12 - 1/20.

AHFOG was the opposite of The Loney: less purely enjoyable prose, but much more meat on its bones and actual nefarious doings afoot. [And when I say "less purely enjoyable prose," it's not that the writing is actually bad; AHFOG's documentary nature (mostly first-person recollection; the rest is an informal blog) undoubtedly gives it the flavor it has. The upshot is that, even having read AHFOG, I don’t feel that I know what Tremblay’s writing is actually like, and so one day I will read his next novel (Disappearance At Devil’s Rock).]

As most of you know, the central issue here is a teenage girl (Marjorie) that may be possessed by a demon - is she or isn't she? - and what goes on in her family, including a reality TV show documenting the whole thing. I have lots to say about what unfolds, but will put it behind a spoiler for those of you who have yet to read this (but those of you who have read it, join me inside, won't you?).

Spoiler:
    I figured Tremblay would be coy about revealing the truth behind the events of the book, and I was not wrong. Although I don't believe possession is 100% ruled out, in the end things look much more conventional (Marjorie is shown doing things of her own disturbed volition). Still, I wonder about some of it...

Around halfway through AHFOG, I started to wonder if little sister Merry might be the source of the trouble, if she is evil or possessed, or even the devil himself, manipulating Marjorie's (and the family's) downward spiral. Once this occurred to me, I started looking for clues to this; consider the following:

- The staircase was split into 3 sections: 6 steps, 5 steps, 6 steps (4 – 5). Merry said “how I complained about that missing sixth stair in the middle” (5), and if she was evil, she would indeed want it to be 6-6-6 and consider the section with 5 to be missing one and not merely different. When I first read this, I just thought the near-reference to 666 was a cheesy and unsubtle horror touch, a wink, but then if Merry was thinking that 6-6-6 would've felt "right," maybe was telling us that someone else was in her head.

- Her blog and library suggest that she likes keeping demonic horror on people’s minds (spreading the word, as it were) while simultaneously undercutting any truth behind it (calling to mind the old saw that “the devil’s greatest trick is convincing the world that he doesn’t exist,” etc.)

- “‘…you’re good at doing voices, Merry.’ ‘I am?’ Both mom and Marjorie groaned. 'Yes, you’ve always been great at doing impressions and funny little voices.’” (77) This seems like the type of skill a lightly possessed ("lightly" as in, the demon is remaining in the background for now) person might have.

- 2s and 3s sometimes pop up, possibly coincidence, or possibly because 2 x 3 = 6. Merry is 23, and lives in a 2-bedroom condo on the third floor (102).

- There were 6 episodes of The Possession (10), which was produced by Sixth Finger Productions (92).

- “What kind of playroom would it be if it wasn’t in a state of beautiful chaos?” (109) [Given that I was in clue-hunting mode, the mention of chaos suggested demonic activity; on its own, this is meaningless, of course.]

- “…Fangoria has no idea I am who I really am... That’s important to me. I feel…validated.” (113) Viewed through the lens of suspicion, this one gave me the creepy-crawlies.

I thought that something would pop up by the end to really nail it home, a special zinger comment in the interview or something, but it never happened.

...on the other hand, the entire unclear chaotic story was told by Merry, Merry was the one who poisoned the sauce, and it did get cold as Merry's interview came to a close...

I do recommend this.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved AHFOG, Cabin at The End Of the World was even better IMHO.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Yeehaw

From 1/21 - 1/22 I read Patrick Rothfuss's The Slow Regard Of Silent Things, a tiny (161 small pages) novella focusing on a minor character (Auri) from Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle series. [No one who hasn't read The Name Of The Wind should bother with this (it's no entry point for those who'd like to try out some Rothfuss), but if you have read and enjoyed it and would like to take a peek behind the walls and under the stones, this may be for you.]

It's pretty much what I'd expected: nice writing, with information that appeals to me as a fan of Rothfuss and this series, but non-essential.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

From 1/22 - 1/27, I read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere ("author's preferred text," FYI).

I quite liked this - I love Gaiman's relaxed yet colorful style - but it wasn't quite what I'd thought it would be, as I was unaware that humor was such a huge part of what it was (my research has since shown that much of Gaiman's output like this). Neverwhere was a bit of an adventure for main character Richard Mayhew, a kind of everyman standing in for the reader, sharing our reactions to the outlandish things he witnessed and participated in. It was interesting and had a satisfying conclusion.

This edition came with a bonus Neverwhere-related short story (How The Marquis Got His Coat Back), which was also quite enjoyable.

I will definitely read more Gaiman at some point (I really must get Coraline).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I forgot to add: while I was editing my post about A Head Full Of Ghosts, my TDT browser window did like a "reset" kind of thing; I didn't know why, but I looked at the top of the page for anything that might have changed. I'm not sure if anything had changed, but the only thing that caught my eye was where it says You Have __ Unread Posts. The number was 66. Of course it was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 683 of 714 FirstFirst ... 183 583 633 673 681 682 683 684 685 693 ... LastLast