Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 653 of 714 FirstFirst ... 153 553 603 643 651 652 653 654 655 663 703 ... LastLast
Results 16,301 to 16,325 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently finished John Bellairs' The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn and began Washington Irving's The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow (which I've read before, re-reading now as it's a nice October read).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Traveler Recouper will become famous soon enough

I can see why The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow would be a nice October read. I've recently started The Gunslinger. I'm very new to Steven King.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Grady Hendrix - We Sold Our Souls. It's everything Black Mad Wheel (Malerman) failed to be. Highly recommended.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished Washington Irving's The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and began reading a few selected pieces from a Poe collection.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished my brief Poe re-read, which included:

Shadow - A Parable
    Silence - A Fable
    Berenice
    The Fall Of The House Of Usher
    A Descent Into The Maelstrom
    The Masque Of The Red Death
    The Tell-Tale Heart

Enjoyable, but I miscalculated on choosing ones that would suit a Halloween-time read (For example, A Descent Into The Maelstrom is about a boat sucked into a whirlpool - not much creepy about that, although it isn't a bad story).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just began Collected Ghost Stories by M.R. James, an English writer best known for his ghost stories, but who was also a respected medievalist scholar who once called James Joyce "that prostitutor of life and language." His ghost stories were originally published from 1904 - 1928.

This collection was published by Oxford University Press, which I mentioned in a previous post (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1122806) about another of their collections (Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales, described more fully here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1126211). As with GT, CGS has a striking cover design (which I'd post here, if not for the fact that I have no idea how to do so).

As I mentioned in that post, I'm reading up on older horror; this collection is part of that. Because I don't want to track down 10 - 15 collections per author, I like to find definitive collections when I can, and this one seems to fit the bill; Oxford describes it as "the only one-volume edition to include all the published stories included in M. R. James' 1931 Collected Ghost Stories [an older collection pretty much considered the comprehensive MRJ omnibus], plus three uncollected tales."

About the writing itself, Oxford says, "His classic supernatural tales draw on the terrors of the everyday, in which documents and objects unleash terrible forces, often in closed rooms and nighttime settings where imagination runs riot. Lonely country houses, remote inns, ancient churches or the manuscript collections of great libraries provide settings for unbearable menace from creatures seeking retribution and harm. These stories have lost none of their power to unsettle and disturb."

You can see more info (including that cover) at https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...?lang=en&cc=us.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu. It took me nearly three months and every minute spent felt like a chore. The last chapter is a sort of prequel to Three Body Problem.

This isn't the Cixin Liu you're looking for.

I'm also reading the Ministry biography by Al Jurgensen. Man, what a nutbag. It's a very quick and fun read.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Fisherman by John Langan. Entertaining enough, but will probably end up forgotten over time. Odd that a short book (265ish) took me so long to read. Not quite sure why reddit thinks this book is an all timer

Country
    Country Flag

Not really surprised it took you so long. The writing is dense but not much actually happens. I didn't even finish it. The ending is very obvious and if I ever wanted to read Peter Straub, I'll just read Peter Straub and not someone with a similar style.

I just started Olympos by Dan Simmons. This might take a while. And that's okay, I've ran out of Simmons books that interest me so I'll savour it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Not really surprised it took you so long. The writing is dense but not much actually happens. I didn't even finish it. The ending is very obvious and if I ever wanted to read Peter Straub, I'll just read Peter Straub and not someone with a similar style.
    Sick burn. I read this as you delivering it in the voice of david spade back when he did the Hollywood Minute

“I liked the Family Guy the first time I saw it...when it was called The Simpsons”

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading Nick Cutter's "Little Heaven" - I've already read The Troop and The Deep, and so far I'm really enjoying Little Heaven, it's quite interesting to read his take on Gunslingers

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone read Drood by Simmons? Any good? Worth reading? I’m hesitant after my last foray into his odd ball stuff. I have it just never bothered. Any one else read it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Depends on what you consider "odd ball stuff."

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, I'm curious what you mean by odd ball stuff as well?

I started Drood, and got maybe 1/3 in but then put it down. I enjoyed what I read, but for some reason I got readers block and didn't read anything for awhile which happens to me sometimes. I've been wanting to go back and read it but just haven't had the time to yet.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hyperion series I powered through. I did not enjoy it though. Hard read..... BUT Loved Terror, Summer of Night and others.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Hyperion series I powered through. I did not enjoy it though. Hard read..... BUT Loved Terror, Summer of Night and others.
    Drood (Charles Dickens/Wilkie Collins) falls into Simmons' literary historical novel catalogue with the likes of The Crook Factory (Ernest Hemingway) and The Fifth Element (Sherlock Holmes). I have read all of them but struggled at times to finish. That said I think highly enough of his writing that I find it worth the effort.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Drood (Charles Dickens/Wilkie Collins) falls into Simmons' literary historical novel catalogue with the likes of The Crook Factory (Ernest Hemingway) and The Fifth Element (Sherlock Holmes). I have read all of them but struggled at times to finish. That said I think highly enough of his writing that I find it worth the effort.
    I am trying to find the link you shared long ago on the gang from Summer of Night... it was on line.. when they grow up. You still have that mate?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Have you read Song of Kali, Kris?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Have you read Song of Kali, Kris?
    No man, good?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It’s his first novel and pretty much a classic! Might get you started looking for the beautiful lettered edition too (15 copies - Jerome has one)

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I am trying to find the link you shared long ago on the gang from Summer of Night... it was on line.. when they grow up. You still have that mate?
    Unfortunately Dan's website has been down for a while; all that is available at this time is the message board.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Anyone read Drood by Simmons? Any good? Worth reading? I’m hesitant after my last foray into his odd ball stuff. I have it just never bothered. Any one else read it?
    It's probably closest in style to The Terror, but more digressive and many more research dumps. Many reviewers I've seen have loved Terror did not care as much for Drood.

Personally I prefer Drood, but I'm in the minority, I think. Both are excellent.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Would Drood be considered historical fiction?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Would Drood be considered historical fiction?
    Sort of, I guess. The book mixes fiction with biographical facts from the lives of Charles Dickens and fellow author (and friend) Wilkie Collins - plus other historical and literary figures of the Victorian era.
    It's a fictionalized account of the last five years of Dickens' life.

Not a favorite by far.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Philip K Dick - The Minority Report

Tapping out on Olympos on page 11. It's already a huge step down from Ilium. The reviews on Goodreads are SAVAGE. I actually laughed out loud at how personally offended some readers seemed by the book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 653 of 714 FirstFirst ... 153 553 603 643 651 652 653 654 655 663 703 ... LastLast