Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Haven Foundation Fundraiser-Change

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 2018 Haven Foundation Fundraiser-Change

Mr. King and the board of The Haven Foundation have decided to make their foundation private, and no longer will accept public donations. As such, we will not have a HF fundraiser in 2018.

I’m very proud of what we accomplished over the years, not only for The Haven Foundation, but for our members and the collecting community. Numerous auction winners have received one-of-a-kind King Books and art. Every Grand Prize was a book inscribed by Stephen King, and every winner was someone known to the community at TheDarkTower.org.

Each year we tried to top the previous year with a book that became priceless to the winner. Our apex, or acme if you will, may have been the personalized Bill Hodges Trilogy where King inscribed all three books with quotes from within.

As a group we raised over $100,000 for The Haven Foundation!

There are too many booksellers, artists, donors and members to thank in this notice, but rest assured they know who they are, and how much their help was appreciated.

Your humble owner entrusted with maintaining the site,

Jerome Smith

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

It cost Jerome personal money to run this site. How about a scaled back foundation auction for the benefit of this site?

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    It cost Jerome personal money to run this site. How about a scaled back foundation auction for the benefit of this site?

Mulleins
    Every year around December 1st, I ask for donations to not only keep the site running, but to also keep it ad free. Anyone who's been to even popular(rich) sites knows that pop-ups have become ubiquitous.
    I don't want members that look at an auction to all of sudden be getting side bar ads on their email, or other internet searches for King stuff on ebay, etc.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mulleins
    I love this idea. And take a process of the profit to buy a nice King item for the grand prize!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

What are the benefits of making a foundation private?

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

No audit. No accountability. No requirements for fund distribution. No public scrutiny/accounability

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm not sure what the thrust of this thread is establishing. Is it being suggested that we switch the benficiary of the annual haven fund raiser to the site and it's associated fees? Is the traditional "December fund raiser for site fee's" replacing Haven as the beneficiary since Haven will no longer accept donations? Or is the "Site Fee" contribution still going to be in effect come 12/1 and another charity chosen for the annual (2018) fundraiser?

Don't get me wrong I have long been an advocate for site fee's and am still committed to helping out a site sponsored charity, I'm just seeking a little clarity is all. Set me straight and wind me up. Even though I am "Retired" I am still one to be counted on to pony up in either case.

Just seeking direction and clarity is all if, that is, it is currently available.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Shame. I was really looking forward to participating this year for the first time.

I've only been a member for a very short time but this site has already been useful on countless occasions. I love the idea of a site-run fundraiser and will also be happy to donate to the site directly.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

There will be a site donation period soon don't worry

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    What are the benefits of making a foundation private?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    No audit. No accountability. No requirements for fund distribution. No public scrutiny/accounability
    Roseannebarr you are correct.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm not sure what the thrust of this thread is establishing. Is it being suggested that we switch the benficiary of the annual haven fund raiser to the site and it's associated fees? Is the traditional "December fund raiser for site fee's" replacing Haven as the beneficiary since Haven will no longer accept donations? Or is the "Site Fee" contribution still going to be in effect come 12/1 and another charity chosen for the annual (2018) fundraiser?

Don't get me wrong I have long been an advocate for site fee's and am still committed to helping out a site sponsored charity, I'm just seeking a little clarity is all. Set me straight and wind me up. Even though I am "Retired" I am still one to be counted on to pony up in either case.

Just seeking direction and clarity is all if, that is, it is currently available.
    Read post #1. I think it is clear. No where have I mentioned another charity.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is a shame about the fund and some amazing work has been done by this site.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I need to update my avatar/info
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Mulleins
    I am always up for pitching in to keep the site what it is now.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mulleins
    I love this idea!

But is there any chance we can push it back to January now that we won't be doing the Haven Fund stuff anymore? Jerome deserves our help, but I always have a hard time finding spare change during December...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I could run the site fundraiser December and January.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Sorry to hear that the Haven board wont accept any more private donations.

A fundraiser for the site sounds excellent!

Citizen of Gilead andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I’m happy to contribute to help keep this site helpful, insightful and ad-free 👍
    Wanted:
    Carrie PS Publishing Lettered ‘G’
    Charlie the Choo Choo U.K. S/L #157
    Dark Tower Portfolio #157

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Read post #1. I think it is clear. No where have I mentioned another charity.

Oops, my bad. No Haven Fund Raiser in 2018. Got it. Are we considering replacing with another charity or just doing the site fee donation in December and nothing more going forward?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I could run the site fundraiser December and January.
    Or, keep it going to the traditional May 19th date, subtract funds for the site fees and any monies left over contribute to other charities/member situations? Just to be clear, I'm down with the program whatever gets decided. Like I said, just wind me up and point me in the proper direction. lol lol

Edit: I've long advocated site fee contributions. There is no reason a single person should have to bear all the fiscal responsibility for something we ALL benefit from and enjoy regularly.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as other charities are concerned, I had considered the Bangor Public Library. A $5K donation gets the site recognized at the library, and we can direct where the money is spent (teen readers, children, etc.)
    Some of the problems I foresee are:
    • Contributors from the past-Small press, artists, members etc. may not be as motivated to donate for a library as they were for a foundation that specifically helped writers and artists
    • King himself may not want to participate by inscribing the grand prize.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I’ll have to donate double site fees this year. Missed it last year cos of comas n’ shit.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but because of the decision to go private and pretty much tell us to go fuck ourselves, I'm of the mindset to go in a completely different direction, away from King. He's not going to do the grand prize anymore, why would he? So no, screw King, and screw Bangor. Might be blasphemy, but that's how I feel.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

This is a very odd development from the foundation.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I don't know how the rest of you feel, but because of the decision to go private and pretty much tell us to go fuck ourselves, I'm of the mindset to go in a completely different direction, away from King. He's not going to do the grand prize anymore, why would he? So no, screw King, and screw Bangor. Might be blasphemy, but that's how I feel.
    Good point and I kinda agree. There is certainly no shortage of reputable charities and I'm confident we can, together, come up with a worthy grand prize as well as othe auction items as we've managed to do over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    This is a very odd development from the foundation.
    Not really. There are tax, management and other valid reasons for the change. Especially if it is funded and King feels there are other worthy causes to focus on.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast