Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
My apologies because I'm sure you've gone over this numerous times, but just curious how you set up the groupings? Why is it 1 vs 5 and 4 vs 8? Instead of 1 vs 8 and 4 vs 5? Seems like lots of good films can get eliminated since the highest are going against the highest and lesser ranked films go against each other, allowing those to move on further. I know it likely won't make any difference once we get down to the finals, but would affect the overall ranking of the films.
First, no apologies necessary.

I've shared my process and system before but I'm always happy to post a refresher. It might not be the most perfect way, but it's how we've done pretty much all of the tournaments I've run. Essentially, after the first round where seeding is random, all movies are ranked by their cumulative percentage. In earlier rounds, when we have 32 groups, that means the top 32 movies are seeded first in each group, from 1 to 32. Then the next 32 are seeded second, again from 1 to 32. And so on. That means that when we get to 16 or 8 or 4 groups, the process is the same. In this round we have the top four going to the top spot in groups 1 through 4, and the bottom four going as second in the same order.

I hope that makes sense?