Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Title translations... oddities

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Title translations... oddities

The other thread in which we were discussing the german Dark Tower titles, made me think about this thread :

What about odd/ creative/poetic / unusual title translations? King or not.

¤ Confusing one :
    - NIGHSHIFT COLLECTION. French title : DANSE MACABRE
    - DANSE MACABRE (Steve, that's confusing now!) French title, part 1 : ANATOMIE DE L'HORREUR (lit. Anatomy of the horror). Part 2 : PAGES NOIRES (lit. Black Pages. or. Dark Pages).

¤ NEEDFUL THINGS. French title : BAZAAR. aka. LE BAZAAR DE L'EPOUVANTE (lit. the bazaar of the scary things).

¤ DEAD ZONE. The very first french title was : L'ACCIDENT (lit. The Accident).

¤ THE STAND. French title : LE FLEAU. (lit. : the plague).

¤ GERALD'S GAME. French title : JESSIE.

¤ JUST AFTER SUNSET. French title : JUSTE AVANT LE CREPUSCULE (lit. : just before dawn).

¤ THE LONG WALK. French title : MARCHE OU CREVE (lit. : Walk or Die).
    Comment : i actually prefer the french title.

¤ FULL DARK, NO STARS : french title. NUIT NOIRE, ETOILES MORTES (lit. : DARK NIGHT, DEAD STARS).
    I believe that the french title, is a good translation as it is not easy to translate otherwise.

¤ THINNER. French title : LA PEAU SUR LES OS (lit. : a french expression for saying : Skinny. It literally translates to : THE SKIN ON THE BONES).

¤ FROM A BUICK 8. French title : ROADMASTER
    Well... Why not. The translation of the title would have been a bit complicated i think.

¤ SHINING. First french title : L'ENFANT LUMIERE (lit. : The Shining Kid)

¤ THE TALISMAN. First french title : LE TALISMAN DES TERRITOIRES (lit. : the talisman of the territories)

¤ THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. French title : LA CLE DES VENTS (lit. : the key of winds).
    I find this translation quite poetic...

-----

¤ BATTLEGROUND (short story). Prior to the publication of the collection, the story was published in a french magazine, with the title : ATTAQUE A NAINS ARMES. (lit. : attack with armed midgets). I quite like this title, because it has a play on word with "attacked with bare hands", and i think that it's almost 'poetic'.

------------------------
    NOT KING RELATED :

¤ Dan Simmon's CARRION COMFORT. French title : L'ECHIQUIER DU MAL (lit. : the chessboard of evil).
    I personnally prefer this french title. Still need to read the book though....

¤ JK Rowling's CASUAL VANCY. French title : UNE PLACE A PRENDRE (lit. : a seat to take. or : a position to take).
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting differences.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

I remember visiting the back room of King's office where all the translated editions were laid out and playing a game of "what book do you think this is?" based on the titles and cover art!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I remember visiting the back room of King's office where all the translated editions were laid out and playing a game of "what book do you think this is?" based on the titles and cover art!
    Haha, that's great! I would love to see King's face trying to figure them out.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Some funny translations in spanish:

Salem's Lot: La hora del vampiro (the vampire hour)
    The Shining: Insólito esplendor (insolit shining)
    The stand: La danza de la muerte (the dance of the death)
    Firestarter: Ojos de fuego (fire eyes)
    The gunslinger: La hierba del diablo (Devil's weed)
    Needful things: la tienda de los deseos malignos (the store of the evil wishes)
    The green mile: el pasillo de la muerte (the death's hallway)
    Roadwork: carretera maldita (evil road)
    The regulators: posesión (posession)

And the worst of all:

Skeleton crew:

It was divided into three different books, with the following titles:

La expedición (The expedition), La niebla (The Mist) and Historias fantásticas (Fantastic stories). AND....two of the stores were left behind: Nona and The Raft, which were later included in another book called Dos historias para no dormir (two stories to prevent sleep)
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The stand: La danza de la muerte (the dance of the death)
    Dos historias para no dormir (two stories to prevent sleep)
    >>>> i kind of like those titles. The last one keeps, i think, the main idea of "Nightshift Collection" : stories to keep you awake during your nightshift... [edit : you said that it was for Skeleton Crew, not NIGHTSHIFT...]

SKELETON CREW, was simply called : BRUME (lit. : THE MIST)
    In pocket books, it was divided in 2 volumes : BRUME - LA FAUCHEUSE (lit : THE MIST - THE REAPER, cf the reaper's image), & BRUME - PARANOIA (cf Paranoid : a chant)

I always loved the pocket cover for the first of those 2 volumes :
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Gunslinger as Devil's Weed

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

FRENCH NIGHT SHIFT.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

A question. Does anyone know what book this is? The title is "Satan's Store", which I thought would be Needful Things, but then I looked and I have a Needful Things in the same set of books, so that's not it. Can't go by the artwork, as most of these books have very unrelated artwork. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF (SILVER BULLET) ITALY

THE ONLY CLUE THE FULL MOON (ART by JOHN ALCORN)

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    A question. Does anyone know what book this is? The title is "Satan's Store", which I thought would be Needful Things, but then I looked and I have a Needful Things in the same set of books, so that's not it. Can't go by the artwork, as most of these books have very unrelated artwork. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

From what I found This book PIGGY SATAN is made up from STEPHEN KING stories from different KING books.35,000 print run 1996

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post

From what I found This book PIGGY SATAN is made up from STEPHEN KING stories from different KING books.35,000 print run 1996
    Bruce - how the hell do you know this shit ??? Are you, like, the Wizard of Oz, but real ????
    We all float down here!

Bruce - how the hell do you know this shit ??? Are you, like, the Wizard of Oz, but real ???? [/QUOTE]

HERE IN THE STATES(OZ) HE HAVE A THING CALLED THE INTERNET

By the way THAT'STO YOU.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We Down Under have heard rumours, mostly unsubstantiated, of this newfangled interwebby whosimabob of which you speak - you Americans are a canny mob, aren't ye ????
    We all float down here!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Walk or die mother fuckers, walk or die.

Bruce - how the hell do you know this shit ??? Are you, like, the Wizard of Oz, but real ???? [/QUOTE]

GRANT i WILL LET YOU IN ON MY SECRET IF YOU PROMISE NOT TO TELL.
    Spoiler:

And if you are still not sure "SMELL THE SHOES"

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The page with the text is the first page of Shawshank. I can't identify the listed stories by their titles - they are nothing like any King titles I've ever seen. Shawshank itself is here titled "A Road from Hell", so if not for the text I'd have never known.

They called the whole collection Satan's Moneybox (literal translation from Russian), and translated it as "Satan's Store".

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To add to what Jean said:
    Apparently, this compilation combines stories from 2 different King books: the first two - Дорога из ада and Ученик дьявола (literally The Devil's Pupil) are Shawshank Redemption and Apt Pupil, respectively. The other 12 stories are from Night Shift (further research needed to determine, which ones). It is further mentioned in one of the sources that all titles were completely changed when translated to Russian, because that was the typical approach used by book publishers in the former Soviet Union in the '90s. This particular book was published in Kharkov (Ukraine).
    If you are going through hell - keep going

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

awesome guess, about The Devil's Pupil! Now, who do you think Мартовский Выползень could be?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My brain almost gets to the boiling point trying to guess that I absolutely love the word "выползень" and use it quite often in different situations, but I am totally at a loss as to what might have prompted the translator/editors to use it as part of the title. (I also wonder if there is a sort of a corresponding word in English - but that's offtopic.)
    I think I might get back to this brain-teaser tomorrow.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Does the title in question not have an English translation? And, after we guess, i can post the first page so we can see the answer.

INDEX TITLES I FOUND
    ROAD FROM HELL 3-110
    DEVIL'S DESCIPLE 111-316
    BURAN 317-334
    BLACK SPOT 335-366
    MARCH VYPOIZEN 367-377
    PARIS 378-398
    FLOWERS FOR THE VICTIMS 399-407
    WHO'S NEXT? 408-439
    SONS OF BITCHES 440-462
    INSIGHTS 463-489
    SOMEONE WHO IS NEVER WRONG 490-524
    NEW TECHNIQUE 525-539
    FUCKING CAR 540-560
    DROWNED OUT OF THE CLOSET 561-575.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My guesses:

ROAD FROM HELL (novella) - Shawshank Redemption
    DEVIL'S DESCIPLE (novella) - Apt Pupil
    BURAN (short story)
    BLACK SPOT (short story) - I Am The Doorway
    MARCH VYPOIZEN (short story)
    PARIS (short story)
    FLOWERS FOR THE VICTIMS (short story) - The Man Who Loved Flowers
    WHO'S NEXT? (short story)
    SONS OF BITCHES (short story) - Children Of the Corn
    INSIGHTS (short story)
    SOMEONE WHO IS NEVER WRONG (short story)
    NEW TECHNIQUE (short story) - Quitters Inc.
    FUCKING CAR (short story) - Trucks
    DROWNED OUT OF THE CLOSET (short story)

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Someone Who Is Never Wrong-- I Know What You Need perhaps?
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Country
    Country Flag

Does the title in question not have an English translation? And, after we guess, i can post the first page so we can see the answer.
    I don't think it can be properly translated. The word that I said I loved is a made-up word, based on wordplay, I think.
    My best attempt at describing it in English would be "something that crawls (out of somewhere or from under something)". Does it make sense?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast