Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Finally on my way!!! YAY!! *spoilers

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Finally on my way!!! YAY!! *spoilers

I have tried to read DT twice in the past and got hung up both times when he starts talking about Odetta/Detta in The Drawing of The Three.

Well about a month ago I decided I would start the series and make it through if I had to chain the second book to my hand and tape my eyes open. Well, it almost came to that this time, I did put the book down only a few pages into the whole background on O/Detta but then just sat down one morning and plowed through it. I have to say this is the first time I skipped a few pages in one of his books just so I could get through it, but it worked (maybe next time I will be able to read them all). Once through the first few pages of background on her it got much better--
    Spoiler:
    even if I did loath Detta
    --and I was hooked.

I have now finished The Drawing of The Three and am so glad I did, it was a very good story, although I may have to repair the cover on the couch from the tears during some of the suspenseful parts.

On to The Wastelands--right now.

I just want to thank all you wonderful people for being here an making this community so wonderful. If not for this place it would have been more then awhile before I tackled this task.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the obsession lovely!! I personally loved Drawing Of The Three - but trust me you should have no problems with The Wastelands - it's AMAZING!! And i regard it very highly in the series (just my opinion mind ) but wooohooo for joining the obsession let us know how your finding Wastelands hunny.

Jamesey
    xxxxxx

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

How could you find that part so boring? Detta/Odetta is a quite fascinating character (for me at least). I mean she isn't ordinary at all.
    Let us know how you like her character in the third book.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We love you too Christine

As for myself, I really disliked the introduction of Odetta/Detta.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the addiction. I found Detta/Odetta boring myself. You should love The Wastelands
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I don't recall the Odetta/Detta stuff at all, even though I've read The Drawing of the Three twice. I have a bad memory, which makes re-reading more fun anyway since I can't remember what happened.
    I seriously liked the first 4 DT books, but good luck on the last 3 Christine. THOSE I had a very hard time getting through, but I didn't skip anything.
    I do recall REALLY disliking The Wolves that whistled at Susannah on the way to The Dark Tower though!

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really surprised that people didn't seem to like Detta/Odetta - i loved her. Infact I think that she is one of my favourite Stephen King characters!!

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's not that I didn't like the character of O/Detta, it was the introduction to her that I just couldn't bring myself to read through.

Maybe it was cause I was so into the story by then that alot of boring background on a character that had nothing to do with the story I was now into was just frustrating. Once it gets to the part where she is involved in the story I was already into, I was hooked again. *shrug* Well into #3 now and loving it!

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was especially hard for me as I was reading in english and it's not my native langage. When SK sets a totally new background, he usually use a lot of "efficient" words to make the description shorter. These are uncommon for me and it's thus hard to recreate a new universe.

If you combine this with what Christine said, you can imagine how bothered I was when the Odetta business started.

I'm currently going trough the same thing with Callahan's story
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you think THIS is bad, you should see his back story in IT! IT is my very favorite book of all time, but yeah I tend to skip some of the background when I read through it over again.

But yes, Callahan's and Susannah's backstory are probably the harder ones to get through. I tend to enjoy Eddie's background because we get a good look at it from his point of view as he is dealing with the gangsters that have his brother captive.

But as for the WORST case of background fever comes from Jake as we take a look at his past several times and in very long detail.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

interesting... I thought these were the best part in all the books mentioned, and most other King books...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The only one I had any issues with was O/Detta's. The rest of the back stories folded into the ongoing storyline just fine for me. I liked them all other than this one. I am almost done with the series now so I can say this with confidence.

Had he chosen to have this as a backflash or maybe like the rest of the back stories in the books told in a palaver setting instead of just all the sudden you are reading about something that has nothing to do with the story you were into. Just the thing that kept me out of this series for many years.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    interesting... I thought these were the best part in all the books mentioned, and most other King books...
    I like it too. When I first enter the back-flash, it will sometimes take me out of the story, somehow drags, but if I continue I am drawn in. I say 'sometimes', as on other times the back-flash stuff is interesting from the start.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

odetta's introduction is a bit slow compared to the others. even "Jake's" introduction in part 3 is slow at 1st. i just LOVE Odetta & detta walker

when she is all pissed off at Roland & Eddie. & her response is just funny as hell. course i'm thrilled that he didn't keep Suze with that double personality. but for having it in just one book was just is fine with me.

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

The Detta/Odetta stuff is great in the audiobooks.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i have a copy of that actually. but i prefer reading. on what i have been doing to keep me in the mood for "DT" was listen to my copy of well 1st "DT3" cause that was my last book i read. the audio of it. i finished the book 1st actually. but what the hell ya know? he he. anyways,

honestly. even though hearing the audio to the "DT" series is Great there's nothing like sitting in either a good chair or a bed curling up & reading a good book. audio books aren't the same for me. i love the experience of reading the book more than i do listening to the audio of it. is anyone else like this?

Traveler Engel is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I tried to read the first DT books almost 2 years ago, and didnt get past the first 10 pages. but a couple of months ago, I decided to try again, and I read the first book in 1 day and a half. I started the second book, but because I was deadly busy, I stopped in the first pages, but yesterday I took it out to read again. Im still really busy solving many things on my life, and I wish my day had 48 hours, but in around the page 100 of the second book at last. im reading them in portuguese, so is really nice to see how some of the things are called in english.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

DotT (DT II) is tied for my favorite of the DT books with WaG. I flew through the book every time I read it and really think it sets the foundation whole of the tale
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I tried to read the first DT books almost 2 years ago, and didnt get past the first 10 pages. but a couple of months ago, I decided to try again, and I read the first book in 1 day and a half. I started the second book, but because I was deadly busy, I stopped in the first pages, but yesterday I took it out to read again. Im still really busy solving many things on my life, and I wish my day had 48 hours, but in around the page 100 of the second book at last. im reading them in portuguese, so is really nice to see how some of the things are called in english.
    Thank God life doesn't take for only one day so you have plenty of time to finish the series. I hope you will enjoy the quest as much as we all did.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It's been two years since you posted this... how are you coming along in the series?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes have you since finished it?