Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 10 Movies for an Enhanced Desert Island!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Harvey
    <...>
    Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Frank Capra, 1939)
    That makes 3. Another 7:

Twelve Angry Men
    It's a Wonderful Life
    When Harry Met Sally
    The Trouble with Harry
    The Seven Samurai
    L'itinéraire d'un enfant gâté
    La grande vadrouille

(no, it fact minimum half of the movies would have been Russian... I only listed those that can be recognized)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Hey, though, Forrest Gump is really pretty deep. Personally, I like it.
    Me too.
    Me three.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Harvey
    <...>
    Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Frank Capra, 1939)
    That makes 3. Another 7:

Twelve Angry Men
    It's a Wonderful Life
    When Harry Met Sally
    The Trouble with Harry
    The Seven Samurai
    L'itinéraire d'un enfant gâté
    La grande vadrouille

(no, it fact minimum half of the movies would have been Russian... I only listed those that can be recognized)
    the only russian film I'm really familiar with is nightwatch and while I liked it I got the impression that the editing and dubbing for the american release seriously compromised it artistically...
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh no... if it is even worse than in the original version, I wish it had never been made at all (not that I didn't wish that when I watched the original version)

Seriously though, it's a great pity - we have a fantastic, totally great cinematography, and the only thing people abroad know is Nightwatch... even the fact that it was directed by someone I know personally, a friend and colleague of my close friend, doesn't help it being hopeless.

About Forrest Gump: bears four or whatever it might take. It didn't make my 10 island movies list, but it did make my 50 favorites.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

There's a lot of movies that I enjoy that didn't make my top 50 or even my top 100 list let alone this one. Forest Gump wasn't on that list but I enjoyed it. So many good movies out there. Also, the fact that I enjoyed a movie doesn't necessarily mean that I'd want to watch it repeatedly. Movies with surprise endings come to mind like The Others, Sixth Sense, or Blair Witch Project. They're good movies but for some reason, knowing what happens at the end of them make me a little reluctant to watch them again. Then there are the movies that were entertaining once but just weren't compelling enough to sit through again. Most comedies I've seen fall into this category.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Coz, I'm completely with you there. A movie being good, doesn't make it re-watchable.

Hell, Sophie's Choice was an excellent film... but I couldn't watch it twice without killing myself.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    There's a lot of movies that I enjoy that didn't make my top 50 or even my top 100 list let alone this one... Then there are the movies that were entertaining once but just weren't compelling enough to sit through again. Most comedies I've seen fall into this category.
    Yeah this is true. Along with those kinds of movies go the really cheesy movies that I sometimes enjoy watching, but that I would never call 'good' (in that they are aesthetically pleasing, emotionally satisfying, etc). Like...Point Break. Or any bad sci-fi, grindhouse type thing.

I think to make a serious Island List I would want comfort films. My first thought in that vein is Cosmos, but that's a tv series so it's probably cheating. That show is like a nice warm blanket. I could go crazy and start hallucinating that Carl Sagan hanging out with me.

Along the Path of the Beam overhoser is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Count me on the list of those who like Forrest Gump but would not want him on an island with me. Instead, I choose these 10 in no particular order:

1. The Graduate ("I think you're the most attractive of all my parents' friends")
    2. Terminator 2 (When you're madder than hell because you can't catch a fish, who wouldn't want to watch stuff blow up?)
    3. Transformers: The Movie (1986...for when I need a good cry. Fans will know what I mean)
    4. Baseball by Ken Burns (maybe then I can finally make it through the last 3 innings...)
    5. Super Bowl XXV (one of these times when I watch it, the kick will be good)
    6. eddie murphy: delirious (don't give me any of that crap from Raw. red leather suits are where it's at)
    7. The departed (so bad ass...)
    8. pan's labyrinth (monster that holds his eyeballs in his hands? check.)
    9. Godfather part II
    10. Stand By Me ("He can't be a dog. He wears a hat and drives a car." Has a more meaningful conversation ever been had?)

Some others I considered:
    The Running Man. But I didn't want two Arnold movies. Although the line "You better leave room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach" is priceless and worth mentioning.

No Country for Old Men. But I couldn't decide if I would ever be feeling quite that...thoughtful.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971...is the Johnny Depp version even worth mentioning?)

Pi. But could I stand that shrieking noise in the score?

Office Space.
    Currently Reading (Pleasure): The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan and The Dark Tower

Currently Reading (School): Done reading, done writing. Helloooo vacation.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by overhoser View Post
    Count me on the list of those who like Forrest Gump but would not want him on an island with me. Instead, I choose these 10 in no particular order:

1. The Graduate ("I think you're the most attractive of all my parents' friends")
    2. Terminator 2 (When you're madder than hell because you can't catch a fish, who wouldn't want to watch stuff blow up?)
    3. Transformers: The Movie (1986...for when I need a good cry. Fans will know what I mean)
    4. Baseball by Ken Burns (maybe then I can finally make it through the last 3 innings...)
    5. Super Bowl XXV (one of these times when I watch it, the kick will be good)
    6. eddie murphy: delirious (don't give me any of that crap from Raw. red leather suits are where it's at)
    7. The departed (so bad ass...)
    8. pan's labyrinth (monster that holds his eyeballs in his hands? check.)
    9. Godfather part II
    10. Stand By Me ("He can't be a dog. He wears a hat and drives a car." Has a more meaningful conversation ever been had?)

Some others I considered:
    The Running Man. But I didn't want two Arnold movies. Although the line "You better leave room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach" is priceless and worth mentioning.

No Country for Old Men. But I couldn't decide if I would ever be feeling quite that...thoughtful.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971...is the Johnny Depp version even worth mentioning?)

Pi. But could I stand that shrieking noise in the score?

Office Space.
    Isn't he beautiful?

Along the Path of the Beam overhoser is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post

Isn't he beautiful?
    I don't know if beautiful is the word I would use, but by far the most awesome monster I've ever seen on film. Not to mention scary. He's just plain brilliant.
    Currently Reading (Pleasure): The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan and The Dark Tower

Currently Reading (School): Done reading, done writing. Helloooo vacation.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by overhoser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post

Isn't he beautiful?
    I don't know if beautiful is the word I would use, but by far the most awesome monster I've ever seen on film. Not to mention scary. He's just plain brilliant.
    That is right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2