Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 344 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: King Books/Items Wanted

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ABA?
    Special ABA edition ?

???

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    The whole band business has always puzzled me, i.e. when were they added and why?

But wait. The only prepublication state of the book (NAL version) I have ever seen is the softbound "Special ABA Edition" that was handed out at the convention. This is mistakenly (IMO) called a proof by some collectors but really isn't. But I believe it to be a prepublication state. And I have a copy of that book with a band. Was the band present on all these ABA copies? I've always been confused over this. Was the convention held after the King/Bachman pseudonym business was exposed? I had always thought it was held prior to the publication of the book.
    The 1984 ABA Convention was held May 26-30 1984 in Washington DC. Thinner was released in November, 1984 with a first printing of 50,000 copies and became # 11 on the 1985 bestsellers list, with total sales in the ~300,000 range.
    Supposedly there were pallets of the special ABA version of Thinner available, yet largely ignored by sellers who were clamoring for information regarding The Talisman-which became #1 on the bestsellers list for 1984. One would presume then, that the ABA books had no band indicating that the book was in fact by King.
    I believe any ABA Thinner with a band on it, had that band added long after the convention.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by artan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    That is very easy to obtain.
    The problem (perhaps not for you-but we shall see) is that what you want is expensive. Plan on spending >$10,000 U.S. for them.
    If you are speaking about DT S/L Set, All 7 books, in VF condition, All numbered <100 for 10.000$, I'm your man 8)

Seriously, Randall, I'm not a reach boy and money are always a problem!!!!

I had saved fews money during these years and if I buy these books my bank will remain empty (Fortunately my bank do "Payment by instalments" ).

To buy these books for me mean to renounce to a lot of other things in 2008, believe me.

I know that there are other way to collect books (Step by step, book after book, and so on...) but in 1982 I was less than 6 years old and now these books are "sold out" and if I want thats books I must pay the actual market price

I'm not a reseller, I would like to buy that books just to have them, because I love that story, that follow me during my teenager years and now take me in a very beautiful place in my head called "Memory", with a lot of images, sounds and fragrances.
    If I want these book I must buy them during these mounths becouse I don't know if in the future I will have the economic condition to do.

So, please feel free send me messages or e-mail if you have something for me.

It's a pleasure for me have the possibility to speak with all of you about books passion and this Forum is great!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
    Did you see Wizardsrainbow's post? Sounds like he is your man.

and thanks for the forum love, I am very proud of it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

The 1984 ABA Convention was held May 26-30 1984 in Washington DC. Thinner was released in November, 1984 with a first printing of 50,000 copies and became # 11 on the 1985 bestsellers list, with total sales in the ~300,000 range.
    Supposedly there were pallets of the special ABA version of Thinner available, yet largely ignored by sellers who were clamoring for information regarding The Talisman-which became #1 on the bestsellers list for 1984. One would presume then, that the ABA books had no band indicating that the book was in fact by King.
    I believe any ABA Thinner with a band on it, had that band added long after the convention.
    That is great info, Jerome. I think that you and Mr. Rabbit Trick are right - that my ABA copy must have had the band added later. I have always suspected so and it is the only such copy I have seen.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That is great info, Jerome. I think that you and Mr. Rabbit Trick are right - that my ABA copy must have had the band added later. I have always suspected so and it is the only such copy I have seen.
    I am just curious here. I've seen some of the stuff you've posted over at .net. What is missing from your collection?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the REAL author? lol!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I'm looking for any of the F&SF magazines with the Gunslinger or DT stories in them.
    Betts Bookstore has a set of 5 for $125. That's a bit expensive, so why not try Abebooks.com
    Thanks for the suggestions, and you too Wiz!

The only obstacle is finding them in Fine condition. I've seen some pretty crappy ones flying around. So I asked here knowing they would be in great condition. but I'm in no hurry, I'll find a set.

Also great info on Thinner guys. I never knew the band was issued in the US, I thought it was only done in the UK.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

I am just curious here. I've seen some of the stuff you've posted over at .net. What is missing from your collection?
    There are several items I would like to get but do not have. Just off the top of my head - US and UK proofs of DUMA KEY, Doubleday proof of CARRIE, NEL proofs of King's first five books, and copies of The Maine Campus newspaper in which the story "Slade" was serialized.

There are many non-fiction magazine appearances that I am currently seeking.

That's the beauty (and the frustration) of collecting. There is always something else to look for.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

That's the beauty (and the frustration) of collecting. There is always something else to look for.
    I agree Bob. There isn't a collector who has everything, if they say so he/she is lying. because there have been thousands of releases, besides the books. Whether it be promotional items, magazines, scripts, proofs, manuscripts, and the list will go forever on....
    Geoff

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

and copies of The Maine Campus newspaper in which the story "Slade" was serialized.
    Oh. Oh! I'm after these as well. Hope I don't come up against you in a bidding war.

and copies of The Maine Campus newspaper in which the story "Slade" was serialized.
    Oh. Oh! I'm after these as well. Hope I don't come up against you in a bidding war.
    I've got almost all of the issues of The Maine Campus except these. I think it is because they were published during a summer session which typically has less students on campus and, I'm guessing, lower numbers of newspapers printed. I've never seen any of these particular issues offered for sale.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently saving to get one of Centipede Press Salem's Lot (unsigned ed.).

If someone is selling it, please PM.

Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking for a copy of the original version of the Gunslinger. I would be happy with a paperback edition, but I really wouldn't mind finding a decent hardcover edition because I'd eventually like to have the whole series in hardcover editions. So...maybe even a hardcover and a paperback. If anyone has one of either they'd like to sell, please let me know.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    I'm looking for a copy of the original version of the Gunslinger. I would be happy with a paperback edition, but I really wouldn't mind finding a decent hardcover edition because I'd eventually like to have the whole series in hardcover editions. So...maybe even a hardcover and a paperback. If anyone has one of either they'd like to sell, please let me know.
    I don't ever sell Stephen King books at all. If you send your address in a few weeks I'll send your copy of the Plume trade paperback to you.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking for a couple of magazines from the seventies....

The Maine Review (July, 1975) containing the short story, The Revenge of Lardass Hogan.

Maine Magazine (March/April 1977) containing the short story, One for the Road.

Can anyone help me find them? What would they be valued at?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Maine Review (July, 1975) containing the short story, The Revenge of Lardass Hogan.

1.Can anyone help me find them?2. What would they be valued at?
    1. I can help look for them. I'm online most everyday looking at SK stuff I can't afford anyway.

2. I have absolutely no idea.

If you rescue me

Can anyone help me find them? What would they be valued at?

Just within the past several months I finally found a copy of Maine Magazine. I had been looking for one for over 10 years. The March/April 1977 issue was only the second overall issue and I suspect it had limited geographical distribution as well as low print numbers. For me it was an amazingly hard to find magazine.

As to price, I have never seen one for sale as a King collectible so I don't know what a fair price would be. I lucked out and found my copy as part of an eBay listing with several other magazines. The seller didn't know it was collectible and so I got it pretty cheaply. If Stu at Betts had one I wouldn't be surprised to see him ask $200 to $300 for it but, again, I have never seen one for sale.

The Maine Review with Lardass Hogan also goes for $200 or so, depending on the seller, maybe more.

I think that Marshroots with "It Grows On You" is the hardest of the University of Maine publications to find. If you have that one you are way ahead of the game.

Country
    Country Flag

If Stu at Betts had one I wouldn't be surprised to see him ask $200 to $300 for it but, again, I have never seen one for sale.

The Maine Review with Lardass Hogan also goes for $200 or so, depending on the seller, maybe more.

I think that Marshroots with "It Grows On You" is the hardest of the University of Maine publications to find. If you have that one you are way ahead of the game.
    Thanks for the useful info B.

If Stu ever manages to get a copy of either, I would be first in line at $200 - $300 each.

The Marshroots mag is the only other item from the seventies I don't have. A copy of it was on ebay a couple of months ago, but a copy is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

I will keep looking and hoping I come across one in a garage sale for 25 cents You must have been laughing your socks off getting yours so cheap.

If Stu ever manages to get a copy of either, I would be first in line at $200 - $300 each.

The Marshroots mag is the only other item from the seventies I don't have. A copy of it was on ebay a couple of months ago, but a copy is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
    For years Stu told me that he sometimes would come across the Maine magazine and that he had sold copies in the past. When I finally found my copy I sent him an image of it and he said that he had never seen a copy of that magazine before. I've seen many large King collections sold over the years (Charlie Fried, Marc Brenner, Chris Cavalier, etc.) and not one has had a copy of Maine magazine. It is just unaccountably scarce and I'm not sure why.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Would you mind posting a picture of this super elusive magazine, Bob?. I sure would like to know if I ever stumble across one. Sounds really intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Would you mind posting a picture of this super elusive magazine, Bob?. I sure would like to know if I ever stumble across one. Sounds really intriguing.
    I posted some pics of it over on the other site. As soon as I learn the ins and outs of posting pics on this site I would be glad to post them here.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It is actually pretty easy Bob.

The real secret is the "hosting" It allows pictures saved on your hard drive to be placed in one location where they can be easily added to posts.

Two choices there.

You can use our member photo gallery to "host" the images right here on the site. Its very easy. You would then simply copy the link to the image and insert it into any image you like.

Or, you can use any other free hosting service like Imageshack if you would like to have them off site.

If you images are already "hosted" somewhere (other than dt.net because we can't get there), you can simply copy the URL for the image and post it in any thread.

To upload a photo to our gallery.
    • Simply click the link in the toolbar above, choose "upload photos" in the upper right hand screen.
    • The first option remains "member galleries"
    • browse to the image on your computer, put in a title.
    • Description and key words are optional.
    That will automatically set up a gallery for you and you can put as many pictures as you like in there.

Once it is loaded--right click and copy the URL for the image.

Randall Flagg has an amazing tutorial on what to do from here and I can never seem to find it, I am sure he will post a link to it when he reads this (thanks Jerome).

I know it sounds like a lot but its really quite easy, I would love to see photos of your collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob,
    here is the thread with instructions how to post using either a hosting service, or the Gallery here.
    If you wish, you can always e-mail me the image, and I will edit it into your post.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, I have now made a mental note.

I have no idea why I never think to look for it right here in the corner.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I'll ask Darkthoughts to put the link in her DT.COM 101 thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 344 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast