Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 219 of 344 FirstFirst ... 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 221 229 269 319 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 8585

Thread: King Books/Items Wanted

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I knew betts made a few traycases but not sure where the slipcases ones came from or vice versa. The catalogue really doesn't give much info on that part of it unfortunately
    I think Stu at Betts made both the slipcases and traycases; the traycases being the more expensive option.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I knew betts made a few traycases but not sure where the slipcases ones came from or vice versa. The catalogue really doesn't give much info on that part of it unfortunately
    I think Stu at Betts made both the slipcases and traycases; the traycases being the more expensive option.
    Do you remember what the prices were Bob? I seem to think the traycases are more rare as well... I waited a long time to find one perfect with the traycase...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Do you remember what the prices were Bob? I seem to think the traycases are more rare as well... I waited a long time to find one perfect with the traycase...
    No. I don't recall. I seem to remember the slipcases coming first and we soon realized that a slipcase wasn't ideal for a paperback with somewhat delicate "French wraps." If one wasn't careful the front or back (or both) covers could get bent going into the slipcase. Stu then made traycases but continued selling the slipcases at a lower price. The price of $40.00 seems right to me for the traycases but my memory may not be accurate on this.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No. I don't recall. I seem to remember the slipcases coming first and we soon realized that a slipcase wasn't ideal for a paperback with somewhat delicate "French wraps." If one wasn't careful the front or back (or both) covers could get bent going into the slipcase. Stu then made traycases but continued selling the slipcases at a lower price. The price of $40.00 seems right to me for the traycases but my memory may not be accurate on this.
    it was $25 for the slipcase and $50 for the traycase.
    if i remeber correctly, it lead to some very heated discussion in the newsgroup at the time of why would anyone pay that much to protect a paperback book that only cost $90. in fact, i think Stu left the group and stopped posting because of it.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    if i remeber correctly, it lead to some very heated discussion in the newsgroup at the time of why would anyone pay that much to protect a paperback book that only cost $90. in fact, i think Stu left the group and stopped posting because of it.
    Thanks. I'm glad you remembered. I also very distinctly remember that several members of the newsgroup refused to buy the book itself thinking $90 was a ridiculously high price for a paperback book (even if it was a S/L). Most of us however couldn't get our payment in quick enough. There was no PayPal then. You had to send payment via snail mail. Somehow the newsgroup (alt.books.stephen_king) was the first to hear about it. I rushed to the bank and got a cashier's check for $90 then hurried to the post office and sent it overnight express mail to Bangor. I ended up with copy #6. Those were the days.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I'm glad you remembered. I also very distinctly remember that several members of the newsgroup refused to buy the book itself thinking $90 was a ridiculously high price for a paperback book (even if it was a S/L). Most of us however couldn't get our payment in quick enough. There was no PayPal then. You had to send payment via snail mail. Somehow the newsgroup (alt.books.stephen_king) was the first to hear about it. I rushed to the bank and got a cashier's check for $90 then hurried to the post office and sent it overnight express mail to Bangor. I ended up with copy #6. Those were the days.
    OMG are you serious??? LOL So that was the only way to secure a copy? You could not call? What if you sent a check in too late? You just got it sent back? Man I love hearing these old stories...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

OMG are you serious??? LOL So that was the only way to secure a copy? You could not call? What if you sent a check in too late? You just got it sent back? Man I love hearing these old stories...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember selling comics at an early age of about 15 or so. I would advertise in a weekly newspaper for comics, people would mail in orders, I would cash their check(wait till they cleared), then get the package ready, wait in line at the post office. Each sale could take up to a month. Now everything is so instant, which I love.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    I remember selling comics at an early age of about 15 or so. I would advertise in a weekly newspaper for comics, people would mail in orders, I would cash their check(wait till they cleared), then get the package ready, wait in line at the post office. Each sale could take up to a month. Now everything is so instant, which I love.
    This brings back some memories for me. I did pretty much the same thing back around 1988 or so. Started a mail order business from home selling science fiction, fantasy and horror books. Placed a small ad in a magazine, printed up a catalog and mailed them out along with an order form to those who responded. Orders would arrive in the mail with checks and then I'd ship them out. Old school mail order.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here is one thread from the newsgroup where the cost of the book and the slipcase is discussed and debated. It confirms the $25/$50 prices for the slipcase/traycase.

Great reading, Bev! Thanks for posting that link. I remember so many of those names and it brought back some great memories. The old newsgroup wasn't as saccharin sweet as this one is sometimes. Controversy and flame wars were frequent and you really had to get yourself ready for battle every time you logged on. I was so intimidated that I was afraid to post most of the time. I was afraid flame throwers like "Dani K." or "Robert Whelan" or "John M." would attack what I said. Hell, I'm still afraid "Dani K." might pop up somewhere even today. That bitch was mean!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Great reading, Bev! Thanks for posting that link. I remember so many of those names and it brought back some great memories. The old newsgroup wasn't as saccharin sweet as this one is sometimes. Controversy and flame wars were frequent and you really had to get yourself ready for battle every time you logged on. I was so intimidated that I was afraid to post most of the time. I was afraid flame throwers like "Dani K." or "Robert Whelan" or "John M." would attack what I said. Hell, I'm still afraid "Dani K." might pop up somewhere even today. That bitch was mean!
    I'm friends with DaniK on Facebook -- I think she's mellowed a lot over the years!

if i remeber correctly, it lead to some very heated discussion in the newsgroup at the time of why would anyone pay that much to protect a paperback book that only cost $90. in fact, i think Stu left the group and stopped posting because of it.[/QUOTE]
    Sales slip from Philtrum Press.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet Jesus Bruce - do you EVER throw anything away???
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Sweet Jesus Bruce - do you EVER throw anything away???
    You mean like the sales receipt for the tray case?
    I am NOT a big fan of after market slip or tray cases. I DID feel that this book & My Pretty Pony... SCREEMED for one.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Impressive.

I would also love a traycase for my SIX STORIES.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Makes our site seem tame.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Impressive.

I would also love a traycase for my SIX STORIES.
    I bought a traycase from Camelot books. odd duck doesn't quite shut. $40

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Makes our site seem tame.
    It is. Or maybe it is just the way I remember it after 20 years. I was very new to the internet (I guess we all were). But it seemed everyone else had been there for a while and had much more to say than I did. And it was intimidating as hell. Or so I remember. I wanted to be a part of the newsgroup and contribute but as a newcomer I felt shy and unsure as to what was really going on and how to contribute. Everyone else all seemed to know each other pretty well. And they definitely weren't all warm and fuzzy to newcomers. One great bit of nostalgia reading the thread about Betts and the slipcases was that there were no emoticons. We all seemed to learn how to express our thoughts and feelings with words alone.

I also remember in pretty good detail the first time I got up the nerve to respond to Bev Vincent on alt.books.stephen_king. I'll have to tell that story one day.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I don't think I participated in the newsgroup, but I remember the name Robert Whelan - why was he notorious? I recall the name, but no specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I don't think I participated in the newsgroup, but I remember the name Robert Whelan - why was he notorious? I recall the name, but no specifics.
    He did love an argument.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I did some research - I think I DID particpate lightly and do remember that people actually thought Whelan WAS Stephen King.

I could look up my posts, but I probably had a different user name and don't remember what it was.

On-topic - I want Dark Tower II #71 if anybody has it!

I also remember in pretty good detail the first time I got up the nerve to respond to Bev Vincent on alt.books.stephen_king. I'll have to tell that story one day.
    Do tell! I got to know some great people on that group, including Charlie Fried, Steve Spignesi, Tabby King...and Bob!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 219 of 344 FirstFirst ... 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 221 229 269 319 ... LastLast