Page 1 of 344 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: King Books/Items Wanted

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default King Books/Items Wanted

I'm not much of a collector, but I would love to find an original editon of The Gunslinger (as in not the revised edition - nothing spectacular but obviously this is not going to show up on Amazon anytime soon). Any ideas where to look and what would be a reasonable amount to pay? I have the paperback but I have decided I'd like a set of hardcover editions, and this one is eluding me at the moment.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you want the hardcover original you should be able to find a third edition from the boxset Grant did on ebay or maybe abebooks relatively cheap. If you want a second or first be prepared to pay a bit more.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I'm not much of a collector, but I would love to find an original editon of The Gunslinger (as in not the revised edition - nothing spectacular but obviously this is not going to show up on Amazon anytime soon). Any ideas where to look and what would be a reasonable amount to pay? I have the paperback but I have decided I'd like a set of hardcover editions, and this one is eluding me at the moment.
    Hi Daghain-

As for an "original" harcover Gunslinger published by Grant Books...Grant did 3 editions. Brice is correct, a 1st and 2nd edition will set you back some $$, especially depending on the condition of the book and dust jacket. A 1st edition will almost certainly be north of $500. A 2nd edition can be found for $150-$250. A third edition (completely different dust jacket art) can be found for $60-$80. Try searching on eBay.com or ABE.com.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I just picked up a second edition still in the shrink wrap not too long ago. I paid $200 for it and it was a steal (to me at least), there were no blemishes, cracks to the DJ or anything, just a perfect copy. I still want a first and third as well
    You can also check out Betts Books, I bought my Wizard and Glass from him for a good price.
    http://www.bettsbooks.com/

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

If you want the original artwork and your not a big time collector I would buy the 2nd Edition. It's virtually the same, and it's way cheaper.

btw, the 3rd Edition has new artwork on its jacket. If you don't care what version you have, you just want a hardback go for this. As you can tell Wiz has pointed out its the cheapest of the three. And the interior artwork is the same for all three editions.

abebooks.com is a good place to look. But I would guess the way King books are selling nowadays I would just wait it out on eBay. You'll eventually find a bargain.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the advice, everyone. That gives me places to look.

*Daghain skips off to shop online*

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

What do you all think of this? Too much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=013

Seems a bit high to me, but if it TRULY is unread (and I can't imagine that, but hey, I read any book that crosses my path LOL) it might be worth it. I'm not too sure, though. Expert advice, please! I'm totally willing to engage in "the hunt".

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had 90 bucks for a book. It looks so beautiful!
    I am just commenting, I have absolutely no idea if it is real and worth it.

I've seen that one posted from time to time. I don't think he/she can get rid of it, or he/she owns multiple copies! I don't know if I would pay $90 for it, I would have to search around to see if I could find a cheaper price first. I guess it all depends on what the limit would be at the time of buying.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That one is a 3rd edition.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'm thinking patience is a virtue here. $90 seems high to me too.

And yeah, it is good to have a little expendible income.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am amazed by how much the rest of us can benefit by those who have been doing this awhile, great advice.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That's why I came in here - I needed expert opinons.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    I've seen that one posted from time to time. I don't think he/she can get rid of it, or he/she owns multiple copies! I don't know if I would pay $90 for it, I would have to search around to see if I could find a cheaper price first. I guess it all depends on what the limit would be at the time of buying.
    I agree, I would wait. This book is overpriced. And don't be in a hurry, you might find a 2nd Edition for $90.00. We just noticed that a numbered The Stand Portfolio went a month ago for $28.00. So if you wait it out you should be able to find a deal.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like a good idea. I won't die if I don't have it right this second, anyway.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, as the others have said I'm glad you're letting this one pass by. I've seen the whole box sets that came from seel for just a little more than that. Waiting is best. If I happen to notice a cheap one anywhere I'll point it out to you.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Dark Tower collection is nearing completion, with only the 1st of the Gunslinger being MIA. I'm hoping to find a sealed 2nd edition to save some money - because I could sleep well at night knowing that it COULD be a first under the shrink wrap that will never be opened!

That's all I need is a First Gunslinger. I bought my 2nd edition still in the shrink wrap. I got really lucky and at $200 it was a steal, I bought it from someplace in California and when I talked to the lady she gave me a price of $250, I asked her to hold it for a couple of hours and I called back and talked to a guy, I again asked what the price was and he told me $200. I immediately bought it and as luck would have it he was going to UPS so it was sent just a few minutes after purchase. I don't know how he sent it but I received it on a Monday, I purchased it on a Friday and he didn't even charge me extra. I even got the feeling that they didn't care about the value because it was still in shrink wrap and there were no markings/rips/tears on it at all. They could have charged more.
    I'm still saving for a First Edition and I will have one soon.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    My Dark Tower collection is nearing completion, with only the 1st of the Gunslinger being MIA. I'm hoping to find a sealed 2nd edition to save some money - because I could sleep well at night knowing that it COULD be a first under the shrink wrap that will never be opened!
    There IS a difference between the dust jackets for the first and second editions that is visible from the outside--I think it's the first has more of a yellow tint to the lettering than the second, which is more orange. I'm not a 100% sure of this (it may be reversed, i.e., the first is more orange) but I'm pretty sure. I only have a first. I don't have any real desire to get a second.

John

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't really care which edition it is, I'm just one of those weird people who wants a WHOLE set of something. So any hardcover of the original is fine with me.

Had I thought of this 20 years ago.....

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you people think that the prices will get lower and lower?
    I saw some books go cheaper (Wizard and glass 1st, The stand (coffin), for example, but there are others that are still very expensive.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The First edition Gunsllinger dustjacket had lettering that was lighter in shade. More of a true yellow. The 2nd edtion was almost burnt orange.
    In addition, the first book had brown fabric boards, the 2nd had black.
    The first lists the price of $20 for the trade, and $60 for the limited on the inside front dj. The first advertises Conan on the back inside dj. The 2nd has a color picture added to the Conan advertisement.
    That's a few of the differences.
    First on right in these pictures:

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jerome! I thought it was something like that.

John

Why does Wiz's have tan color to the boards?
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...1&postcount=20
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...3&postcount=21

The first time I saw that picture when it was posted I noticed it right away but never asked. Is it because it's a lettered?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 344 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast