Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King’s Battleground

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King’s Battleground

This from Gauntlet's Coming Attractions page, so I thought I would start a thread.

Stephen King’s Battleground: This, too, will be a definitive collection of Stephen King’s classic short story with Richard Christian Matheson putting together this awesome collection. We start with King’s short story and then move to R.C. Matheson’s script for the opening episode of “Nightmares and Dreamscapes” which starred William Hurt and was directed by Brian Henson. Henson will provide storyboards used for the episode which won two Emmy awards. We will have further details as to whom will be contributing material to this unique collection in early 2010.

This will be a summer or fall release
    My guess is it's going to be like Riding the Bullet from Lonely Roads books. The new stuff will just be the television adaptation of the story by Richard Christian Matheson, and King would probably only sign the Lettered Edition. Who knows though as it's all speculation at this point.
    Geoff

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

According to Gauntlet's site they are now taking orders for Battleground but when you click the link you'll get the message 'Taking orders at a date to be announced'.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In a newsletter I received the middle of December it said they would start taking preorders on January 1st. It also said a price would be determined at a later date once they had all the details of the book worked. My guess is they don't have a price determined yet so it won't be available for preorder until they do.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Gauntlet will not take pre-orders until the book is definitely in their catalog. And I was told King will not sign any editions, not even the lettered. I hope he changes his mind though.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I asked Barry yesterday if it was available for pre-order because the webpage says that it is. I think that is an error he needs to fix because it causes some confusion....at least it confused me.

Barry said there are still a number of permissions that need to be gotten from TNT regarding contents of the DVD. Pre-orders will not be taken until all details like that are finalized.

I did however, with Barry's permission, jump the gun and order the two new F. Paul Wilson Repairman Jack books ahead of the Jan. 1 start.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got three signed ARCs from Barry in the mail yesterday - Secret Circles (the new Repairman Jack), Bullet Trick (Bradbury), and Barry's own Curse of the Shamra: Crystal Cave Stories.

Hoping I end up with the Battleground anthology down the road!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

Along the Path of the Beam DavidK44 is on a distinguished road

Gauntlet sent out an email newsletter earlier today, and had some more information about Battleground in it:

We’re holding off on taking orders for Stephen King's Battleground as we are still getting clearances for a DVD that will be part of the book (literally – it will be in the back of the book).

While we can’t relate details yet (besides the one-hour version of “Battleground” that is only available as part of the entire Nightmares and Dreamscapes boxed set), R.C. Matheson and Brian Henson (who directed the episode) would like to add some exclusive material that will never be released in any other form.

Those who have followed Gauntlet Press over the past twenty years are aware that getting clearance for something like this takes a great deal of time and perseverance. If successful, though, not only the book but the DVD will be a one-of-a-kind collectible. We are also working on additional contributors to the book, so we appreciate your patience while we finalize these details. We will let you know when we’ll start taking orders for the book.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have great respect for publishers who refuse to take preorders until they are further along in the process. I admire their discipline.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

So are we talking a S/L here?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    So are we talking a S/L here?
    S/L, possible.
    King signed S/L, unlikely.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as I read King didn't sign that edition. I don't remember where I read it...
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Well it looks like King will sign the 52 Lettered Editions of this book.

How I found out about it, though, is very interesting....

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin...R_ID=122941940
    Geoff

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link Geoff.

If you pay $2000 now, you automatically jump to the head of our waiting list".

Yeah right! I will buy it on the secondary market for a little over the issue price.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone wanted to send me a 2 grand bribe I'd consider them a valued loyal customer too. I think both the lotteries and first come/first served are superior to this method.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

$2000 to jump to the front of the line. Wow, is it still called bribery if the person being paid asked for the money?

I am still not completely convinced this isn't a joke. I guess it isn't but it just so reads like one.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think Barry has sold his business to Richard Chizmar!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

What the hell is wrong with this world?!?!?

You have to bribe them $2000 to get to the head of the class?!?!

Please tell me that noone here is going to do this!

Just emailed this to Marsha...let's see what she has to say!

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow...that's a major turn off...

Life is a garden...dig it!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

yea it's pretty crazy. I guess he's just trying to raise some funds, but wow, I don't even know what to say?
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still trying to get my mind around this. First off, I don't think I am worried about too many people spending $2K just to get first options to buy books. I can't imagine that he will get many takers for that.

I DO like the fact that he is going to allow long time customers the first chance at the really high demand books. I really think this is a good idea. But I wonder how he will determine the pecking order? I've been buying books from Barry for a long, long time but mostly it has just been the F. Paul Wilson titles, mostly the Repairman Jack stuff, anything he has done related to King and a few odd titles here and there.

I assume Barry keeps a list of who bought what and when and for how much. I guess he will create a list based on dollars spent for each customer and prioritize; offering the 52 signed/lettered copies to the 52 customers who spent the most with him over some period of time.

I'll probably be out of luck on this but who knows. Anyone else with thoughts on how Barry might "determine customer loyalty"?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

That is a no win situation for all involved.

He'd be better off just saying "I'm not taking orders," then choosing the 52 customers he wanted to offer the book too...they buy it, great, he's sold out...chances are, plenty of people decline, and those he then offers the book to never know they were second-choice fans...bottom line, nobody complains because there was never a public situation to complain about...

This $2k for the right to order is just craziness...I guess if you get one or two people who do it, it's free money...so might as well try.

I suppose a complain to SK, or any author, could revolve around this is a way you can skirt royalities, since I'm sure SK was paid X$ per book based on an agreed sales price...and this $2K could circumvent it...but really, who cares. Nobody's going to do it, and if it's that important for somebody to do - bully for them.

At the price that Matheson book is going to sell for, how much compeition does he really expect?

And - he can't just GIVE these people a free "He is Legend" lettered edition? He's such a hero to let them save $250? What does he care? It's a PC edition anyway, so it's all free money...why not actually attract a potential customer with a legit savings? It's the same thing I feel when I see a $5K ebay auction, where the seller wants $20 for shipping.

And, finally, can this please kill "which is better? A PC or a numbered edition?" argument? It's over and done - PCs are money grabs (or at least they are now)...there is no accountability, and they are obviously published as much as they publisher wants.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The limitation on his PC might be higher than the limitation on the book.

Hmmm...do I want to spend $2,000 on a book or an offer for books. This seems to me to be panhandling.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My understanding is that Gauntlet is still awaiting permissions.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So this was never released, right?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast