Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie character of all time?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Joker (The Dark Knight)

14 45.16%
  • Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones)

17 54.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMCOAT - FINALS !!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default BMCOAT - FINALS !!

The Joker (The Dark Knight)

Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules, and tonight you're gonna break your one rule ...

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i think this may turn into a one horse race, as a character as much as i love Indy, its got to be Joker

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i think this may turn into a one horse race ...
    Don't be so sure! The Joker was leading by as many as 8 votes in the semi finals, and he just managed to beat McMurphy by one vote!

And besides, I think there are just as many Indy lovers here as there are Jokerites

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but saying you like the Joker more than McMurphy is a lot different than saying you like him more than Indy. Really, you're selection of the contestants in each poll has determined the outcome just as much as how we all vote.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Really, you're selection of the contestants in each poll has determined the outcome just as much as how we all vote.
    Well, that's always a given. My point was that you never know which way the wheel will turn. In the first round, Blondie from The Good The Bad & Ugly absolutely dominated the competition, and in the next round he had virtually no votes.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, at this point, this match-up begs the question of whether the Joker really could in fact be a greater character than Hannibal Lecter, whom Indy bested earlier.
    This is tough. Jones probably is actually more realistic, though the Joker may be actually more profound... all of which is very odd, these dynamics of making a call between two characters each of which is basically a famed pop culture icon.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What it's really going to come to is how badly Heath Ledger is going to beat Indiana Jones. The fact that Ledger died, and The Joker was his final role is going to play against Ford's Indiana Jones. The tragedy of Ledger's death allowed the character to reach near mythic levels before the film ever came out. This combined with a really great acting perfomance by Ledger to create something that becomes akin to a revered role. Add to that the recentness of said role and I think Indiana Jones, a much older character that has always been part of the film world for a great many people, has zero chance of beating the juggernaut of Ledger's The Joker.

Don't get me wrong, Ledger did a wonderful job with a truly iconic character. I just think that time has yet to tell if his character has longevity. I believe it does (Ledger's Joker reminds me in more than one way of Brandon Lee's Eric Draven), but I feel that we'll have a better feel for that after a decade has passed.

I just realised that no one named Errol Flynn's Robin Hood (unless I missed it). I'm kicking myself in the head right now.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Indy is waaayyy more iconic than Heath Ledgers Joker. Whilst I agree Heath "killed the part" it was one and done. Indy has made it to 4 movies and is lexicon. Only choice IMHO. Now if you're talking "best Performance" all time well then that's a horse of a different color!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Heath only needed 1 movie

Country
    Country Flag

After Brokeback Mountain, he needed several.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Joker, and I can't believe this is even close
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Joker, and I can't believe this is even close
    Me too.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Indy from Raiders = Badass awesome
    Indy from Temple = Little too much of a parody of himself, just as the movie was
    Indy from Last Crusade = Better than Temple, not as good as Raiders
    Indy from Crystal Skull = Haven't been intrigued enough from the trailers and friends' reviews to see it
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

it wasn't that bad.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

How was it on my scale of the other Indy movies?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Ugh. This was tough for me but had to go with Indy as he's a character with more depth and personal history.

Sam - I disagree with you about Heath... he made the character amazing, but most of that was the fact that Heath got lost in the character and was no longer Heath anymore. I believe that sincerely. ( and back of Brokeback, mister, I loved that movie )

My Ranking of Indiana Jones movies :
    Last Crusade
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull ... Tied for being sucky. ( the movies, not the characters )

Crystal Skull was just plain disappointing, and :meh: but it was nice seeing Marion again.

Oh, yeah, and I had a dog named Indiana, after Indy.

From Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade :
    Sallah: Please, what does it always mean, this... this "Junior"?
    Professor Henry Jones: That's his name.
    [points to himself] Professor Henry Jones: Henry Jones...
    [points to Indy] Professor Henry Jones: ...Junior.
    Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
    Professor Henry Jones: We named the *dog* Indiana.
    Marcus Brody: May we go home now, please?
    Sallah: The dog? [starts laughing] Sallah: You are named after the dog? HA HA HA...!
    Indiana Jones: I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog
    Last edited by turtlex; 11-18-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: clarity... i hope
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Not as good as Temple of Doom. Not much about it was memorable. At least Temple had some memorable scenes (like the opening scene in the night club, excellent. And c'mon Turtle...don't you just want to snatch up Shortround and snuggle him to death? )

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*gasp*

My nomination made it to the finals?? And now you know who I'm voting.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Sam - I disagree with you about Heath... he made the character amazing, but most of that was the fact that Heath got lost in the character and was no longer Heath anymore. I believe that sincerely. ( and back of Brokeback, mister, I loved that movie )
    I think what I was trying to say got lost. I do agree with you Pam that the actor became lost in the character. What I was trying to say was that because that was his last role, and because it WAS so good, the role became revered by fans (and still is I think). People will always think of Ledger when they think of film versions of Joker, but they will always wonder just how good he could have been too. And his role will always be tied to that sort of feeling (at least until his fans become old people and forget who they are and who he was ).

Btw, Indiana Jones is STILL the better character.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

There will be another Joker in 20 years when some filmmakers decide to rehash Batman again. Not so sure that there will be another Indy, though. (but I still voted for Joker)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Not as good as Temple of Doom. Not much about it was memorable. At least Temple had some memorable scenes (like the opening scene in the night club, excellent. And c'mon Turtle...don't you just want to snatch up Shortround and snuggle him to death? )
    I loved the opening sequence, for sure. I loved it. It was classic, especially incorporating the Paramount logo. Vintage... as for ShortRound... No. Now Willie ( Kate Capshaw ) ... there I'd go to snuggle to death.

Thinking on it now, I agree, Coz. Temple was better than Crystal Skull. I'm with you on that one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    *gasp*

My nomination made it to the finals?? And now you know who I'm voting.
    You're going to vote for Indiana Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I think what I was trying to say got lost. I do agree with you Pam that the actor became lost in the character. What I was trying to say was that because that was his last role, and because it WAS so good, the role became revered by fans (and still is I think). People will always think of Ledger when they think of film versions of Joker, but they will always wonder just how good he could have been too. And his role will always be tied to that sort of feeling (at least until his fans become old people and forget who they are and who he was ).

Btw, Indiana Jones is STILL the better character.
    Oh. Then I agree completely.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Worried

OMG, worse than Temple?

*weeps for the memory of Indy-that-was*

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Much. much. worse. Sorry, Woofer.
    There will be another Joker in 20 years when some filmmakers decide to rehash Batman again. Not so sure that there will be another Indy, though. (but I still voted for Joker)
    That's a good point. But why would it contradict your vote? Maybe it makes Indy more unique or distinctive... but at the same time, *sigh* doesn't it imply something about how great the Joker character is?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I loved every Indiana Jones movie. Even Crystal Skull. He has my vote all the way.

Like others have said, Heath did a oneshot as the Joker. Now if we were just going with the character OF the Joker and not just Dark Knight, well I might have to ponder some because I love me some Joker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast