Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: King appearances, interviews, podcasts...

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Yes thanks Jerome,it was very good.
    I did have some issues with my connection
    that made it frustrating, it kept cutting off
    and on....but what I managed to hear was
    terrific, and your right Matt, it was fun to
    hear him talk about Roland.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps I am daft, but I was suprised to hear Roland's last name (Deschain) pronounced as Des-(chain-as in metal links welded together) Chain.
    I always thought it was a soft 'CH' as in Des-Shane.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too! That was weird. I thought it was De-shane.

And we get the definitive pronunciation for Alain as well - Al-ane.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always thought it was pronounced that way. I was much more surprised when I learned how Cuthbert was pronounced a few years ago. Great interview though.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Funny thing is, I'm sure I've heard King pronounce it "De-shane" in the past, so maybe he's decided "dez-chain" works better for him. Anyway, fun interview, I wish it was longer, like two hours!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too.

It's rather interesting to hear how much this guy mispronounces the names in the books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Well they're his characters so he's the one who says how they're pronounced..
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Well they're his characters so he's the one who says how they're pronounced..
    Nope, he is wrong. If I could have called in I'd have told him.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Oh. Okay then.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

And you are right he has changed his pronounciation of Deschain.

If you rescue me

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i can tell you the one thing i didn't like was hearing him talk about a potential movie version as if only a trilogy would do. that sounds a LOT like four movies too few. now, i know i am firmly against any movie, but hypothetically, if it's to be done, it's to be done right, and King's idea of a trilogy being right is not in line with how I see it. i wonder why he feels they should try to condense 7 books into 3 movies. i know there are film threads, but this is more a response to king's actual statement in the interview. and yes, he used to say it "de-shane"

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i can tell you the one thing i didn't like was hearing him talk about a potential movie version as if only a trilogy would do. that sounds a LOT like four movies too few. now, i know i am firmly against any movie, but hypothetically, if it's to be done, it's to be done right, and King's idea of a trilogy being right is not in line with how I see it. i wonder why he feels they should try to condense 7 books into 3 movies. i know there are film threads, but this is more a response to king's actual statement in the interview. and yes, he used to say it "de-shane"
    I think it's more important to remember that he doesn't think it'll happen.

I wonder what made him say that though. Maybe the J.J Abrahms thing fell through?

If you rescue me

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Maybe the J.J Abrahms thing fell through?
    you mean prayer does work?

Lets not start talking about a Dark Tower movie/s. I can't stand the idea.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Footnote 4 from the introduction to The Road to the Dark Tower: King pronounces Roland’s last name “dess chain.”

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The "thing" is just a loose agreement to allow them to come up with a plan. They don't have an option yet, per se, because they haven't presented King with a plan.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Footnote 4 from the introduction to The Road to the Dark Tower: King pronounces Roland’s last name “dess chain.”
    Its always pronounced that way in audio versions as well.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    certainly not in all the audio versions. guidall says "de-shane" not "des-chain". now, i would say king is "right" it is his character afterall.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

you mean prayer does work?
    Apparently even agnostic prayer.

The "thing" is just a loose agreement to allow them to come up with a plan. They don't have an option yet, per se, because they haven't presented King with a plan.
    I'd just gotten the impression that it was something more concrete. I don't really know why. I guess I just assumed we wouldn't even know about it till they were at least seriously planning it.

If you rescue me

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

certainly not in all the audio versions. guidall says "de-shane" not "des-chain". now, i would say king is "right" it is his character afterall.
    Hmmm...I may have just been hearing it since I was used to it. I just listened to #1 and he read it. Could have sworn he pronounced it that way.

Hmmm...I may have just been hearing it since I was used to it. I just listened to #1 and he read it. Could have sworn he pronounced it that way.
    listening to part of 7 right now and he def doesn't emphasize the CH part, it's more like an SH. maybe he varies it as he goes.

I'd just gotten the impression that it was something more concrete. I don't really know why. I guess I just assumed we wouldn't even know about it till they were at least seriously planning it.
    The main reason we know about it is because EW covered the LOST team's visit to King in Maine to talk about the show and the Dark Tower. Abrams has mentioned it in interviews, too, but he's never said anything other than "we have this Dark Tower thing," as if it's vague and far in the future and, perhaps, they haven't really stopped to think about it in any detail.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The earliest mention of Deschain, (to my knowledge) is in Little Sisters of Eluria. King didn't read that.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I understand that, I just meant that in all the audio versions I have heard, it was pronounced that way.

And I am not sure that could be considered "earliest" when it is mentioned in the first book and that was the one that was written first.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Besides, "DEH-SHAYNE?"

C'mon, people. Do you really want our anti-hero/hero to sound like a castoff from a failed country-Western band that auditioned for American Idol?

Let's be realistic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast