Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: King appearances, interviews, podcasts...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting Beverly.

(“in the books, it’s never said that Roland Deschain is a Caucasian person”)
    I believe the term in the book was "honky mahfah"!

��

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Idris Elba will be able to nail the role, but that seems like selective memory on King's part to me, much as I love him.

Edit: the question mark icons above were supposed to be a laughing smiley face...

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lol there's that, there's every encounter Susannah has where someone remarks on her race but they don't comment on Roland's (i.e. the villagers from TWL who think she's from Garlan), the bit in DT6 where King's resemblance to Roland being that of a father and son, etc, etc.

If Roland was black in the books it would have been brought up several times and he'd be called the n-word by every villain in the series. King is the last writer who can pull the "racially ambiguous character" card.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, this is random:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/34...g-joe-toy-80s/
    Stephen King was everywhere in the 1980’s. His charisma and spooky nature made him just as big of a star as his wild and legendary creations. We’re talking movies, TV, and even credit card commercials. You name it, he was a part of it!

But one King creation has slipped under the radar over the years.

See the guy above? That’s Crystal Ball from the GI Joe toyline. In 1987, he was introduced along with other insane creations as Raptor (a guy who dresses like an Eagle), Croc Master (a crocodile wrestler) and Big Boa (a boxer, created after Hasbro lost the Rocky license). He didn’t do a lot for the line and was a lousy seller.

But Crystal Ball’s biggest contribution to GI Joe, and yes, horror history? His origin story!

While comic writer Larry Hama handled mostly all other GI Joe characters and origins, this one was handled by the most unlikely of people. The creator of the Vincent Price-inspired Crystal Ball, who subsequently appeared in comic books?

The master of horror himself… Stephen King!

As it’s told, Crystal Ball was pitched to Hasbro by Stephen because his young son Owen was such a huge fan of the line. He apparently pitched the character’s origin and even wrote his filecard. It’s later been disputed that his son Owen was the one who came up with the character and suggested it to his dad to pitch. Either way, the name King will always be responsible for this character. Which makes sense seeing as it’s one of the most creative yet bizarre characters… even if he was the most maligned.

As an interesting (and related) side note, Owen King was himself blessed with a character in his likeness and name. Sneak Peek was also released in 1987, with an origin of Bangor, Maine and his file name being listed as Owen King. That figure is rumored to be part of an agreement between the King family and Hasbro as a thank you/payment for Crystal Ball.

So next time you see a Crystal Ball figure at your local flea market, maybe pick him up for your horror shelf. After all, he is a creation from the mind of Stephen King!

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

Anyone here know who really wrote that file card? Stephen, Owen, both?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's doubtful that at age ~10, Owen wrote the file card.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Is Sneak Peek actually a figure? I've never heard that part before.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Is Sneak Peek actually a figure? I've never heard that part before.
    Yes. I own one.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was this common knowledge before? First time I'm finding out...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It was/is among King collector's. It is an obscure item with little demand, but difficult to find in an unopened package that is in VG or better condition.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I knew about Crystal Ball but not about Sneak Peek. Something new everyday!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there any official confirmation about King's writing?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Is there any official confirmation about King's writing?
    None that I'm aware of. It might be easier to get an answer from Owen King.

http://owen-king.com/

Country
    Country Flag

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...rt-last-night/
    Look, Stephen King may be the master of horror, but that doesn’t mean he’s listening to Current 93 all day. Anybody who’s read the man’s books knows he’s a longtime rock fan—Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, and Jerry Lee Lewis routinely pop up in his work. Now, fans might want to keep an eye out for a Rancid reference in his upcoming Sleeping Beauties, as the author was seen at a punk show at The Darling’s Waterfront Pavillion in Bangor, Maine yesterday.

Rancid rocked alongside Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls, and Stiff Little Fingers’ Jake Burns at the waterfront show, though it’s clear where his dad-rocking heart lies.

King is a documented fan of the punk rockers. Back in 2014, he praised the band’s …Honor is All We Know.

The new Rancid album, HONOR IS ALL WE KNOW, is a post-punk classic. Streaming free, too. Very cool.

— Stephen King (@StephenKing) October 24, 2014

Based on his response to last night’s show, he must also dig year’s Trouble Maker.

If you’re as into Stephen King as Stephen King is into Rancid, check out Consequence of Sound’s podcast on the novelist, The Losers’ Club. Just today we just dropped a new episode on the 1980 novel Firestarter.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ends in 2 days. 1 bid, $19.99:
    Vintage 1986 G.I. JOE "Sneak Peek" Advanced Recon

$59.85 BIN:
    SNEAK PEEK GI Joe Cobra Collectors Club Subscription Exclusive FSS

The hunt for Crystal Ball will begin, I'm sure. I got confirmation that King (Stephen, that is) did pen the file card for this Hasbro character

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    The hunt for Crystal Ball will begin, I'm sure. I got confirmation that King (Stephen, that is) did pen the file card for this Hasbro character
    Care to share how it was confirmed?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    2 bids, 2 days left. $30.99:
    Vintage 1986 G.I. JOE " Crystal Ball" Cobra Hypnotist On Card

$90 BIN, or make offer (toss out $69 as an offer):

Vintage GI Joe 1987 Crystal Ball MOC C9+ Very Nice AFA Prospect !!!

Heard it from someone who got it from the man himself. I've checked eBay, and like you said (or I believe it was you), the prices for the Very Good/Near Fine conditions are high...if you want the figure with the box and all. Unopened. Most of us will not be contend with just the figure, I'm sure. But I will keep my eye on it

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

An upcoming new cameo by Steve (?) or just special thanks (?)
    >>> http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=5732
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

King's voice comes in at the ~9:58 mark.

And again at the 13:24 mark.

I love the video. It's either the greatest worst thing, or the worst great thing. In fact it's both!!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Much like the storyline and title, the video is "Gone".

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hence why it's always interesting to save Youtube videos, as one never knows if they wont disappear at some point. I personally use : http://keepvid.com/
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Hence why it's always interesting to save Youtube videos, as one never knows if they wont disappear at some point. I personally use : http://keepvid.com/
    Then you should have saved it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast