Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: King appearances, interviews, podcasts...

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    An article about the event (I wonder if a video will be available)
    >>> http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/...-stage/2261974
    It was filmed and is suppose to be shared at some point... The conversation was fun, not a bunch of old tales we have heard time and time again. The Tampa Bay Times article was well done touching on most all I could think to share.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I might DVR the Today show so I can skip right to the interview. I can't stand watching Kathie Lee and Hoda.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    It was filmed and is suppose to be shared at some point... The conversation was fun, not a bunch of old tales we have heard time and time again. The Tampa Bay Times article was well done touching on most all I could think to share.
    Do you work for them?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Do you work for them?
    NO. It was good to see they touched on many highlights of conversation and got the quotes accurate. Having worked in media/for newspapers I often cringe when I see discrepancies in reporting.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The twitter account related to the serie mentions that it will air today : "TUNE-IN Today to see JJ Abrams, @StephenKing and @JamesFrancoTV on @TODAYshow #112263onHulu "
    >>> https://twitter.com/112263OnHulu/sta...51954869243904
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

@ 2min30, Steve mentions that he wrote "a newspaper that called the professor by various profane names"...
    I dont think that I have heard that before. I dont think that it's one of the Garbage Truck. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

@ 2min30, Steve mentions that he wrote "a newspaper that called the professor by various profane names"...
    I dont think that I have heard that before. I dont think that it's one of the Garbage Truck. Does that ring a bell to anyone?
    The Story, or, How Stephen King Learned to Write

When I was a sophomore in high school, I did a sophomoric thing which got me in a pot of fairly hot water, as sophomoric didoes often do. I wrote and published a small satiric newspaper called The Village Vomit. In this little paper I lampooned a number of teachers at Lisbon (Maine) High School, where I was under instruction. These were not very gentle lampoons; they ranged from the scatological to the downright cruel.

Eventually, a copy of this little newspaper found its way into the hands of a faculty member, and since I had been unwise enough to put my name on it (a fault, some critics argue, of which I have still not been entirely cured), I was brought into the office. The sophisticated satirist had by that time reverted to what he really was: a fourteen-year-old kid who was shaking in his boots and wondering if he was going to get a suspension ... what we called "a three-day vacation" in those dim days of 1964.

I wasn't suspended. I was forced to make a number of apologies - they were warranted, but they still tasted like dog-dirt in my mouth - and spent a week in detention hall. And the guidance counselor arranged what he no doubt thought of as a more constructive channel for my talents. This was a job - contingent upon the editor's approval - writing sports for the Lisbon Enterprise, a twelve-page weekly of the sort with which any small-town resident will be familiar. This editor was the man who taught me everything I know about writing in ten minutes. His name was John Gould - not the famed New England humorist or the novelist who wrote The Greenleaf Fires, but a relative of both, I believe.

He told me he needed a sports writer and we could "try each other out" if I wanted.

I told him I knew more about advanced algebra than I did sports.

Gould nodded and said, "You'll learn."

I said I would at least try to learn. Gould gave me a huge roll of yellow paper and promised me a wage of 1/2˘ per word. The first two pieces I wrote had to do with a high school basketball game in which a member of my school team broke the Lisbon High scoring record. One of these pieces was straight reportage. The second was a feature article.

I brought them to Gould the day after the game, so he'd have them for the paper, which came out Fridays. He read the straight piece, made two minor corrections, and spiked it. Then he started in on the feature piece with a large black pen and taught me all I ever needed to know about my craft. I wish I still had the piece - it deserves to be framed, editorial corrections and all - but I can remember pretty well how it looked when he had finished with it. Here's an example:

(note: this is before the edit marks indicated on King's original copy)

Last night, in the well-loved gymnasium of Lisbon High School, partisans and Jay Hills fans alike were stunned by an athletic performance unequaled in school history: Bob Ransom, known as "Bullet" Bob for both his size and accuracy, scored thirty-seven points. He did it with grace and speed ... and he did it with an odd courtesy as well, committing only two personal fouls in his knight-like quest for a record which has eluded Lisbon thinclads since 1953....

(after edit marks)

Last night, in the Lisbon High School gymnasium, partisans and Jay Hills fans alike were stunned by an athletic performance unequaled in school history: Bob Ransom scored thirty-seven points. He did it with grace and speed ... and he did it with an odd courtesy as well, committing only two personal fouls in his quest for a record which has eluded Lisbon's basketball team since 1953....

When Gould finished marking up my copy in the manner I have indicated above, he looked up and must have seen something on my face. I think he must have thought it was horror, but it was not: it was revelation.

"I only took out the bad parts, you know," he said. "Most of it's pretty good."

"I know," I said, meaning both things: yes, most of it was good, and yes, he had only taken out the bad parts. "I won't do it again."

"If that's true," he said, "you'll never have to work again. You can do this for a living." Then he threw back his head and laughed.

And he was right; I am doing this for a living, and as long as I can keep on, I don't expect ever to have to work again.

https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/135/King_Everything.html

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

He also wrote about it in On Writing

Country
    Country Flag

So he was talking about the newspaper version of "The Village Vomit". Thanks

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Full video of the the Bookends: John Grisham in Conversation with Stephen King event

Video was removed
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks !

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Full video of the the Bookends: John Grisham in Conversation with Stephen King event

it doesn't work anymore
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Country
    Country Flag

So Manatee has deleted their own video?
    It's a good thing that I saved it on my laptop. Shoot me an email if you want, and i'll send you a link tonight.

Country
    Country Flag

I've had several requests.
    Here is a link to get the video. Click on download below the ad. It's hassle free !
    >>> http://dl.free.fr/bQeI4d8CD

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope this happens and there is a signing!!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I hope this happens and there is a signing!!
    If there is, want to do D.C. Round 2?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully it will be a ticketed event. They get a huge crowd even without someone like King. The National Press club does a strange book event once a year. They get mostly historians and journalists but they sometimes mix in a celebrity or two. Don Knotts was sitting there one year among all the academics.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful interview.
    Thanks.

Country
    Country Flag

"And if it doesn’t work so well, I can say, well, they went out and they gave their best shot but I didn’t have anything to do with it. I’m just a bystander in this car wreck."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...11b_story.html
    You never forget your first. Celebrity crush, that is.

For me, it was Lindsay Wagner in “The Bionic Woman,” which caused certain expectation problems when I actually started dating.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, you may be reflecting on your own first obsession with an out-of-reach object of devotion. You’re not alone.

This spring, Washington writers Cathy Alter and Dave Singleton will publish a charming collection of short essays called “CRUSH: Writers Reflect on Love, Longing and the Lasting Power of Their First Celebrity Crush.”

Here’s just a taste from this box of treats:

Jodi Picoult: “In my dreams, Donny Osmond was clean-cut and asexual, attentive and gentle and understanding.”

Stephen King: “Kim Novak was so heavy-eyed and feral. It was the first time I really noticed a woman’s breasts, I think — at least coupled to a desire to touch them.”

Roxane Gay: “Almanzo ‘Manly’ Wilder. . . . I am always going to be very fond of a decent man who knows when to tame something wild and when to let it run free.”

Larry Doyle: “Even as a boy of six, I knew Laura Petrie had more going on than the Mom Thing.”

David Shields: “Oh my goodness, Barbara Feldon. . . . Either ‘Get Smart’ mapped my entire sexual life over the next fifty years, or my psyche got back-formed onto the show.”

Emily Gould: “Jared Leto/Jordan Catalano’s was the first on-screen presence ever to make teenage me feel overwhelmed by longing. Before him, I’d only pretended to understand what my peers were talking about when they described their feelings for members of the New Kids on the Block or, later, Weezer.”

There’s a lot to enjoy in these three dozen pieces.

James Franco writes about his feelings for River Phoenix. And Janice “Soldier of Love” Shapiro illustrates her crush on John Lennon in a cartoon sequence.

Who was your first celebrity crush?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture...ing-kim-novak/
    My first celebrity crush was Kim Novak, in Picnic. There is a scene where she and William Holden stare at each other, clapping their hands to some fairly hot music. They don't dance, just clap and stare. What was I doing in that movie theater, watching that movie? I can't remember, but someone must have just hauled me along. One of my aunts, maybe, stuck on babysitting duty. Novak was so heavy-eyed and feral. It was the first time I really noticed a woman's breasts, I think—at least coupled to a desire to touch them. I fell deeply in love, although she was adult and terrifying.

I could imagine a kiss from her as being a prelude to ingesting me whole, but that would have been okay. Just fine, in fact.

I measured beauty by Kim Novak for years. Some girls were beautiful and some were desirable, but none of them combined the two in such a volatile mix. I have just checked on the web, and that movie was released in 1955, which would have made me just eight.

"Beautiful" by Stephen King, reprinted from CRUSH: Writers Reflect on Love, Longing and the Lasting Power of Their First Celebrity Crush. Copyright © 2016 by Cathy Alter and Dave Singleton. To be published by William Morrow/HarperCollins Publishers in April 2016. All rights reserved.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

King will be doing a book tour to promote the publication of End of Watch in June. Below are the cities and dates for each of the venues. Actual locations to be announced once they're finalized.

June 7 Jersey City, NJ
    June 8 Sewickley, PA
    June 9 Dayton, OH
    June 10 Charleston, WV
    June 11 Nashville, TN
    June 12 Louisville, KY
    June 13 Iowa City, IA
    June 14 Omaha, NE
    June 15 Tulsa, OK
    June 16 Albuquerque, NM
    June 17 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18 Reno, NV