Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: King appearances, interviews, podcasts...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Mellencamp, Stephen King will debut scary musical at Alliance

The king of goosebumps and a soon-to-be Rock and Roll Hall of Famer are creating a new musical that will debut at the Alliance Theatre.

Mystery writer Stephen King and Grammy Award-winning pop-music legend John Mellencamp, both newcomers to theater, will unveil the world premiere of "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" in April and May of next year, the Alliance has announced.

"It is John Mellencamp's musical style and it's Stephen King's gothic style, and I just thought it was too cool to pass up," Alliance artistic director Susan V. Booth says.

Set in 1957, "Ghost Brothers" centers on a simmering 40-year-old legend about the strange deaths of two brothers and a beautiful young girl in the fictional town of Lake Belle Reve, Miss.

Booth says it's too soon to say if the show will transfer to Broadway but that commercial producers will be charting the musical's progress. In a recent Rolling Stone interview, Mellencamp said, "If it goes well in Atlanta, then we'll come to Broadway. If it don't go well in Atlanta, we're done."

Mellencamp, who has been working on the piece for eight years, is to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10.

Booth said the idea for "Ghost Brothers" came from a story Mellencamp heard as a youth in his hometown of Seymour, Ind. When the writer of hits "Jack and Diane" and "Hurts So Good" decided to turn the material into a musical, he realized he needed a book writer.

At that point, Booth says, Mellencamp thought: "Wait, it's a ghost story. Who's the best ghost story writer there is? So his people talked to Stephen King's people, and now they are buddies and they have written this musical together."

Booth describes the show as "a theatrical piece with music." There will be a live band onstage, and New York director Peter Askin will direct. Askin's credits include Eve Ensler's "The Good Body" and John Leguizamo's "Sexaholix" on Broadway and John Cameron Mitchell's "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" off-Broadway.

"John and Stephen have the kinds of names and reputations that are going to attract people's curiosity," Askin says, "and the fact that they have not worked in theater before is an interesting thing."

He describes the musical style as zydeco. "It's Southern and it's kind of country."

"Ghost Brothers" will join an impressive list of new musicals to play the Alliance since Booth arrived in 2001. "The Color Purple," "Sister Act: The Musical" and "The Women of Brewster Place" have all helped put the Alliance on the national map. Last year, the Alliance won the regional Tony Award for sustained excellence.

The Alliance is expected to announce the rest of its 2008-2009 season this week.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Talks Long Road Home on NPR, 03.12.08

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default Live King interview on NPR on 3/12 re DT

Legendary author Stephen King will give a live interview to discuss the state of comics tied to the release of Marvel Comics’ Dark Tower: The Long Road Home, the second story arc in his ground-breaking epic series Dark Tower on NPR’s esteemed program Talk of The Nation this Wednesday, March 12th from 2:30-3:00 PM EST.

“Marvel Publishing is grateful to Stephen for taking the time out of his busy schedule to talk about The Dark Tower comic series and comic books as a whole,” says Ruwan Jayatilleke, Marvel Entertainment Vice President of Development. “We’re excited that this will offer a chance to introduce this phenomenal epic---and medium of entertainment--- to NPR’s listeners as well as reward loyal Dark Tower fans with some highly entertaining radio!”

The second installment of the best-selling, critically acclaimed comic book series hit stores on March 5th with the continuing saga of the last Gunslinger in Dark Tower: The Long Road Home. The series reunites the all-star creative team of Dark Tower expert Robin Furth, The New York Times best-selling author Peter David, Eisner Award-winning artist Jae Lee and fan favorite illustrator Richard Isanove, who turned the first series Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born into the comic book event of 2007 -- making it one of the year’s top selling series.

Exploring a chapter in Roland's life that is only hinted at in the novels, Dark Tower: The Long Road Home is the must-have that no comic book or Dark Tower fan can miss, and no fan of comics can afford to miss King’s live interview on NPR!

To check local listings, please visit http://www.npr.org.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info Bev. i know my npr station, and prob most, carry this program online if not in their actual broadcast schedules.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

We have a local station, I am going to find out if this is playing.

Thanks Bev.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What time is that in GMT for Ireland and the UK?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I listen to NPR all the time. I heard the interview that King did about Lisey's Story. Thanks for the info Bev.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

what OJ said, Bev. thanks!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

http://www.npr.org/stations/

you can go here to search your area code (in the US) for which stations near you will carry it.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blackrose22 View Post
    GMT is 4 hours later, so 6:30-7PM GMT.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrose22 View Post
    GMT is 4 hours later, so 6:30-7PM GMT.
    Thanks Randall for the time info. Going to set a reminder on my cell phone so I don't forget.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be their FM station over here.

BTW, is this going to be "live" live-in other words, where people can call in and pose screened questions-or a prerecorded segment, a la Leonard Lopate, Morning Edition, etc..?

http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2007/05/25/06

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I'm going to call in and ask King his favorite question asked of him..."So, where do you get all your whacky ideas??"
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Roffles.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

thanks, you stole my question.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Cyber.
    I am going to merge this-with a re-direct to the Oracle, where there is an official announcement.
    Thanks once again.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I checked NPR's interweb site and they do archive their shows so for those of us who miss it,( which will probably be most of us) will be able to listen to it the next day.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait for that link! Its going to be on during my work hours here.

My Mood
    Breezy

yeah, like a dumbass I signed up to work Overtime tomorrow.

so that link is going to come in handy.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Listened to and enjoyed the interview.
    King mentioned that Marvel will do 'The Stand' as a series of graphic novels.

Any juicy tid-bits regarding the Dark Tower comic books?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not really.
    I submitted questions via e-mail but they didn't use them.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for putting up the link for the interview with SK. I completely forgot all about this so I missed the broadcast. Enjoyed the interview but thought it could have a bit more in depth. Still good to hear that The Stand is been made into a graphic novel too.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I do like hearing the man talk about Roland though.

Very cool stuff, thanks for the link Jerome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast