Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie character of all time?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Randall Patrick McMurphy (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest)

19 59.38%
  • Darth Vader (Star Wars)

13 40.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMCOAT - Quarter Finals, Bracket 1 of 4

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been thinking about what you said for a few minutes now, Sam, and I have to say that I agree with you %110.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree too, especially on the Jack N. not being a really great actor (and As Good As It Gets being his indisputable top) part, but I still can't dismiss McMurphy (the movie McMurphy, I didn't much care for the book) as - well, as less worthy of being the BMCoAT than any Star Wars character...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Sam,

I agree that McMurphy was Jack being Jack. I also agree that he's overrated as an actor. BUT...

With McMurphy Jack being Jack fit the bill and fit it perfectly. Jack's personality fit McMurphy like a glove. It was a perfect marriage of actor and character. I don't think anyone else...even a "better" actor could have played McMurphy as well as "Jack being Jack" did. And, as you can see, to me he isn't a forgettable character.

About Vader
    Spoiler:
    How is being hated character development? There's a million and one movie villains that were hated right off the bat. All we knew about Vader at the beginning of New Hope was that he was a bad guy. All we knew about Vader by the end of New Hope is that he's an evil Jedi that "killed Luke's father" along with the rest of the Jedi. That's it. In New Hope, if it wasn't for his lightsaber, force powers, and wicked cool appearance he'd be a garden variety villain.

Throughout the next two movies we learn a little about his history and, at the end of Return of the Jedi we find that he actually is decent deep down but we still don't see much development beyond that. This character is not fully developed until the very end of Revenge of the Sith and this was Lucas' intent. To say that he didn't need the six movies to develop makes no sense to me because all of Star Wars is pretty much about Vader's "development".

Actually, this is the very reason I like him and think of him as a great character. To my knowledge there is no other character in filmdom that has had that kind of development. Star Wars is all about his journey of change from an ingenious little boy that's amazingly strong with the force, to becoming the greatest of all Jedi, to becoming a Sith, to, finally, his redemption upon his death. Even if the focus was shifted to his son in the latter half of the saga it still remains that Luke ends up making redeeming his father his major focus and, with Luke's help, Annakin fulfills the prophesy of destroying the Sith.

So there.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will retort with this one idea. Great characters don't need much development to be great characters. Over several films they do or the character becomes stagnant, but in a single film the development can be minimal and still leave a great character.

You are correct about Vader's lack of character development in the first Star Wars film, but there was little character development of Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Conceded. Lector was not that well developed. I think it was Hopkins that made him great. And, if you're just looking at Vader's function as a villain in A New Hope, he was as developed as he needed to be to fulfill his purpose. He was always a cool bad guy...especially to an 8 year old kid sitting in a dark theater. This I would never dispute.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I will retort with this one idea. Great characters don't need much development to be great characters. Over several films they do or the character becomes stagnant, but in a single film the development can be minimal and still leave a great character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    ... I love Chaplin's work as well, I simply think that the character is a little more one dimensional than people want to believe he is.
    coz: I very much agree with you about Vader.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted for McMurphy, not Jack...though I think you are wrong about Jack.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2