Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie of all time? Top 2 advance!

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones)

16 51.61%
  • Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs)

15 48.39%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMCOAT - Octa Finals, Bracket 4b

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on! Lets get three more votes for Lecter!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let's look around first, maybe I got it all wrong and the thread is here...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Fascinating, maybe; intriguing, sure; I can never love them anyway. As to who is more interesting, there must be a thread where Nikolett expressed an opinion very similar to mine; it was called something like "why do people like the bad guy" - she confessed, much like me here, that she was never really interested in the villain of a story. (Now, as I am typing this, the horrible realization creeps upon me that the thread may have been at .net...)
    I remember it very well.

bears would always vote a good guy over a bad guy
    Hannibal Lecter isn't totally bad. He isn't a villain to me. He is a psycho and he isn't an ordinary person still... my mind doesn't consider him as a villain.
    I voted for him.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I voted for Indy, because honestly, I would be more likely to rewatch Indy movies more times than Hannibal movies even though I love both.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Close race!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding Lecter being a "bad guy", he is very much a bad guy. Just because he wasn't the main villain of Silence of the Lambs doesn't mean he wasn't a bad guy. I've met people very much like him in my life, and I mean VERY much like him. Trust me on this one, no matter what sort of polish and clothing he may wear, he's definitely a villain. Remember, no matter how pretty it looks on the outside, no matter how delicious you may think it will be, a rotten apple is still rotten.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    We named the dog INDIANA
    I believe that that should be "We named THE DOG Indiana."
    yes, you are correct
    No big deal, I just love the line, too. "Indiana's" fahthah might just be an even great character than Indy himself. Too bad he got no nomination here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Fascinating, maybe; intriguing, sure; I can never love them anyway. As to who is more interesting, there must be a thread where Nikolett expressed an opinion very similar to mine; it was called something like "why do people like the bad guy" - she confessed, much like me here, that she was never really interested in the villain of a story. (Now, as I am typing this, the horrible realization creeps upon me that the thread may have been at .net...)
    hmmm, I don't recall it. It might have been before my time over there. But maybe we should start up another discussion, because I'd like to continue this but I don't want to hog the thread.
    Great idea. I'll keep an eye out for that thread, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I had to vote for the bad guy this time. I can love a character without loving the supposed person that the character is representative of.
    As usual, you caught the very essence of the matter and worded it clearly... Anyway, though, I can only like such a character, while loving for me would necessarily take liking both the character and the person.
    For me, that can be replaced with liking both the character and the writer. (And thanks for the compliment.)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

alas, in Lecter case, I like neither the character, nor the writer, nor the director........

(liked what Sam wrote, though)

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Regarding Lecter being a "bad guy", he is very much a bad guy. Just because he wasn't the main villain of Silence of the Lambs doesn't mean he wasn't a bad guy. I've met people very much like him in my life, and I mean VERY much like him. Trust me on this one, no matter what sort of polish and clothing he may wear, he's definitely a villain. Remember, no matter how pretty it looks on the outside, no matter how delicious you may think it will be, a rotten apple is still rotten.
    It's more complex than that. It's not like he's, say, Freddy Krueger.

For example, in Hannibal (the book), a girl was raped by her pedophile brother. Hannibal was her psychiatrist, and he helped her get over the blame that she was feeling over it. And when she finally killed her brother, Hannibal willingly took the blame so she wouldn't get caught. He does have a moral code and a sense of right and wrong, no matter how warped that may be. (And I know some people think this was added at the last minute in the third book, but it's still present in Silence in some spots).

If people here think Mordred (of all people) is misunderstood when Mordred never committed a nice act in his life, I think Lecter should be afforded a similar courtesy.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have to agree with Sam on this one. Lecter is a cannibalistic serial killer. If you make a habit of killing people for your own gratification this pretty much makes you evil. While his twisted sense of morality and fair play does make him a more complex character there's nothing complex about the fact that he's one bad dude.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    I'll have to agree with Sam on this one. Lecter is a cannibalistic serial killer. If you make a habit of killing people for your own gratification this pretty much makes you evil. While his twisted sense of morality and fair play does make him a more complex character there's nothing complex about the fact that he's one bad dude.
    sounds very true to me

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It's more complex than that. It's not like he's, say, Freddy Krueger.

For example, in Hannibal (the book), a girl was raped by her pedophile brother. Hannibal was her psychiatrist, and he helped her get over the blame that she was feeling over it. And when she finally killed her brother, Hannibal willingly took the blame so she wouldn't get caught. He does have a moral code and a sense of right and wrong, no matter how warped that may be. (And I know some people think this was added at the last minute in the third book, but it's still present in Silence in some spots).

If people here think Mordred (of all people) is misunderstood when Mordred never committed a nice act in his life, I think Lecter should be afforded a similar courtesy.
    wow.....we actually agree on something.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Lecter best, though I love Indiana too.

On the subject of good and bad guys I think it's rather rare that a person is one or another and I have no problem loving a bad guy in fiction or in real life. Behavior or actions don't make for a bad guy IMO. Good people do some very despicable things too sometimes. Rarely is someone a clearly good or bad person.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I liked Lecter best, though I love Indiana too.

On the subject of good and bad guys I think it's rather rare that a person is one or another and I have no problem loving a bad guy in fiction or in real life. Behavior or actions don't make for a bad guy IMO. Good people do some very despicable things too sometimes. Rarely is someone a clearly good or bad person.
    in 'real life' there is always hope - but with fiction unfortunatley the writer is in charge. in the first film lecter was an enigma (i think that is how you spell it) it in the 2nd he was just twisted so lost the vote

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think Lecter was just plain bad though. I think the books add significantly more to the character. Hope's a funny thing. There is pretty much always hope.

Spoiler:
    *whispers* It's enigma
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Indiana Jones advances!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2