Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    I've NO doubt that this guy can make it work (I'd have said the same about most of the top collectors...except Bob, perhaps, because of his seemingly insatiable desire to complete)
    Dreamcrusher! As our president moves ever closer to eliminating my ability to earn a living in my present occupation I had hoped to move on to easy street and join the ranks of the online booksellers. Just list a bunch of books, sit back with my feet propped up and wait for those orders to come rolling in. Guess I'll have to think of something else now. Damn, Ceri!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

Along the Path of the Beam DavidK44 is on a distinguished road

Excellent news! Couldn't be in better hands.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

What a huge opportunity...

And...because of your enormous collection, you can roll your extras into your inventory to add even greater gravitas to what you're selling.

No offense to Stu - I spent a lot of money with him - but I was never entirely sure he really understood the new generation of Internet collectors...Now that you bring your real knowledge of the current collecting culture, as well as contacts here (this can really change the dynamic for future ad hoc projects like the Don Maitz and Dameron remarques for instance), and your own relationships, I think this will be B-I-G.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

When I met Roy from BadMoon books about a decade ago, he was selling out of his house and had a pretty cool collection. A few years later I was back at his house and his collection was gone. When I asked him about it, he said, "well, I decided I couldn't be a dealer AND a collector".

I think what he was saying is that if he stayed a collector, it would be bad for his business because he would want to keep everything.

Watch out David that you don't find yourself in that predicament!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Haha...I think it will be the opposite...

You sell one thing, it's no problem...just buy another one!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Scene 01:

- Hi David. I saw you have a Lettered edition of Under the Dome for U$S6000. I'll buy it.

(David): Sorry...it's not for sale.

- But you have it in your stock..

- Yes...but it's not for sale.

Scene 2:

David has a Lettered ed of...
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Scene 3:

"I saw this remarqued book on your site."

"You must be mistaken there are no remarqued books for sale."

"You mean you have none for sale?"

"No, I mean there are none for sale (anywhere, ever again)"
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm just finally catching up on today's post and am truly excited! Congratulations, David, on your new "baby" - I can't think of a more perfect person to take the helm of Betts. It will be sad for Bangor visitors not to have the bricks and mortar to visit, but I think it was a wise decision to make it 100% online since it was almost there already. I'd love to help in any way I can, so please don't hesitate to ask! I'm so happy for you!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Boy oh boy. I am feelin' the love people. Thank you, thank you thank you. It makes me even more excited that I will get to know some of you even better, and I cannot think of a nicer, more intelligent group of people than the ones here on this site. So kudos to ALL OF YOU, as you are the ones that make this all possible!

And yes, I think I am pretty plugged into the collecting scene as well as having some pretty great contacts in Michael Whelan, Jae Lee, Richard Isanove and the like. LOTS of possibilities out there, and believe me, I have the PASSION, don't ever question that.

As for becoming married to my collection, I heed the warnings loud and clear! Time will tell whether that will become an "issue" for me or not. I am already asking myself whether I would ever selling some of the following:

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions! Of course, that's why I'd never open a King bookstore.

John

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tons of possibilities with a guy like David at the helm, thats for sure!

Artist projects like we've been seeing of late, an enshrined list of DT owners, and likely access to even more info in that regard..... can't wait to see what you do with it David!

SELL, BUY, SELL AGAIN

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just on the site for the first time after an extremely busy day...

Wow. While John predicted it, I didn't believe it. Then again I had no idea that 95% of the sales were online and on phone.

David,

Congratulations, truly, and from the bottom of my heart. I am extraordinarily happy for you, incredibly excited for you, and wholeheartedly rooting for you.

With your combination of skill for business, love of Stephen King collectibles, and fresh vision, you are going to excel in this new venture. I wish you the best knowing full well that you will succeed.

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
    - Patrick

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats David, I hope you do well and don't have too much

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Wow. While John predicted it, I didn't believe it. Then again I had no idea that 95% of the sales were online and on phone.

David,

Congratulations, truly, and from the bottom of my heart. I am extraordinarily happy for you, incredibly excited for you, and wholeheartedly rooting for you.

With your combination of skill for business, love of Stephen King collectibles, and fresh vision, you are going to excel in this new venture. I wish you the best knowing full well that you will succeed.

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
    - Patrick
    Well said, Patrick.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

David,

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
    - Patrick
    Well said, Patrick.
    Ditto

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Tritto!

So...I'm guessing this means the job hunt is over then.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

David, popped into here to make a quick congrats. Although I have already said it to you!

You are the perfect man for the job and I couldn't imagine anyone else taking over for Stu!

Love ya, Huh!

Huggles!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Tritto!

So...I'm guessing this means the job hunt is over then.
    Alas, no. At its current size, Betts does not generate enough $$ to support my family here in CT (MUCH higher cost of living than Maine), so will need to supplement and find some balance in all of this.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats David, this is great news for yourself and for us as the collectors.

All of us were sad to see such store being sold where we knew we could get legitimate King signatures. Now with you taking over, someone we trust, the collectors can take solace in the new owner of Bett's Books. Congrats!

btw, I'm a little jelious, lol. Having a King Bookstore would be a fun operation to run!
    Geoff

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

First, congratulations David.

Second, will you be changing your name on the forum to reflect your new status as the owner of Betts?

I envy you dude, I really do. I wish I had been able to take on such a challenge, but life is what it is. If there is anything I can do to help, ask me.

David, I can't think of ANYONE who is better suited, both with your contacts and with your loved for the material, for this venture. Your running Betts only bodes well for this community, and I look forward to what the future brings.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

David - congratulations from The Netherlands.
    This is excellent news and I'm sure I'll be one of your customers!!

sk

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats !!!!, if i had been in the position to take the plunge you have, i would have in a heart beat, Though i must say, i would certainly have a ahrd time letting some of those books leave my hands !!!

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Congrats David! I've known Stu & Penney for over 10 years now after having visited the original downtown store 11 years ago and I still call them good friends. Even though the King collecting bug has pretty much left me, the memories from that first trip out to Bangor in the summer of 1998 and meeting some life-long friends because of it will never leave me. I have Betts Bookstore to thank for the memories and joys of a 10 year passion of Stephen King fandom and which eventually led me to become involved in the horror business as an editor and book reviewer.

Basically, the legacy of Betts Bookstore has made an important impact on my life and I'm honored to know that it will remain in the hands of someone very passionate for not only the world of Stephen King collecting, but the entire literary field in general. You have some very big shoes to fill, David, but I know you can do it. Please let me know if there's anything you ever need. I may be one of the "oldies" who's not all active anymore, but I'm still around and still have a few resources up my sleeves.

Jonathan Reitan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast