Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 192 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 4791

Thread: Betts Books

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    They are out-of-series leftovers or you could call them "Publishers Copies". All publishers have them, in case of damage etc. I do not collect these types of books, so its of no interest to me.

As far as market value? I would think if it was worth $5000 it would have been bought immediately.
    just my thoughts...
    just because something isn't bought immediately... doesn't mean it is priced to high... it just means the right buyers haven't walked into the store yet.

Not everything sales off the shelves at Tiffany's as soon as the items are placed on the shelves... they are waiting for the person(s) that wants the items, that also currently has the money to purchase them.
    Yeah, exactly - I'm not sure why something being "bought immediately" is a good thing from the seller's perspective.

Anything that sells immediately is either priced too low, or - since many s/l editions sell out right away - priced to sell. So Cemetery Dance has already figured out what their profit needs to be, and wants to move inventory....but David is trying o maximize revenue, and can afford to wait awhile. Sometimes you want to leave a few $$ on the table to make some quick sales, but not ALL the time.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Anything that sells immediately is either priced too low, or - since many s/l editions sell out right away - priced to sell.
    Not strictly true. If a "high end" item went on sale at Betts it would be sold immediately, whatever the price was.

By "high end", I mean all the early stuff, pre-1970, and the early Lettered editions. I know this, because I would be buying it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think Betts prices are just fine. They're competitive. He could raise the prices and have the books sit there a while and yeah, he'd still make the money but do you want to sit on those books at higher prices and wait for a sale or do you want to price them reasonably and have a steady cash flow? We already have one Very Fine Books. His prices are higher and his stock is always the same. Betts books are reasonable and his stock is always changing. I stopped checking VFB and go to bettsbooks.com a few times a day. What's a better business model?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Betts is about "turns". David wants a constantly changing inventory.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Anything that sells immediately is either priced too low, or - since many s/l editions sell out right away - priced to sell.
    Not strictly true. If a "high end" item went on sale at Betts it would be sold immediately, whatever the price was.

By "high end", I mean all the early stuff, pre-1970, and the early Lettered editions. I know this, because I would be buying it.
    I get what you're saying...

I just don't totally agree that a price that doesn't immediately generate a sale is "too high." Sure, sometimes it obviously is, but other times it SHOULD be high, and it should make buyers give it some thought - before the one buyer (like you) pulls the trigger. You're just going to make that judgement a lot quicker and with a lot more ability than someone else.

But yeah, like RF says, Betts is trying to turn inventory...it doesn't do him any good to have stuff sitting around. But a lot of it is consignment items that can show as 'for sale' as long as the buyer like (and some of those are probably priced too high).

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

But yeah, like RF says, Betts is trying to turn inventory...it doesn't do him any good to have stuff sitting around. But a lot of it is consignment items that can show as 'for sale' as long as the buyer like (and some of those are probably priced too high).
    we all have King stuff sitting around doing us no good - turning inventory is a good thing, but leaving money on the table is not... one has to decide what's more important... less cash up front, or in for the long haul.
    that said... the lettered Salem's PC edition lot was reduced to 4750.00 by david.... if someone doesn't jump on that... they're crazy.
    Damned the timing - I hate being unemployed.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

we all have King stuff sitting around doing us no good - turning inventory is a good thing, but leaving money on the table is not..(
    Yes, but David is a Collector AND a seller. He is a community asset. David does Betts as a caretaker. The profit from Betts would by no means support David and his family (I doubt it would even support one of his children going to College-let alone three).
    I am actually a bit amazed that people are debating as a result of David offering very good prices. It almost seems as though people won't face reality and acknowledge that in most instances the current price for an item is likely more than (you)and I) paid sometime long ago.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

that said... the lettered Salem's PC edition lot was reduced to 4750.00 by david.... if someone doesn't jump on that... they're crazy.
    Someone recently opined that an un-numbered PC copy would likely be worth around half of the "official" edition. If that is the case and based on your recent sale the 'Salem's Lot deluxe PC edition should be priced somewhere in the $3-3500 range.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I love David, for Betts is awesome.

I dislove David, for he started me on my journey, and now I am always broke.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Someone recently opined that an un-numbered PC copy would likely be worth around half of the "official" edition. If that is the case and based on your recent sale the 'Salem's Lot deluxe PC edition should be priced somewhere in the $3-3500 range.
    I think you mean me but I was referring to the specific case of unsigned/unnumbered PCs, like those of SKELETON CREW and DANSE MACABRE.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

obviously... you don't know what my salem's lot sold for...

or were you just fishing?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I think you mean me but I was referring to the specific case of unsigned/unnumbered PCs, like those of SKELETON CREW and DANSE MACABRE.
    Thanks for your clarification Michael.

I was guessing that yours sold in the $6-7000 range.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I bought my "Un-numbered" 'Salem's Deluxe copy from David earlier this year for $5,200 that included a bound copy of the "Stephen King Interviews" (see Collection Thread) for $5,200......

As a result, I, like Terry, think that the $4,750 is a very good price.....

My two cents...

AKC

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    I bought my "Un-numbered" 'Salem's Deluxe copy from David earlier this year for $5,200 that included a bound copy of the "Stephen King Interviews" (see Collection Thread) for $5,200......

As a result, I, like Terry, think that the $4,750 is a very good price.....

My two cents...

AKC
    Thanks for your feedback. It should provide a good reference point for someone considering the opportunity.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I was guessing that yours sold in the $6-7000 range.
    keep guessing

I ended an EBAY auction early with 4 bidders and a top bid of 7200.00
    why would I end an auction early and sale offline for less than a top bid with several active bidders?

again... I think david has his priced to low... I can only assume the other three ebay (losing) ebay bidders from my auction have not yet seen the Bett's listing yet.
    If I could somehow pull that april auction up, I'd email them and point them to Betts - but I guess EBAY now deletes all old listings if they are auctions that were ended early.

granted... my sold book was a red lettered signed edition with an extra traycase as opposed to the PC edition... but still... I think that's a damned good price.

why would I end an auction early and sale offline for less than a top bid with several active bidders?
    If I understand your response you ended your auction early for $7200. Is that accurate? Either way you did well.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

If I understand your response you ended your auction early for $7200. Is that accurate? Either way you did well.
    no... I ended the auction early with 4 bidders still bidding and a current bid of 7200.00.... so logically, I would have had to get a sum above the current bid that I felt comfortable with closing an auction with 4 bidders still bidding.
    that actual sum is between me and the person that paid it.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It was me, I admit. $1,000,000 and a McDonald's cheeseburger was the ending price we settled on. Totally worth it!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

and I'm still waiting on the cheeseburger...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

and I'm still waiting on the cheeseburger...
    You mean you didn't hold out for a "Quarter-Pounder (with cheese a freaking "Royale") and Fries"?

You got rooked my friend!!! I would've made him throw in the fries and a vanilla shake!! You do know they put "Cherry's" in them things these days!!! LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The 'Salem's Lot PC sold at Betts earlier this year was originally $5,600 or $5,700. I gave David the latitude to give a discount to any good customer of his just to move the book within a day or two. Had I not needed the money for a more significant purchase, I would have had it listed at $6,000 and waited for a sale...or kept it on my shelf. I have not seen the current Betts listing but will say that anyone who gets that book (assuming no flaws) for $4,750 should consider it a bargain. Remember, there are ONLY 29 of these in existence!

Regarding some comments about PCs, early PCs are very much worth every bit as much as numbered copies. In the early days, the PCs were actually given away/presented by King to people close to him. After a while, publishers saw this as an opportunity to make some extra money and published more and more. Those PCs dilute the market and, in my opinion, make them less attractive (and valuable) than the numbered or lettered editions.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    The 'Salem's Lot PC sold at Betts earlier this year was originally $5,600 or $5,700. I gave David the latitude to give a discount to any good customer of his just to move the book within a day or two. Had I not needed the money for a more significant purchase, I would have had it listed at $6,000 and waited for a sale...or kept it on my shelf. I have not seen the current Betts listing but will say that anyone who gets that book (assuming no flaws) for $4,750 should consider it a bargain. Remember, there are ONLY 29 of these in existence!

Regarding some comments about PCs, early PCs are very much worth every bit as much as numbered copies. In the early days, the PCs were actually given away/presented by King to people close to him. After a while, publishers saw this as an opportunity to make some extra money and published more and more. Those PCs dilute the market and, in my opinion, make them less attractive (and valuable) than the numbered or lettered editions.
    and I have or have had several lettered editions... in my personal opinion... I think the salem's lot is the best of the bunch - unless you've actually seen it in person... it's hard to explain.
    kind of like how the limited "Stand" sets the standard for king numbered editions
    had I not gotten laid off and really needed to retire some debt, I would have never sold mine... and if I find new employment soon, and that PC edition is still around at that price.... I will be buying it.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like the Deluxe 'Salem's sold overnight.....

Great Deal @ $4,750.....

AKC

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

yep...someone got a steal...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 192 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 149 ... LastLast