Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I am not moving to Bangor. Sadly, Stu and I decided the store will close. So very little of his business is done by "walk ins" (yes, get the DT reference!). The inventory will move down to me in CT and the business will run as a Web/phone/e-mail business, which it already is at 95%+.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well...David, what an amazing project in this particular moment If you believe in destiny, maybe there you have the reason why you weren't confirmed in the last job. A better opportunity was knocking at the door
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    I was very sad to hear that Stu was closing after so many years. My very first signed book came from there, and I visited there on my first honeymoon, with Stu opening specially for me.

Now I know that the new owner is someone of the highest integrity, I've no concerns about the future of Betts (will the name remain?). Matey, I couldn't be more pleased for you. You have the right mix of honesty and insanity to make this work.

In another thread Sir_Boome suggests you update the mailing list. My suggestion is to re-design the website. You don't want anything too fancy (I think that would detract from its main job) but it's a little too sprawling at the moment.

All the luck in the world to you my friend.

Ceri
    Ah, Ceri my old friend!

Thank you for your comments, and yes, the name will remain as it has a presence in the community around the world. Sadly, the store front in Bangor will close and I will run it as a web-based business (Stu says 95%+ of orders come from e-mail/phone/web). I have several ideas, but e-mail list refinement and new design will occur as soon as I can manage it.

that's all right... from now on...all future DT conventions will feature a visit to Dave's house.
    and... in the spirit of other's here... i offer my house for storage of the inventory... any time you need it.... you just let me know.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

There could be no better news.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

This is awesome. Congratulations David!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

So Dave, will you be maintining a "brick and mortar store", or will you be doing this as an e-business?

Congrats!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Do Dave, will you be maintining a "brick and mortar store", or will you be doing this as an e-business?
    Various threads going on Rick, but sadly, the Bangor store will close and I will run it as an e-business. 95%+ of Stu's sales are in this manner already.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, (and my wife will attest to this), for YEARS, I have told her my dream retirement job would to run Stu's business. Well, I have just turned 50 and not even close to retirement, but I am without a job and Stu wants to sell....so is it Ka? Fate? Coincidence?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

That news just made my day.

Congrats my friend. This opportunity couldn't have gone to a more deserving and respected collector.

I'm not just saying this, I truly mean the following:

If you need help in any way moving inventory, or closing out the bricks and morter store I don't mind using some of my airline miles to fly north and help.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I am so happy for you, David!. I look forward to doing business with the new owner of Betts. Congratulations on your new venture.

Will you be running the business full time?. I assume someone will have to mane the 'store' to pick up phones and get shipments packed. Do you plan to house the inventory in a separate location so people may drop in by appointments?.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, David, and best of luck going forward.

This promises to be very interesting and I am looking forward to the future of Betts Bookstore.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so glad that the legacy will live on, and that David will be at the helm!
    Congratulations David.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations!!!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    I am so happy for you, David!. I look forward to doing business with the new owner of Betts. Congratulations on your new venture.

Will you be running the business full time?. I assume someone will have to mane the 'store' to pick up phones and get shipments packed. Do you plan to house the inventory in a separate location so people may drop in by appointments?.
    Thanks Juliana-

Once I get everything ready, I will man the "shop" myself. I am planning, at present, to house the inventory off site. Appointments are a possibility.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We'll merge this with the Bett's has a new owner thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    I was very sad to hear that Stu was closing after so many years. My very first signed book came from there, and I visited there on my first honeymoon, with Stu opening specially for me.

Now I know that the new owner is someone of the highest integrity, I've no concerns about the future of Betts (will the name remain?). Matey, I couldn't be more pleased for you. You have the right mix of honesty and insanity to make this work.

In another thread Sir_Boome suggests you update the mailing list. My suggestion is to re-design the website. You don't want anything too fancy (I think that would detract from its main job) but it's a little too sprawling at the moment.

All the luck in the world to you my friend.

Ceri
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    WOW! Thats amazing David - congratulations!! If you need any help at all don't hesitate to ask us!
    I am ALWAYS open for suggestions, so send them along. Some will be utilized, others not, of course, but my goal is to give everyone the best experience I can offer.
    David - amazing! You always give us the best surprises! You know that my assistance is always available to you and I wish you the best of luck with your new venture!!!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Congrats David on your new adventure!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Stu's first words to me were you CAN NOT fall in love with the inventory. I have a strong will, so I think I can manage.
    Your will is stronger than mine. Me, I would start each day raring to go and each evening someone would find me amongst the books, stroking & cradling them, and not an ounce of work done.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I kept the secret!!
    Great news David and GOOD LUCK!!
    Now I know who to call to get some more stuff!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Now we ALL know who to call to get some more stuff!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Will we be getting any special discounts?

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

congratulations David!
    After looking for your job, and Stu's retirement, nothing could turn better for you to achieve your dream.

A new era begins
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great news! Congrats, David.

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

The question of wanting to hang on to everything "juicy" is an interesting one.

When I was buying and selling on a large (for me) scale, I bought and sold almost all of the signed limiteds, MANY signed first editions and a ton of the rarer first editions. I wanted to keep EVERYTHING but I made a decision right at the beginning that I would enjoy and savour every item for as long as it took to sell it again. I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy new stock AND tuck a little into my creaking bank account...and I owned, however briefly, items that I couldn't dream of owning without trading. Now that Dave owns, arguably, the ULTIMATE King collectible, he has to exercise the same restraint with everything else to be able to keep it. I've NO doubt that this guy can make it work (I'd have said the same about most of the top collectors...except Bob, perhaps, because of his seemingly insatiable desire to complete), because he has deep roots in business, coupled with the fact that he's an instantly likeable guy who has a comparatively small but tight-knit community right behind him.
    Calla Wolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast