Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 192 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The one book I was interested in is still the same price it was 5 years ago when it first went on sale.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

This is kind of a dumb question...but you're offering the SOD I and II lettered editions for $2500, with the buyer assuming the seller's order....

But since the seller hasn't gotten the books, why wouldn't they just get a refund instead of costing themselves $500 from the $3K difference?

Anyway...not my business! But I've been wondering about it for awhile...

Make an offer, Rabbit!

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    This is kind of a dumb question...but you're offering the SOD I and II lettered editions for $2500, with the buyer assuming the seller's order....

But since the seller hasn't gotten the books, why wouldn't they just get a refund instead of costing themselves $500 from the $3K difference?

Make an offer, Rabbit!
    I believe it is a member here who was solicited by Mindy to by her PC copies. When he requested a refund she said "I already spent the money, sorry" or something to that extent.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Some pretty hefty discounts!

*edit* although I noticed that one of the NEBEL books actually has increased in price. A typo perhaps?
    No, not a typo sorry. Chris's decision.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The one book I was interested in is still the same price it was 5 years ago when it first went on sale.
    Make me (Chris) an offer

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

Make an offer, Rabbit!
    I believe it is a member here who was solicited by Mindy to by her PC copies. When he requested a refund she said "I already spent the money, sorry" or something to that extent.
    Eric, you have a terrific memory! Yes, the seller bought the first copy from Mindy and she would not buy it back and said CD could not either.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

An apology and an explanation here....

First, I am sorry I do not have the new material posted on the site yet. Lots going on around here, the biggest of which is that my wife and daughter are leaving for Chicago to spend 10 days with family. One boy is at camp, so I'll be here with my 17-year-old. Lots to do to get them all ready.

Second, Stu left me with several boxes of stuff that I had NO IDEA what the value is or WHOSE stuff it is. It took me a long time to look at all the items, auction catalogs, stuff addressed to Charlie Fried, book marks, posters...a whole bunch of things...and to make a list. Chris identified what he thought was his, so the leftover is mine (Betts). There will be quite a few items to list. Some likely has no value and I will decide not to list it or give it away free. I mean, should I charge for an early vintage Betts newsletter? It IS interesting looking at the prices on stuff back then, but valuable? Don't think so.

Anyway, be patient with me while I try to post this stuff and get my women off to Chicago tonight.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post

Make an offer, Rabbit!
    Eric, you have a terrific memory! Yes, the seller bought the first copy from Mindy and she would not buy it back and said CD could not either.
    Lame...but then it as a private deal so that's a risk. I'll assume she made it clear there would be no refunds.

Still, it's incredibly sketchy for an employee of a company to pre-sell a book like this.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Make an offer, Rabbit!
    Lame...but then it as a private deal so that's a risk. I'll assume she made it clear there would be no refunds.

Still, it's incredibly sketchy for an employee of a company to pre-sell a book like this.
    If I remember the story correctly, the guy ordered a copy through the website and there was a mistake and they weren't able to fill his order. So she offered them PC copies instead. If I remember correctly, he didn't know he was buying her personal copies until he asked for a refund.

Make an offer, Rabbit!

If I remember the story correctly, the guy ordered a copy through the website and there was a mistake and they weren't able to fill his order. So she offered them PC copies instead. If I remember correctly, he didn't know he was buying her personal copies until he asked for a refund.
    I vaguely do remember this story now...but I do think it was clear it was her personal copies, but "as a favor" or something.

Is there a shady business practice that CD doesn't engage in? Or do they pretty much try to dabble in all of them?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A mistake in the listing?

The following is listed as introduction by Stephen King :
    cc878 Stephen King - by Keyishian & Keyishian
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

So, David has yet again uploaded a bunch of nice items. Did anyone here get the George Beahm stuff (manuscripts etc. inscribed to Charlie Fried)? I decided to get the Castle Rock Newsletter photocopies. A full set of originals would be nice but to be honest, there are some books that I'd rather spend my budget on right now, so I'm settling for the next best thing (IMO)

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I got a large amount of it!
    Got lucky-never sleep much...

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up a few things m'self!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Gonna update the name of the thread to just "Bett's Books" we all know who the owner is now!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I always thought it was Betts without the aphostrophe.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I always thought it was Betts without the aphostrophe.

Yes, no apostrophe! I sometimes mess that up myself.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

oopsie....sorry, that's what I thought too...but look at someone else's post for it...
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a little teaser.....I will be posting a new consignment hopefully tomorrow morning. 25 or so nice books, almost all of them signed running the gamut in prices. Some sigs in year of publication and a couple very early sigs.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Everyone!!!!

Aside from the functionality of the website at Betts (I know it's a pain to look thru the inventory), I want to pick the brains of all of you here. ALL FEEDBACK is welcome.

Betts is well known for its Stephen King inventory as well as that of Terry Goodkind (but with Terry saying he is now too busy to sign books, my inventory of Terry's stuff has dwindled to nearly nothing).

I am looking for different ways to expand my business.

I will tell you some of the ideas I am contemplating and I am looking for suggestions from all of you too. Your ideas could be of benefit to you as so many of you are GREAT customers of mine.

(1) Michael Whelan....almost all of you know Michael and I are friends and live close to each other. There is quite a lot that I could do with Michael that involves both Dark Tower and other King-related artwork. Am keeping my ideas under wraps for now, and, of course, I would need to convince Michael and Audrey to get on board...but this is one avenue.

(2) Remarques...I love them. I own a bazillion of them. Perhaps this is a tired story, but I do have ties to several artists and I hope to get closer to many others. I think there is a market for original art in books. Biggest bangs for the buck I think would be Michael Whelan and Bernie Wrightson, but I don't discount the value of other artists and their appeal to fans.

(3) Jae Lee...less of an idea now that he is off the Marvel Dark Tower project. I could do a remarque project with Jae. He is currently signing the rest of my personal Dark Tower comics as well as another complete set of regular issue DT comics and a full set of color variants. His DT art is already being sold through his dealer.

(4) Introducing other authors and their signed works. Clearly, biggest market and bang for the buck is King. But what if I were to branch out to include:

Joe Hill
    Tabitha King
    Peter Straub
    Clive Barker
    Neil Gaiman

This is where I WOULD LIKE YOUR INPUT AND OPINION, my friends. I collect a little of all the above authors on a personal level. I do not know if these other authors are truly collectible...I mean, I know there are lots of signed limiteds etc, but you tell me, is there an active market in these other names (or suggest other authors...Brian Keene etc.) that could add to my business and reputation at Betts?

I know Kim and Tony at Camelot books and Roy at BadMoon Books have meaningfully branched out from King over the last few years.

I welcome all input, thoughts, ideas, marketing ideas (yes, I know a newsletter is LONG overdue).

Thank you my friends. Helping me, helps you too!

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm always interested in Whelan and Joe Hill items!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Those all sound like great ideas, David. Anything you do with artists around the remarque idea should be a hit if they're priced appropriately. As far as other authors on your list, I collect Hill and Gaiman. A lot of non-King authors seem to have partnered up with a regular bookstore or website through which they sell signed newer items, however if you are considered secondary market like with the King stuff, you can sell what they no longer have.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Remarques - YES! Hope this works out.
    As for other authors, I personally am very fond of Stephen Donaldson and George R.R. martin, but I doubt they are highly collectible.

sk

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IF you could convince Michael to run his exclusive items through you as well as himself, you could become the exclusive retailer for Whelan items. It would possibly give Michael more exposure. Joe Hill items would be a good thing. Heck, I would even suggest Science Fiction if I thought money could be made in that area, but I know that market is really soft at the moment.

Of all the ideas you posed David, I think the remarques idea has the most viability just because of the higher numbers of possible product.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

David,

I think the best person to assess the the market for these items is yourself. Look at what you have sold since you took over Betts Bookstore and ask yourself:

How long was the book/item on sale for?
    Were there many customer enquiries about that item?
    Did it fetch a decent price? (Remembering the market is weak at the moment)
    Did I make much profit on the deal?

My opinion:
    Although book sales tend to be higher during hard times, (people stay in and read instead of going out), companies like Amazon who sell cheap, low value books are the only ones who benefit.

I don't think the market for King is going to get any better. There are not enough new collectors to replace the ones who have stopped collecting. People's preferences change with age and circumstances.

All bookstores are branching out to survive. I don't think you have much choice.

Be careful of opinions from this site alone, as we are all biased towards The Dark Tower and any related material.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 192 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast