Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 192 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 4791

Thread: Betts Books

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I've said it once, I'll say it again, and I'll never deny it. Dave is nothing but the finest kind.
    Thanks for what you do.

Chris
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Of course every time someone posts in this thread I quickly go to his website to see if it was an update and hope I wasn't too late. So thanks for that!!

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Of course every time someone posts in this thread I quickly go to his website to see if it was an update and hope I wasn't too late. So thanks for that!!
    Oh no! So you didn't see the listing for the.....um... Oh dear... Oh my....
    Hey look.... bundt cake!!!!!!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL...thanks, but my daughter IS baking later today for a friend's birthday! NOT a bundt cake though.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Dave is the best. I will only buy what I want from him now. The Stand Ltd I just bought was perfect.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Am still at other job and note: ****Betts is closed this Wed-Sun for family stuff****

I received 6 of 7 moving boxes of the latest FT consignment Saturday afternoon. I unpacked 2 of the 6 boxes yesterday with my daughter and am quite disappointed so far....I was told most of the collection had been bought from Stu and most of the 1st trades were CLOSE to Fine/Fine....NOT what I'm finding so far.

A Whispers S/L has sun faded spine....2 copies of Dead Zone turned out to be BCE, NOT 1st editions, a Firestarter is a third printing, and so far ALL 1st trades have wear to DJ's, although books themselves appear to be in pretty nice condition, but DJ's have wear to edges and corners....

***SO, this will be a HUGE pain in the ass for me as I need to critically assess all 60+ books that were shipped (I'd say 80% so far are NOT Fine/Fine)...will need to present findings to sellers, negotiate discounts and then approach all of you who ordered....some may cancel orders altogether, but fact remains is that this creates a HUGE amount of extra work on my part....

I will get to you all in time, but I need to unpack the rest, assess each book for flaws...contact the sellers, AND I will be closed Wed-Sun. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

David
    have fun on vacation...the book situation is not good at all.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

That's awful David!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry David - I'm sure everyone will be understanding - and patient.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sucks.. bad news for David, the people (the person consigning the books to David) who obviously thought they knew books and did not and all the people that bought books on that large lot. Most sold too WHAT a pain in the ass~~
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Still lots of prelim work to do, but I just unpacked and assessed the next 4 boxes and results were MEASURABLY better, not perfect but better...most of the high $$ collectible books check out ok, not all but vast majority....at issue is the 1st trade editions mostly just don't make the grade.

Still, I am in a better frame of mind now that I've seen 6 of 7 boxes, but I still need to work things out with consignee and then contact any of you with "problem" books. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad the rest of the boxes were not the nightmare the 1st two boxes were. I hope this doesn't give you too much of a hassle.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

OMG David! I'm one of the people that bought a Dead Zone. Well I that's bad news . Hope things get better but it sounds like the seller was "off" grading and such. That is too bad, hope it gets better. I'll email you about it from my order
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Am still at other job and note: ****Betts is closed this Wed-Sun for family stuff****

I received 6 of 7 moving boxes of the latest FT consignment Saturday afternoon. I unpacked 2 of the 6 boxes yesterday with my daughter and am quite disappointed so far....I was told most of the collection had been bought from Stu and most of the 1st trades were CLOSE to Fine/Fine....NOT what I'm finding so far.

A Whispers S/L has sun faded spine....2 copies of Dead Zone turned out to be BCE, NOT 1st editions, a Firestarter is a third printing, and so far ALL 1st trades have wear to DJ's, although books themselves appear to be in pretty nice condition, but DJ's have wear to edges and corners....

***SO, this will be a HUGE pain in the ass for me as I need to critically assess all 60+ books that were shipped (I'd say 80% so far are NOT Fine/Fine)...will need to present findings to sellers, negotiate discounts and then approach all of you who ordered....some may cancel orders altogether, but fact remains is that this creates a HUGE amount of extra work on my part....

I will get to you all in time, but I need to unpack the rest, assess each book for flaws...contact the sellers, AND I will be closed Wed-Sun. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    I am sure that 20% of us our NOT EXPERTS at King Collecting on this site. I did however spend a lot of time comparing my 1st edition books to the King website, trying to ensure i have 1st 1st books in my collection. As many of you can attest... grading is very subjective what is fine to some could only be VG to others etc... I DO NOT find any fault in the SELLER believing they had 1sts in fine condition. What they do now (after the expert has reviewed their wares) will be interesting to see. No blame should be put on the collector (especially if they bought items from STU stating fine condition, they believed in what they bought) but now are coming to a realization that maybe not everything is as it seems!

That being said, DAVID please come to St. Louis and review/verify/grade my 1st 1st collection. I dont want to be caught with my books being covered in less than desirable states!

Sorry to hear that from the Seller's point of view. They are probably not going to be happy to hear David's news either!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What a pain in the cahones for you, David. But nothing you can control. I'm sure everyone who purchased will be patient - just enjoy your break properly and only bring it back to your mind upon your return. Take it easy...

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Aye that's unfortunate David, especially seeing that I got a Dead Zone and a Firestarter and then proceeded to sell my VG copies of both hahaha whoops!(dumb on my part) Definitely not your fault though so no worries. Enjoy your break man

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great summary of your perspective of the SK collecting market today David. I've been wondering what some of the collectors here think about the health of SK collecting, and how the cycles look from a longitudinal perspective. Interesting stuff.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Great summary of your perspective of the SK collecting market today David. I've been wondering what some of the collectors here think about the health of SK collecting, and how the cycles look from a longitudinal perspective. Interesting stuff.
    Agreed. I really enjoyed it myself
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Agreed. I really enjoyed it myself
    +1. Great read.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    Aye that's unfortunate David, especially seeing that I got a Dead Zone and a Firestarter and then proceeded to sell my VG copies of both hahaha whoops!(dumb on my part) Definitely not your fault though so no worries. Enjoy your break man
    WHAT IS THAT OLD PROVERB?.....OH YES!
    Spoiler:
    A BOOK IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN THE MAIL.
    or I GUESS "DON'T COUNT YOUR BOOKS UNTILL THEY ARIVE...ALSO WORKS.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    WHAT IS THAT OLD PROVERB?.....OH YES!
    Spoiler:
    A BOOK IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN THE MAIL.
    or I GUESS "DON'T COUNT YOUR BOOKS UNTILL THEY ARIVE...ALSO WORKS.
    Wise words indeed

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you....That missive on my site is just my personal opinion, an informed one I think, but one opinion nevertheless.

The other question I get all the time is essentially this:

"Don't you think that book collecting is a dying breed? With the younger generation tethered to their phones and on-line everything, don't you feel that the power of actual books is waning?"

My answer is this:

I do recognize that the publishing industry (books, newspapers, media in general) has been in steady decline for a number of years now. And yes, the younger generation is tethered to their phones, BUT from my vantage point as Caretaker of Betts, I see as many younger collectors joining us "crazy demented" old-timers as I do older collectors getting rid of their collections. It is true that most of the consignments I get are from customers/collectors aged 50+ (but I think this is natural as older people are structuring for their retirement spending), BUT there has been a steady increase in new collectors that are younger taking their place. So, in summary, I DO NOT see book collecting as a dying "art" because I see a steady stream of newbies entering the fold.

Country
    Country Flag

WEll said David... the Facebook groups I am with are ALL YOUNGER than me and I am in my late 30's. They buy almost every book posted on there.... it is crazy. As you know I have sent many your way
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I probably fall into the "younger generation" category. I do all my reading on a digital device (i.e., kindle) because I find it much more convenient; I have all my books with me wherever I go, I can start reading new books instantly without waiting for delivery or having to go to a bookstore, every "book" is easy to carry around, I can pick the type/spacing as I like, and there's a built in light. At the same time I love and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a well-made book and will continue to collect the physical representations of my favorite stories
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    I think I probably fall into the "younger generation" category. I do all my reading on a digital device (i.e., kindle) because I find it much more convenient; I have all my books with me wherever I go, I can start reading new books instantly without waiting for delivery or having to go to a bookstore, every "book" is easy to carry around, I can pick the type/spacing as I like, and there's a built in light. At the same time I love and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a well-made book and will continue to collect the physical representations of my favorite stories
    Well said!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 192 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 ... LastLast