Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 192 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Default Betts Books

Was this thread started somewhere else?

Anyway, email I got:

"Here is an update that will be unexpected by most of you that receive it. After almost 20 years, I have decided to sell Betts Bookstore. This has not been an easy decision to make, but I am going through some major changes in my life and it seems like the right time to do this. 2009 has been a terrible year in terms of sales volume, as most of this country has experienced. That coupled with a health scare, the impending death of my Dad, and the loss of my closest friend, I just don't have the desire to continue any longer. The business is listed with a local Realtor at a very attractive price if anyone is interested in moving to Bangor.

We will carry on with business as usual until the store sells, or Jan 1, 2010 at which time it will be shut down. We will be selling Under The Dome when it is released in November. Hopefully we will have a couple of the signed limiteds available, but we are not taking reservations for them at this time. We do have a limited number of signed copies of Terry Goodkind's new book, The Law Of Nines.

Penney and I certainly appreciate all the great friends we have met through this store, and all the business that everyone has given us over the years. We will miss all of you.

Stu"

Obviously, not good news. Unfortunately, in this market, not entirely surprising. But, hopefully he can move on and enjoy his retirement!

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

totally sad news...I've bought a TON of stuff over the years from him and consider him a friend.....

Along the Path of the Beam kacod is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Stu is a gentleman and has always been a pleasure to do business with. Personally, I hope he has a great retirement and gets a chance to fly alot. I know our community will miss him, but after all they are just books, right?

Right?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I just hope it's more on the line of "time to move on and retire and do something new" as opposed to financial situations forcing something he didn't really want to do.

But...I think, and hope, he just decided it was time.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that is a surprise. I'm sorry to read about all the heavy burdens they have had to deal with emotionally recently. This economy sure isn't helping on the financial side.

I hope someone buys the business and carries on.

Best to Stu and Penney in their retirement.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sad news indeed.

Purchased most of my signed King items from Bett's.

My wife would cringe every time a package would show up with Stu Tinker as the return address.

Stu has ALWAYS been a gentleman and a sincere pleasure to do business with.

The website is one I check every day without fail no matter where I am.

As others have expressed, Stu will be sorely missed.

I can only hope he finds pleasure and enjoyment in whatever the future holds for him and Miss Penney.

Karl

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sad news. Hope it's for good.

But well...it has been sold before. Hope the new owner/s are as cool as him.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought lots of stuff from him over the years, but, alas, nothing recently. I will miss him!

John

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Very sad news. I will miss Stu. Hard to think of Betts without him.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

I was shocked to see this thread topic... Sad day for King collectors

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bett's closing

Very sad news. I've know Stu for 20 years and bought many, many items
    over the years. One of the most reliable and trustworthy sources around.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good luck to Stu in his future endeavors.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow - this is sad news.
    I was in Bangor last Summer and visited Betts Books, obviously and had a nice chat with Stu.
    I wish him all the best in his retirement!

sk

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i say....
    a going away. retirement party at Betts on Dec 18th!
    always wanted to visit Stu/ Betts....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am guessing that with the "impending death" of his Dad, it will a a while until he can move on and enjoy his retirement.
    Sad and terrible news.

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too am very saddened by this news.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sad and terrible news indeed. I have looked just now at Stu's website and found no mention of this. I intend to place an order for some stuff I've been looking at for a while. Nothing big, but every little bit will help I'm sure.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I was talking to him earlier this month and he mentioned that he was thinking about it, so it's not THAT much of a shock to me, but still a very sad day for the King world!

Let's do the retirement party! I will drive the three hours (depending on snow storm) to go!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I was also on the phone to Stu 2 weeks ago. Purchased 4 inexpensive books from him. He mentioned what a terrible year for his business this has been, but he did not mention closing. I have been aware that his updates on his site has been far and long in between this year as he usually updates whenever books are sold or new inventory.

I say buy a book from Betts, people!. Support our favourite bookseller.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't have much, but my Desperation proof is from Stu. Bought by my wife as a gift to me.

Best of luck, Stu.

*heads off to check his current inventory*

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Wish I had the money, I would shop. But, you know what, even if this year "turns around" right now, I think he still wants out. He's been at it for some time and needs a change!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

The very first book in my collection, a 1st edition 1978 Stand was purchased from Stu many years ago. We have done a ton of business since then. This is indeed sad news.

I have often said to my wife that I should buy Stu's business. I so love Collectors and Stephen King, but I'm not yet ready to make that move. If it had been 5 years from now, maybe a different story.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Lurking

I don't think he will wait

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I thought I could make a go at it, and if my wife were a younger woman (and not sick, I'm not willing to have us leave her oncologist) I might would consider such a move. Now though... it's just not feasible.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 192 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast