Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 192 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Tomas, i LOVE all of your ideas!

Although i am not so keen of the gift vouchers (would it really work?), and would find it hard to create the certificate that arent easy to reproduce... Nowadays...
    thanks...though it's Ceri, not Tomas
    Calla Wolf

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

David, if you bring new consignment content on the website : please get rid of all those "new", "new consignment"... it makes that the page is currently a real pain to read, and it's not easy at all to just browse into the content

I am part of the younger generation, and i am quite greedy! Who knows, maybe one day i'll collect english language items? :-)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post

With the proliferation of electronic media, YouTube, social networking etc., I too worry about the "younger generation" and whether they will ever appreciate the feel and smell of an actual book. I am sure there will be a percentage (how small?) who will appreciate collecting, and reading actual paper books, but I am positive we have "lost" some of the younger generation.
    I read this article the other day, found it interesting and it addresses this issue.

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/iss...ectors-1.phtml

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

David, if you bring new consignment content on the website : please get rid of all those "new", "new consignment"... it makes that the page is currently a real pain to read, and it's not easy at all to just browse into the content
    I, too, find it hard to tell what is "new" today vs. what was "new" last week. I'm sure this will all get sorted out with the newer web design but I'd like the "Last Updated" heading to include the date and the TIME of the update. I find myself checking several times during the day and really have a hard time sorting new listings from old ones.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

And a couple more that once had large collections, sold them to Stu within the last 10 years and now are rebuilding all over again.
    I am one of them. I collected King since the Carrie paperback, but sold off my collection. I started rebuilding again in 2005 just as prices were falling.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I have an Excel spreadsheet with every book listed at Betts since David took over. It has 2 tabs, "On sale" and "Sold".

I just have the webpage and my spreadsheet open alongside each other to compare. Easy peasy.

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    And a couple more that once had large collections, sold them to Stu within the last 10 years and now are rebuilding all over again.
    I am one of them. I collected King since the Carrie paperback, but sold off my collection. I started rebuilding again in 2005 just as prices were falling.
    I've collected an estimated 250, maybe 300 signed King books over the years...but I've never owned more than about a dozen at any one time.

Now my collection's dwindled to nigh on zero

Shit happens
    Calla Wolf

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Uncle Crunchy! Leave David's site alone! He didn't make it...he just acquired it from the previous owner.

?????...

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

With the proliferation of electronic media, YouTube, social networking etc., I too worry about the "younger generation" and whether they will ever appreciate the feel and smell of an actual book. I am sure there will be a percentage (how small?) who will appreciate collecting, and reading actual paper books, but I am positive we have "lost" some of the younger generation.
    I read this article the other day, found it interesting and it addresses this issue.

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/iss...ectors-1.phtml
    Yes, interesting. Thanks for sharing

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    Dave

MY suggestions are:

A competition of some kind, like I used to run on skfakes. Nominal entry fee, say $5, and a grand prize of....something. How 'bout this - the grand prize equals 90% of the entry pot in the form of a Betts Books gift voucher, the other 10% going to Betts in admin fees etc.

Another suggestion - Betts Books gift vouchers

Another suggestion (if you can get enough interest from the old SKFakes authentication gang) - offer an authenticity service with high quality certificates that would be nigh on impossible to forge

Another suggestion - Newsletters with monthly competitions / offers for subscribers only

Another suggestion - Sponsor / host a King signing (yeah, long shot, I know)

Finally, you were talking about other authors - why not offer a service to new and unpublished authors. Off the top of my head, run a writing competition - short stories only - the winner, or the top three, get an exclusive page on the Betts Books website to showcase their work for 1 year free of charge, with free publicity - if the above email newsletter idea were to take off, they could get a ton of interest in their work.

ok, I'll shut up again now and return to lurkdom

Great ideas Ceri!!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by agrabin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Uncle Crunchy! Leave David's site alone! He didn't make it...he just acquired it from the previous owner.

?????...
    snicker snicker Love Ya Hun!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've collected an estimated 250, maybe 300 signed King books over the years...but I've never owned more than about a dozen at any one time.

Shit happens
    Ouch!
    Are you planning on rebuilding...again??

sk

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

Shit happens
    Ouch!
    Are you planning on rebuilding...again??

sk
    It's unlikely. After 30 years of book collecting, my interest has slipped elsewhere, though I still enjoy a good read. Photography has taken over and filled the gap. If I'm honest, I think things started to slip when I failed to finish Lisey's Story. I hated that book from the beginning and, though I really enjoyed Duma Key, The Dome's been another slog for me. I AM looking forward to the four novellas, but I don't see me 'collecting' again.
    Calla Wolf

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Think I understand. Over the past couple of years I've been considering selling my collection. I'm certain, eventually i will.

Oh...I just LOVE Lisey's Story....

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

snicker snicker Love Ya Hun!!! [/QUOTE]

...who needs remarques anyway?

My Mood
    Buzzed

Think I understand. Over the past couple of years I've been considering selling my collection. I'm certain, eventually i will.

sk
    i thought it was like having sex in treacle...slow, hard work and really not worth the hassle
    Calla Wolf

Country
    Country Flag

i thought it was like having sex in treacle...slow, hard work and really not worth the hassle
    I wont bother trying it then.

My Mood
    Lurking

sk
    OMG!!! I soooo totally agree! It took FOREVER for me to get into it and then it wasn't all that!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

You haven't read it yet?
    Do give it a try - you're missing out on a GREAT book. I know the opinions are really divided on this one, but take my word for it: one of Kings best!

sk

Country
    Country Flag

You haven't read it yet?
    Do give it a try - you're missing out on a GREAT book. I know the opinions are really divided on this one, but take my word for it: one of Kings best!

sk
    I meant sex in treacle. Keep up frik

For me I guess it would come down to who is in the treacle with me.

Country
    Country Flag

You haven't read it yet?

sk
    I meant sex in treacle. Keep up frik

sk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

David - Anything with Michael Whelan would interest me, even if I couldn't afford it.

Also, speaking from the comic book geek world - a comic remarque is rather rare. Sometimes an artist will do a sketch on a cover with their signature, but it doesn't happen very often. I would make a suggestion for those though, to use CGC and have them graded and authenticated ( which can get pricey ).

Joe Hill would be a cool avenue as well.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am in the process this very minute of posting a major new consignment of nearly 40 signed 1st trade editions. Good pricing as well. Seller is a reputable collector I have known for 10 years. Go check it out at www.bettsbooks.com

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 192 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast