Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: American Vampire

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default American Vampire

Celebrated short story writer Scott Snyder and artist Rafael Albuquerque will launch a new monthly comic book series from Vertigo in March 2010 with a unique contribution from New York Times bestselling novelist Stephen King. The new ongoing series, AMERICAN VAMPIRE, will introduce readers to a new breed of vampire-a more muscular and vicious species of vampire with distinctly American characteristics. The series' first story arc, to be told over the course of five issues, will feature two different stories, one written by Snyder, the other by King.

King's story provides the origin of the very first American vampire:Skinner Sweet, a bank robbing, murdering cowboy of the 1880s. Skinner is stronger and faster than previous vampires; he has rattlesnake fangs and is powered by.... the sun?

>>> Full story and artwork

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This should be interesting!

Life is a garden...dig it!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Just coming here to post this info! Thanks, Bev.

Really intesting.

Funny that it's a Vertigo ( ie - DC ) title and not a Marvel book... what with all the Dark Tower stuff landing at Marvel.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

He's spreading it around -- The Talisman is with Del Rey.

Here's a long article at Newsarama

King decided to work on the comic when Snyder sent him a description of the story and asked if he could provide a quote for promotional purposes. "He wrote back and said he really liked it and he'd be willing to do a blurb. But he said he'd also be willing to do a couple issues," Snyder explained. "Obviously, I said yes."

Karen Berger, senior vice president at Vertigo, said it was a pleasant surprise to get a writer like Stephen King involved in "American Vampire." "Stephen King is the master of modern horror," she said. "He put modern horror on the map. The fact that the first comic story that he's actually written, and the fact that he's choosing to write his first comic based on the strength and the power of Scott's concept, and the fact that it's for us, is just a huge, huge thing."

And what was originally supposed to be just two issues by King quickly turned into more. "He kept saying, 'Do you mind if I expand this a little bit?'" Snyder said with a laugh. "And he ended up doing five issues. He had such an exciting direction after the second or third issue. At that point, it's totally his imaginative baby. And the series is so much better for that. He added so many great things to the character and the storyline and the relationships. He brought an incredible A-game. It was awe-inspiring to watch him do it."

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I am thinking I am going to have to get the King issues!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll get the king issues. I just hope there are not 18 different versions of each issue I have to get.

Is DC know for the money grubbing bull-shit like Marvel is with it's 10 different covers of every comic they publish? When I was a real comic kid back in the 80s, DC did not, but Marvel was doing it to some extent even then.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, this sounds interesting. I might just have to pick these up.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Masn I am going broke buying comics! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

so isthis the "november surprise"?
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    so isthis the "november surprise"?
    Actually, I think the November surprise is the Discordia game teaser/info.

The game goes live the last day in November.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Shame King is only doing half of each issue and only for the first arc. Still if this gets a hc release i'll be all over it!, a comic series written by King with new characters in it quite a rarity!.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To be fair Scott Snyder did create the characters . It is very much his project. King offered his contribution, which was expanded later. I know what you mean though, it would be good to see more comics work from King himself. If not here, elsewhere.

The ideas behind both stories seem quite interesting. I have to admit, when I saw the thread title I groaned a bit inside. "Not another vampire thing." I thought (and I like vampire stories!) but the overall theme here seems to be both bringing something original and getting back to basics with vampires as true monsters rather than misunderstood angsty people.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to this. I'll buy the five issues of the first story arc to get both stories. Then if I like it so far, I'll keep on buying.

I'm glad King is spreading the comic love to other publishers besides Marvel.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now THIS is what I wanted to see from Marvel--King actually writing a comic. I can't wait to read this.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Now THIS is what I wanted to see from Marvel--King actually writing a comic. I can't wait to read this.
    CG - As soon as I read the release, I knew you'd be thrilled.

I'm looking forward to it.

I'm loving all the Sai King related comic news.

Traveler Dean is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Last edited by Dean; 03-21-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are two stories in the comic. King wrote just one. Although you have a point, it could have turned out that way...

On the other hand it could give the series a lift too. King is only writing for five issues after all, and it's quite possible those drawn in by King in the first place might still continue if they like the other guys work.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got my comic guy (yeah, I now have a comic guy) setting aside these issues for me when they're released.

My Mood
    Gay

Having a "comic guy" is a beautiful thing.

No word yet, at least not that I've read, if there will be variant covers or anything.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a comic guy as well
    He's like my pusher
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

I suspect our first chance to order American Vampires will be in the January issue of Previews.

( I just double checked Nov & Dec and nothing is listed there yet )

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool! Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thanks !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast