Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Discordia: The Dark Tower Game

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Was surprised that King read the intro (voice) so was wondering if he maybe wrote that intro, but that was probably Robin Furth.

Traveler joshontheguitar is on a distinguished road

Default Stunned speechless, until now lol

I must say, that was fantastic! the visuals were unbelievable, and considering the size of the production team, i am astonished at the quality of work provided! cannot wait for chapter two. The only thing that bugged me was the pantry. A bit over the top on difficulty I think. I think the game needs a little more content than simple mouse scrolling, but based on what i've read here, it looks like we'll be seeing more diverse gameplay in the future. Keep up the good work!!!

Traveler fernando1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i cant find susannah's orb
    please help

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

So how can I get into this game?
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

go to stephenking.com and do a search for discordia, there's a link to it. Really cool graphics and artwork, well worth it if you're the patient type.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I found it

This game is really cool; I love the artwork. The idea of just point+click is a little simplistic, but I give it an A just because.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Traveler shaddowalk is on a distinguished road shaddowalk's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any idea about when chap. 2 will come out!?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Unfortunately, there's nothing official as to when the next chapter will be available, but this is the last thing Brian posted on the subject!!

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Tina View Post
    I posted this on SK.com's forum a few minutes ago.

Hey everyone,

I've had some PMs from users over on DarkTower.com and some questions here on this board about Discordia and the next chapter. Here was my response to Ari Racing on DT.com:

-----------------------------

Hey Bro,

I haven't signed in for a while. Sorry this is late. And thanks for playing it again. I enjoyed a second look about 6 weeks later too. I still cant believe that we made it.

Right now, were working on the Office 2.0 for SK.com. This is going to yield a ton of new tech for the Discordia game engine. Really, all this work needs to be done before we can build chapter 2 of Discordia anyway. It will make the experience so much better and immersive.

So in some ways, we *are* working on it now. The Office is scheduled for release in mid-May. You'll see, the flash and 3D animation will take major steps forward this time around.

-----------------------------

I would also add that Uncle Stephen has generously provided us with some render equipments for our "special projects." These units will allow us to do *insane* animations and fly-throughs. We're really going to see some crazy !t now. We're getting 2 of these things this month:

YouTube- renderBOXX 10300

I'd also add that BOXX is doing a very cool case study on Discordia titled "The Making of Discordia" (It will be out in the next couple weeks)

Also, Maxon (the creators of Cinema 4D - our 3D software platform) have also given Discordia "the nod." They will also be releasing an in depth case study in the near future.

Actually, these are pretty high honors from people in the industry, so any fans looking for some extra content can see these case studies for more info about how we built the game. - Once they come out later this month.

Cheers!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice Can-Tina is on a distinguished road Can-Tina's Avatar

Still no word. But thought some of you may dig this...

http://www.boxxtech.com/Downloads/cu..._CaseStudy.pdf

Maxon's case study (Cinema 4D) should be out in the next couple weeks.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very very cool, Brian! Thanks!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thebumblerinblack View Post
    go to stephenking.com and do a search for discordia, there's a link to it. Really cool graphics and artwork, well worth it if you're the patient type.
    I wasn't very patient. I didn't care for it at all, which really bummed me out.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebumblerinblack View Post
    I wasn't very patient. I didn't care for it at all, which really bummed me out.
    Thanks for the honesty Ageless. Tell me, what would have done it for you? I ask because I really want to know how we can please as many fans as possible in the future chapters. (if we build them)

As a hardcore gamer (currently enthralled with God of War 3), I can understand that the slow methodical pace of Discordia is not for everyone. Let me know whats up. - We'll see how we can improve the projects pace for people like yourself.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

discordia seemed rather like myst-lite to me, which isnt a bad thing but it wasnt that engrossing
    however due to the fact that it was only the first chaper and there was a firing range at the start (which indicates that there will be action in the future chapters) I have faith it will get better as it goes
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Traveler Knoname19 is on a distinguished road

Default Game? Art!

I am sorry but I have to agree this really doesn't qualify as a game. It is beautiful as far as graphics go, but as to anything resembling game play it is rather lacking. Maybe it is just my definition of a game, but I don't consider hovering a mouse over every millimeter of the screen game play. It is nice for a kind of puzzle with great things to find relating to The Dark Tower, but a game it is not... as of yet.
    I agree. While I LOVE the art, the "game" is little more than a glorified text adventure. Maybe Myst is a very popular game, but in the modern age of gaming, this is a game in a very loose sense. Its gameplay reminds me more of games based on the Arthur children's television series, and that sort. Especially after starting with a shooting range, it was, as of this first chapter anyway, nothing to get my blood pumping like the series did. Or even close, because the series was amazing. Anyway, I think that the concept art in the levels is amazing, and wish that there were more wallpapers from it, such as the Crimson King graffiti and that kind of stuff, and Bango Skank.
    Still, I am greatly looking forward to the next installment.

Also, just a sidenote regarding the "game" question, I'm not exactly complaining. I mean, it's a FREE game that relates to my favorite books ever, and in a way that keeps from ruining them as some book-to-games and movie-to-games do. I only say it isn't a game, because I hope that this will, maybe eventually, become the skeleton and groundwork for a full fledged console game, which I would preorder the second it was open to.
    Anyway, may all your roads rise to meet you, and the wind be at your back. Blessings for your travels on the hidden highways of this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Knoname19 View Post
    I am sorry but I have to agree this really doesn't qualify as a game. It is beautiful as far as graphics go, but as to anything resembling game play it is rather lacking. Maybe it is just my definition of a game, but I don't consider hovering a mouse over every millimeter of the screen game play. It is nice for a kind of puzzle with great things to find relating to The Dark Tower, but a game it is not... as of yet.
    I agree. While I LOVE the art, the "game" is little more than a glorified text adventure. Maybe Myst is a very popular game, but in the modern age of gaming, this is a game in a very loose sense. Its gameplay reminds me more of games based on the Arthur children's television series, and that sort. Especially after starting with a shooting range, it was, as of this first chapter anyway, nothing to get my blood pumping like the series did. Or even close, because the series was amazing. Anyway, I think that the concept art in the levels is amazing, and wish that there were more wallpapers from it, such as the Crimson King graffiti and that kind of stuff, and Bango Skank.
    Still, I am greatly looking forward to the next installment.

Also, just a sidenote regarding the "game" question, I'm not exactly complaining. I mean, it's a FREE game that relates to my favorite books ever, and in a way that keeps from ruining them as some book-to-games and movie-to-games do. I only say it isn't a game, because I hope that this will, maybe eventually, become the skeleton and groundwork for a full fledged console game, which I would preorder the second it was open to.
    Anyway, may all your roads rise to meet you, and the wind be at your back. Blessings for your travels on the hidden highways of this world!
    If you noticed, we never really called it a game because of all the reasons you list here. That's why it was called an "interactive experience." Because your right... Its not really a game.

To me, its more like looking at a picture book. (And as we said early on in this thread, its close to Where's Waldo or Highlights magazine puzzles.)

Of course, the 3D art was the true challenge of making Discordia. Now that we know we can do anything we want, we can develop killer interactive concepts based on high-end 3D artwork/video. So in a lot of ways Discordia's first chapter was a test/gamble. I don't know if it will ever evolve into a console game, but all of this testing and "transparent experimentation" is proving to be a very good way of gauging interest and enthusiasm for more Dark Tower interactive content. (browser based online or console...who knows?)

You might want check out Boxx's case study on Discordia. This will give you more info on what the first chapter of Discordia is *really* about.

Here's a snippet:

"Everyone involved with the project
    agreed that because it had taken 30
    years to write and publish, the branding
    for The Dark Tower series had become
    fragmented, no longer accurately
    portraying the technological, esoteric,
    or metaphysical concepts that heavily
    influenced the original story. It was
    decided that the ultimate goal of the
    overhaul would be to sharpen the brand
    and present a better understanding of the
    Dark Tower story (and its values) to the
    uninitiated."

IMO Discordia achieved these goals and more. And now the sky is the limit. I can't wait to hear official word from Stephen about the next chapter! Anything is possible with SK!

PS: On a side note... Did you guys see that there are 13,000 objects in the first half of chapter one. And that there are 9 million polygons in the dixie pig?! I didn't know this until recently. One of the gents a Maxon considered 1 million polys to be a lot for a single scene. So suffice it to say we pushed the boundaries as far as they could possibly go. Nothing is ever small with SK!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I work designing videogames and believe me, that poly count is almost IMPOSSIBLE for a lot of engines. If you're running it with a smooth speed and have not an aswesome videocard, that's a big point for the developers.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

This is exactly why we are trying to develop a video based game engine. Real-time 3D is about 50 years away from being able to handle something like the Dixie Pig. Every frame of video takes about 5-7 minutes to render. As you know, in a real-time 3D engine, 30-60 frames are rendered *per second.* Jeez... how long will it be before we'll see it. Maybe not in this life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    If you're running it with a smooth speed and have not an aswesome videocard, that's a big point for the developers.
    Not a chance bro. I have a sick computer and there is no way to view all the content in realtime. Layers have to be turned on and off so that I can move about the 3D environment with my 3D mouse. For the most part all shaders are off and any layers not being worked on are turned off.

Of course you still need enough RAM to spit out the renders!

Traveler Bear667 is on a distinguished road Bear667's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the first chap. Can't wait til the next.

Traveler lukenet19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I finnished first chapter already that evening when it came out and still waiting for next one but I'm quite pessimistic about its release...

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

okay so i've found everything except one item...
    items i have
    where do i find what i'm missing? i have all the orbs too!

help!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure where exactly, but I'm almost certain the answer is somewhere in this thread in a spoiler tag.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

thanks - found everything now!

now...does anyone know when (or IF?) the 2nd chapter is going to be released?!?! i hope that's not going to be it!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It probably won't be it, but last I heard (well actually read) they have another project at the moment. A simulation of King's office. I don't know how far they've got with that but I think it will be a while yet.

Not that I'm complaining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast