Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Maitz, Artist

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

WOW!! I am floored!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice! Can't wait to see the remarques of the next scenes!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice indeed.

<Wiz goes to wait in line for the auction to start...takes a good book with him>

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy shit! I really wish I could own one of these.

Thanks alot DREAM!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Thanks everyone, for the wonderful comments and kind words.

Update on the remarques. Don has finished remarque number 5 and has numbered them according to the sequence in the book. Not only that, he had made some revisions to the earlier remarques. In part from my suggestion and comments I have received on them. The remarques has also been given a light coating of spray fixative to prevent smudging. Here are the finished scan he just sent me. The link has also been updated to reflect the final work.

Remarque number 1

remarque number 2

Remarque number 3

Remarque number 4

Remarque number 5
    Last edited by Fsmdr; 10-20-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added 'Art © Don Maitz' by Don's request to the images. Note: It will not appear in the original art.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

How wonderful to see all five finished and in the same post. Please pass along my compliments to Don!

EDIT: Did you notice how in #5, Don worked his last name into the very end of the line of weeds (far right below his signature). Very clever!
    Last edited by Patrick; 10-18-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: see for yourself

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    More info on the sale of the Desperation remarqued books.

They will not be available for purchase until all the remarques are completed. That way everyone has a chance to browse and decide. It is likely that they will be completed within a month or less. Don works fast, in my experience.

Selling price is $395 including domestic Priority Mail for all tdt.com member. International shipping, please add $23 to Canada and $40 to Europe.

In the meantime, please enjoy the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    How do you determine-if more than one member wants the same item, who is selected?
    Yes, 1st come, 1st served. A date and time will be selected when orders will be accepted.
    How do you determine-if more than one member wants the same item, who is selected?
    Yes, 1st come, 1st served. A date and time will be selected when orders will be accepted.
    Would you be so kind as to not start the sale at 5 or 6am Pacific time?
    Perhaps something just a bit later like noon Eastern-let everyone sleep in a bit before the fun begins.
    Heck no, definitely not a 6 am start time. I am in CA, so the time is going to be later than earlier. Btw, i just got scans for remarque no 3 and 4. Don is on a roll!.
    Suggestion: You might want to edit your first post in the thread to include a summary of the pertinent information above.

And thank you for starting at a time convenient for the West Coast!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

That's it for Collie Entragian, right?

looking forward to seeing the next subject matter? I wish there would be more than 19!

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    More info on the sale of the Desperation remarqued books.

They will not be available for purchase until all the remarques are completed. That way everyone has a chance to browse and decide. It is likely that they will be completed within a month or less. Don works fast, in my experience.

Selling price is $395 including domestic Priority Mail for all tdt.com member. International shipping, please add $23 to Canada and $40 to Europe.

In the meantime, please enjoy the show.
    Would you be so kind as to not start the sale at 5 or 6am Pacific time?
    Perhaps something just a bit later like noon Eastern-let everyone sleep in a bit before the fun begins.
    Heck no, definitely not a 6 am start time. I am in CA, so the time is going to be later than earlier. Btw, i just got scans for remarque no 3 and 4. Don is on a roll!.
    Suggestion: You might want to edit your first post in the thread to include a summary of the pertinent information above.

And thank you for starting at a time convenient for the West Coast!
    Will do Patrick. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am guessing this is the end of the group for the Collie Entragian, Rahfa. I am not told yet what the next scenes will be. I know there will be wolf and buzzard portrayed in the series. That would be cool to see.

My Mood
    Stressed

Patrick,

Also if you notice for all the finished remarques, all the art has Don's signature in watercolor or watercolor pencil as " Maitz", slightly hidden in the art. The book page also has Don's full name in graphite pencil with the number.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

These look fabulous! Tell Don they are GREAT!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick,

Also if you notice for all the finished remarques, all the art has Don's signature in watercolor or watercolor pencil as " Maitz", slightly hidden in the art. The book page also has Don's full name in graphite pencil with the number.
    Yes, I noticed that his name appears in each drawing, usually in the open and in blue. I thought this instance was rather clever.

So I guess it's about time I read DESPERATION.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ummmm...yes!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't be buying any of these remarques, but I must admit they are truly works of art.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I won't be buying any of THIS group...but I'm really excited to see what's coming next...Desperation was one of my favorite books (probably my most favorite of the last 20 years actually), so depending on his representation of some of the other characters, I think it might be worth the investment.

My Mood
    Stressed

I just received the 5 books today via FedEx overnight from Don. They all look just wonderful!.

A few things to report. I am pleasantly surprised to see how much larger the actual remarques are than even the large sized scans I posted. Keeping in mind that the book measures approx 7 X 11 and Don fills up the 2 page spread very well. There's details in the remarques that can't be seen from the scans. Remarque number 1 has more 'waviness' on the pages than the rest as it was his first try at the water color on that edition. Nothing serious, but to be noted.

I will post more images when I get them.

My Mood
    Stressed

Received 2 new scans from Don:

Remarque number 6. Image of the wolves lining up the street as the car drives past.

Remarque number 7. This is a very strong image. It is the scene where Collie/ Tak takes a good hard look at David in the cell where he is looking at God in David's mind and David hopes he will not discover he picked up a shot gun shell.

The 2 remarques has not been numbered yet.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love 'em both!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ummm . . . YEAH!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The detail is INCREDIBLE!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ain't it though.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Stressed

Something else I thought is fascinating; I had a conversation with Don in his technique in producing these remarques. His reply below:

As for rough sketches and the process to do these remarques, it varies. I usually get the idea, then I do a quick sketch into a sketchbook, then look for research to make the idea more visually solid. I redraw the sketch or the research ( car photos, desert landscapes, animal reference) into a line drawing on a separate sheet of paper Then I resize the line drawing to fit the book pages, by using an opaque projector, and in the process, redraw the sketch, refining as I go. The final drawing ends up on a sheet of tracing paper which I place over the pages in the book and I place a small piece of graphite transfer paper between the tracing paper drawing and the book page and go over all the pencil lines on my tracing paper and as I do, the transfer sheet allows graphite to transfer to the book page by the impression of the pencil tip through the tracing paper and the transfer paper. The resulting impression then gets drawn yet again on the book page surface where it goes through yet more refinements and I then add color.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Ummm . . . YEAH!
    I'm starting to get worried about spoilers reading this thread.

Something else I thought is fascinating; I had a conversation with Don in his technique in producing these remarques. His reply below:

As for rough sketches and the process to do these remarques, it varies. I usually get the idea, then I do a quick sketch into a sketchbook, then look for research to make the idea more visually solid. I redraw the sketch or the research ( car photos, desert landscapes, animal reference) into a line drawing on a separate sheet of paper Then I resize the line drawing to fit the book pages, by using an opaque projector, and in the process, redraw the sketch, refining as I go. The final drawing ends up on a sheet of tracing paper which I place over the pages in the book and I place a small piece of graphite transfer paper between the tracing paper drawing and the book page and go over all the pencil lines on my tracing paper and as I do, the transfer sheet allows graphite to transfer to the book page by the impression of the pencil tip through the tracing paper and the transfer paper. The resulting impression then gets drawn yet again on the book page surface where it goes through yet more refinements and I then add color.
    Wow, that's quite a process! Pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

You should have him write, number and sign some version of the above explanation on nice parchment-type paper, and have it serve as the provenance of each remarqued edition...basically, it would be his version of what Dameron did with those cool signed cards for DT III remarqued edition.

But I want to see other characters besides Collie! He's running out of numbers! Haha...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very impressive artwork.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast