Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Maitz, Artist

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Default Don Maitz, Artist

Dear friends and collectors,

I am very excited to announce that I will be offering for sale water color remarques by Don Maitz in the Grant’s Gift edition of Desperation. We have been talking for months about such a project. Don was busy at the time with a commission. But now, we are ready to commence.

The remarques will be limited to 19 numbered copies and will include a signed print by Don Maitz. They will be available for purchase when all the remarques are completed. Selling price is $395 including domestic Priority Mail for all tdt.com member. A date and time will be announced when orders will be taken. 1st come, 1st served. In the meantime, please enjoy the show.

Link to remarques:
    http://fsmdr.angelfire.com/desperation_remarque/

The sale date for the books and it's corresponding prelims will be the on the 26th of January. Orders will be accepted at 10:00 AM PST and not before. Please email your order to :

Email

The cost of the remarqued book with the signed prints are $395 including free Domestic Priority shipping for all tdt.com members. The prelims are $50. Shipping to canada is $28 and $35 to Europe. Please include in your email:

Your 1st, 2nd choise or even 3rd choise of your remarque and prelim if applicable
    Your tdt.com member ID
    Your Paypal address

Please do not send payment until I have sent a confirmation that the book is available. The books are allocated by first come, 1st served. Orders for the prelims only will be accepted on Feb 1st starting at 10:00 AM PST.

I hope I've covered everything. I will try to update here as soon as I know which of the remarques has been sold. My first priority is to get the orders down accurately. Thank you so much to everyone for your support. It’s truly a pleasure for me to be able to offer this project.
    Last edited by Fsmdr; 01-03-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Email removed as sale has ended

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

19?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow!

Who's going to be next?

I look forward to hearing more about this project.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think all these remarque projects are really cool I will probably never buy one (I would rather buy a framed piece of art) but I can see why many collectors love them and it's great to see all this stuff happen!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Juliana! This is great stuff. Look forward to it indeed!

And thanks for the piece of mail the other day.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome!!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I too am excited and can't wait to see what he produces!!!!

Anyone for Phil Hale? LOL We still have 1st edition DOTT!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Here is a example of a remarque that Don did in pencil:

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any ideas as to the price of these remarques?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Incredible!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Holy Smokes!! That's awesome!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice drawing.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

A couple of bits of trivia about Don Maitz:

He drew Captain Morgan for the rum label. He has been seen at fantasy conventions dressed up as his creation!

Some of the artwork he created for Desperation limited was stolen in transit from a fantasy convention and never made it to the publisher so replacement works had to be created.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow.

My Mood
    Stressed

More info on Don Maitz:

Two of the original oil paintings were part of a shipment stolen from a Fed Ex truck on the way to a World Fantasy Convention at hotel in Baltimore where the works were to be displayed and shown to the publisher. This is a convention King used to attend, his last one was in New haven, CT where Don was the artist guest of honor. Later, King had changed a plot element that required a change to one of the artworks - one that was stolen. Don had to repaint a small section - the head of one of the characters on a small piece of masonite to match the stolen work - then that small painting was inserted over the digital file made from the transparency film Don had shot of the stolen work. In Knowing Darkness, that painting is reproduced how it looked in his transparency - as it looks on the stolen original art.

Don's wife, Janny Wurts is a writer and an artist as well. She has written some 19 novels and some short stories. She is not only a novelist, she regularly paints her own cover jackets and she draws the maps and interior art as well.
    Last edited by Fsmdr; 01-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.

My Mood
    Stressed

Sam,

I have some idea on the pricing of the remarque. I will give more info on that and more as soon as I have the water color remarque to show.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting trivia - although not trivial if you're the one whose artwork was stolen.

Did you say, "water color remarque"?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

<--------------------Wonders how a water color piece will be done to avoid bleeding to adjacent pages, and how will it hold up for the next 50+ years? Not that we know how any other form of remarque will present decades from now.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I wondered that too...in the normal Desperation trade edition, the paper is just normal book paper - it won't absorb the water colors very well...ut I'm no painter...

I assume Don did a few tests and he's happy with it...interesting to see...

My Mood
    Stressed

Yes Patrick, water color. That's the plan.

The Grant's Gift edition of Desperation is a heavier stock paper that the regular trade edition. Don's issue is to not saturate the paper with too much water color to keep it's integrity and not causing the paper to warp. Trust me, I am MORE excited than anyone else to see it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If the paper warps, the best thing to do is press it between two flat heavy objects. Better yet, take the paper and press it between the pages of a book so that the paper is not scratched or torn by a harder substance while it flattens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast