Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie character of all time? ONLY TWO ADVANCE!

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ed Bloom (Big Fish)

2 5.56%
  • Neo (The Matrix trilogy)

8 22.22%
  • Mr. Pink (Reservoir Dogs)

4 11.11%
  • Vito Corleone (The Godfather)

10 27.78%
  • Clark Griswold (National Lampoon films)

3 8.33%
  • Raymond Babbitt (Rain Man)

3 8.33%
  • Red (The Shawshank Redemption)

6 16.67%
  • Police Chief Martin Brody (Jaws)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: BMCOAT - Round 2, Group C

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that's how a historian should do approach his job, but I suspect that's rarely the case of how it's actually done in practice.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I agree that's how a historian should do approach his job, but I suspect that's rarely the case of how it's actually done in practice.
    That's what I meant when I said we were talking about two different things. I was speaking about history as a category, and you - both - about its historical phenomenon, which is, quite obviously, mythology. At every given moment. That's what caused the bear's confusion - you couldn't have for all those years considered me such a moron as to deny such obvious things?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I couldn't, but I am somewhat easily confused.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

so yes, as i suspected, clarification shows agreement.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    so yes, as i suspected, clarification shows agreement.
    Between us - always. Has been noticed before.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

*dives in to join* *grouphug*
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Sorry, it goes very far beyond topic, but if you both read what I said unbiasedly (I mean, conceding that I may not be such a complete idiot as not to see that all history is always written subjectively, either on purpose or due the very nature of recording)...
    Exactly what I conceded to myself when you first posted, which is why I didn't drag this thread further afield myself. Good points, Brice and jayson, and Woofer (earlier). Still -- you the man, Jean.

Back to The Matrix: I don't think that the (repeatedly complained about here) supposed unoriginality of its "key" concept really does detract from the importance or overall quality of the films.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Back to The Matrix: I don't think that the (repeatedly complained about here) supposed unoriginality of its "key" concept really does detract from the importance or overall quality of the films.
    i agree. like i said, it's not the derivative nature of the concept, that's true of most things. i just found it poorly executed. i can handle derivative if it's done well.

Country
    Country Flag

Exactly what I conceded to myself when you first posted, which is why I didn't drag this thread further afield myself. Good points, Brice and jayson, and Woofer (earlier). Still -- you the man, Jean.

i agree. like i said, it's not the derivative nature of the concept, that's true of most things. i just found it poorly executed. i can handle derivative if it's done well.
    This.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

This.
    Yes. It's all about how well the tale is told or the play/movie/show executed. I, for example, wouldn't make a good comedian because I suck at telling jokes. I'm always too dry or off a bit on my timing.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I wouldn't say that "it's all" about the execution: Content certainly matters. I see the point you're all making, tho, I think.

However... I dunno; I would never say that The Matrix is the best movie of all time, but I do like it, alright.

When it comes to best characters, however, we can ultimately agree. I don't think that Neo was perfectly executed, but not too bad. I do think his conception was pretty good, personally. IMO, tho, he just never showed enough self-determination to warrant his advancement here towards our title. *shrug*

My Mood
    Worried

Ah, but good content in a story/book/movie/whatever that bores/angers/disgusts/whatever one to the point of not completing it has defeated itself by driving off the audience.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not if it is only one.

And my point: there's only so much that you can do with poor content, anyway.

My Mood
    Worried

Believe me, I know all about trying to make something good from inadequate input. I'm doing it right now.

Perhaps it's best if I just say nothing more because I am too tired of having to prove that what I'm doing is right to people who have never done it and that's probably making me a little bit pissy here. I apologize if that is the case. Fall also seems to ramp up my SAD, which sucks because I LOVE fall.

"Just do everything I tell you to do." MJK

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Eh. Nothing personal, Woofer. Still, do hope that your job is not all bad. Thanks for your participation here. All quite interesting.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Mary Jo Kopechne said that? I thought my wife coined that phrase. That unoriginal plagiarizing bitch!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Mary Jo Kopechne said that? I thought my wife coined that phrase. That unoriginal plagiarizing bitch!
    It's one of those Jungian archetypes. They all do that.

My Mood
    Worried

ROFL!

TOOL and Maynard James Keenan from the song Opiate - album of the same name.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh fine! Call me names! Its soooo easy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5