Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Why do I keep going back to Brown?

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default Why do I keep going back to Brown?

He seems so insignificant, I don't even remember a time when we see him again after the first several pages, but I cannot keep my thoughts away from Brown whenever I think of this story (which is often, let me tell you).

Anyone got any ideas as to what kind of role Brown played that was bigger than what it seemed in the pages of this fine book?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe you feel him this important because Roland opened his heart to him. However we know very well how closed Roland is. Roland must have felt something about him, too that he told the whole story about Tull. So yes, he was significant because he was Roland's first real listener after many years of silence.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I always felt he was important. And Zoltan too...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoilers for Wizard and Glass:

Spoiler:
    Well, Brown does appear again briefly. Or rather earlier from a chronological point of view. He is the first to throw the corn shucks at Susan.

Taking that into account it casts an interesting light (or shadow?) on the conversation between Roland and Brown. Here we've got a man confessing the massacre of a mob of people who were raised to kill him to a man who was a member of a mob of people who killed his one true love.

I'm not sure if Roland recognized Brown at the time... but it's interesting all the same.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    it has always bothered me that the picture on the front of the unrevised gunsliger is of roland with what appears to be his pet crow on his shoulder like a pirate, as if zoltan had oy's role

of course one might argue that in another
    Spoiler:
    time through the loop
    roland killed brown and took zoltan with him

but still, that illustration bugs me lol
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    it has always bothered me that the picture on the front of the unrevised gunsliger is of roland with what appears to be his pet crow on his shoulder like a pirate, as if zoltan had oy's role

Spoiler:
    time through the loop

I'm pretty sure the illustration must be of David. But that presents a problem, too. Roland was barely a young man in the time of David.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i think of brown as a plot device. he's there so roland has someone to talk to in order to get out his backstory to the reader.

John F. Kennedy pol is on a distinguished road pol's Avatar

I would agree that Brown is a very interesting character. He is definately a plot device to allow Roland to tell his backstory at the onset, however I always thought of him as more, particularly after reading about him again in W&G. He instigates Susan's death...granted the crowd was already there and Rhea/Cordelia wanted to give her her ticket...but it seems that the crowd needed a spark..and it was Brown (or the farmer with the lamb slaughterer's eyes) that initially did what no one else could (up to that point).

Roland thinks to himself that perhaps Brown is the man in black...this is an interesting line of thought as Flagg (or any one of his different personas, which Walter appears to be one) has often been at the root of mass violence (see the examples laid out in The Stand)...and this would have been just another example of what Flagg does best...although this time it would seem a bit personal.

It is also interesting that Brown also appears to be seen (along with Sheb and others) flying in the Glass at the end of W&G...

Regardless, I think that Brown is a very notable and unique character in this series.

Gunslinger Apprentice boq is on a distinguished road boq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's been some time since I read The Gunslinger.

************************ SPOILER ************************

I can't remember exactly "when" Roland loops back into the desert... somewhere between Tull and the Waystation. When "the man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed..." has Roland just left Brown's shack, or is he just about to arrive?
    In either case, this would make Brown either the last person Roland interacts with before he "enters" the loop, or the first person he meets "within" the loop.
    Not sure if this is significant, but I also find myself thinking of Brown more frequently than his role on the story would seem to justify.
    I like the comment above about how Brown could be the first person Roland opened his heart to in a long long time - quite significant in that a major part of Roland's quest is re-finding his humanity/emotion/love.
    Almost like Brown's some sort of "marker" at the loop "perimeter".

John F. Kennedy pol is on a distinguished road pol's Avatar

I believe that Roland encounters Brown just prior to entering the desert...therefore "the man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed..." should have occurred sometime after Roland left Brown. Therefore, I think if anything, Brown would be the last person that Roland encounters prior to starting the loop which begins at the marker "the man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed..."

Traveler Myrtok is on a distinguished road

Zoltan. He's the one that bugs me. I have some vague memory of some kind of video game or amusement machine with a mechanical talking bird on it, possibly even named Zoltan. Was that part of some old movie from the 70's or 80's? I just can't remember.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You are almost certainly thinking of Zoltar (not Zoltan) a fortune telling machine that changes Tom Hanks in the movie Big.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler Myrtok is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    You are almost certainly thinking of Zoltar (not Zoltan) a fortune telling machine that changes Tom Hanks in the movie Big.
    That's the one. Thanks!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My pleasure!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post

Spoiler:
    time through the loop

I seriously like that idea of Zoltan joining the loop!