Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to the 2009-2010 Oscars!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    truth is, IB deserves a lot of awards. it may not win any of them.
    Reminds me of a similiar situation last year ... with a certain ...cape-crusading movie ...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Jayson, that's pretty much my feelings as well. I think it deserves many awards, but I highly doubt it'll win any with the exception of Waltz. I even have doubts that it'll get nominations. Like I said before the Academy definitely has their favorites, and they don't like to stray from them.

And expanding on what Feev just mentioned, it's very hard for a film that's of a different genre to get a nomination. For example, action, horror, scifi, etc. Those types of films regardless of how good they are will not even be considered.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i liked forrest gump. crap it was not
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Forrest Gump too , but against Shawshank Redemption? Pulp Fiction? Come onnnnnn!

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

love that playstation commercial
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I admit that I'm with jayson on the Forrest Gump thing. I found it over-long and frankly ... very indulgent. It was like someone gave Zemeckis a new toy and he couldn't stop using it ( ie - putting Forrest in historical situations ). In the grand scheme of things... as far as best picture winners go, I don't think it even compares nor will it be much beyond a pop-culture hit. IMO.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam: I'll be awaiting my ticket to
    hollywood.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I admit that I'm with jayson on the Forrest Gump thing. I found it over-long and frankly ... very indulgent. It was like someone gave Zemeckis a new toy and he couldn't stop using it ( ie - putting Forrest in historical situations ). In the grand scheme of things... as far as best picture winners go, I don't think it even compares nor will it be much beyond a pop-culture hit. IMO.
    exactly, pam

i believe the formula was:

1 part historical settings gimmick
    1 part stereotypical nostalgic music
    1 part heavy-handed schmaltzy emotional scenes

for the record, i think the placing the character in historical settings gimmick worked significantly better for woody allen with zelig, but then again, we're talking about woody allen versus robert zemeckis.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That whole Forrest Gump scandal is why I'm generally cynical and disgruntled when it comes to institutions.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

If it was up to me (and probably a good thing it isn't) I would nominate these for best picture (so far), in no particular order:

1. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE
    2. TERMINATOR SALVATION
    3. MY SISTER'S KEEPER
    4. THE HURT LOCKER
    5. DISTRICT 9
    6. JULIE AND JULIA
    7. THE TIME TRAVELLER'S WIFE
    8. 9
    9. THE INVENTION OF LYING
    and 10. OBSERVE AND REPORT just because I got a kick out of it!

My Mood
    Gay

Even with the million open noms for Best Picture ... It'd still be a long shot for Terminator and Wolverine!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a huge Terminator fan , but there is no way TS even deserves to be nominated.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    That whole Forrest Gump scandal is why I'm generally cynical and disgruntled when it comes to institutions.
    The biggest example of how I lost faith in the Oscars is when Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for best picture.

That should never have happened.

Entertainment Weekly even went back and had the people who voted back then vote again 10 years later and Saving Private Ryan won in a landslide.

Most people are now of the opinion that Shakespeare in Love does not hold up over time like Saving Private Ryan.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I know Terminator and Wolverine don't have much of a chance, but I still loved them!
    Here are my nominations for worst pieces of crud in 2009 (so far).

1. LAST CHANCE HARVEY
    2. PAUL BLART MALL COP*
    3. MISS MARCH*
    4. CRANK HIGH VOLTAGE******!
    5. THE SOLOIST
    6. LAND OF THE LOST*
    7. THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123
    8. YEAR ONE******!
    9. TRANSFORMERS REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
    10. EASY VIRTUE
    11. AWAY WE GO
    12. GI JOE RISE OF THE COBRA
    13. THE GOODS LIVE HARD SELL HARD*******!
    14. GAMER*******!
    15. TAKING WOODSTOCK
    16. ALL ABOUT STEVE*
    17. THE INFORMANT
    18. PANDORUM
    19. COUPLE'S RETREAT
    20. THE FOURTH KIND

The ones with asterisks are godawful, words do not exist to explain how disgusting the ones with multiple asterisks are, the others are just bad or terribly dissapointing. Feel free to disagree!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like Up In The Air is a serious candidate for a Best Picture nod, as well as Precious and The Hurt Locker.

It's almost a certainty that UP will win Best Animated Feature.

There hasn't been too much noise in the Best Actor and Best Actress departments, and I am eager to see if Christoph Waltz will go home with the gold with his portrayal of a brilliant SS Officer in Inglourious Basterds.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    There hasn't been too much noise in the Best Actor and Best Actress departments, and I am eager to see if Christoph Waltz will go home with the gold with his portrayal of a brilliant SS Officer in Inglourious Basterds.
    I'm pretty sure he will. Do you know who else he could be up against?
    And what about Inglourious Basterds for best picture? Is that just wishful thinking on my part. I doubt it'll win, but that'd be my pick.

My Mood
    Gay

With 10 Best Picture Nominations this year ... just about everything is going to be up for Best Picture.

From what I've been reading, I think Waltz is a lock for a nomination ... but so far, seems like a Clooney year for Best Actor. We'll see, of course.

There's going to be 10 this year? Is that just for best picture or some of the other categories too?

What do you think of Sandra Bullock being nominated for best actress in BLIND SIDE? She made two really bad movies (THE PROPOSAL and ALL ABOUT STEVE), then comes back with this very good film. 1 out of 3 is better then nothing.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    There's going to be 10 this year? Is that just for best picture or some of the other categories too?
    Heather - It's new this year. 10 nominations for Best Picture. Only BP though, all other categories will be the usual 5. ( thank goodness - I think it's utterly stupid to expand the Best Picture category )

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    What do you think of Sandra Bullock being nominated for best actress in BLIND SIDE? She made two really bad movies (THE PROPOSAL and ALL ABOUT STEVE), then comes back with this very good film. 1 out of 3 is better then nothing.
    I think she's got a shot at a nomination, but no chance in hell of winning.

Here's the deal with Bullock - she's charming and lovable but not a heck of a great actress. Blind Side is NOT her Erin Brockovich moment.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Meh! I'd say with ten slots for best picture it totally devalues a nomination, imo. Five is plenty.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam - didn't the voting system change as well ? From what I've gathered, the films will now be judged based on a 10 point system, as opposed to receiving 1 vote per person.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually I believe theyre using the eenie meeny miney moe method.

If you rescue me

Why was it changed to 10? That makes no sense to me. I would have preferred they had just kept it at 5. Now there are movies that'll probably get a nomination that don't really deserve one.

My Mood
    Gay

For me, 10 best picture nominations is just rediculous. I can't see any real reason for it, except that it can be used for an advertising tool. Yup, it's all about the money.

Frankly, 10 nominations means more "popular" films might make the cut ... so if you see Twilight nominated - don't blame me!!

AMPAS has been noting a drop in audience year by year and this is just them trying to get more people to watch. Get a younger audience to tune in.

Patrick - Yes, the voting has changed and it's a point system, at least for Best Picture. Voters will rank the nominations and points will be applied.

Not so thrilled with that either, but I'm a purist and a bit of a movie snob myself.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast