Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you meet Roland? How many years ago? How old were you?

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I first discovered Roland back in '87 when I was 13.

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, after I read Cujo and decided I wanted to read more Stephen King stuff, my brother mentioned that his favorite was the Gunslinger (although he didn't mention the DT). Later, after reading Everything's Eventual, I was fascinated by the idea of a story being linked to another story, so I went to King's website and found out about the DT series. Then I saw that Gunslinger was part of it, so that was pretty much the deciding factor that I would read it.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

And did your brother read the whole series, Rag?

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think so. I believe he's read to book 4, but moved on to other things while waiting for book 5 to come out, and hasn't gotten around to reading the last 3 yet.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by B Rag View Post
    I don't think so. I believe he's read to book 4, but moved on to other things while waiting for book 5 to come out, and hasn't gotten around to reading the last 3 yet.

Traveler Dedereadssk1 is on a distinguished road Dedereadssk1's Avatar

Western NC, 75 miles mw of charlotte near hickory,nc

Default what brought me to THE DARK TOWER?

I was in my local BOOKRACK (western North Carolina) and there was a book i hadnt seen before-so, of course, i had to purchase it. And i was hooked. And honestly, i think the ending was GREAT!!!!! It goes along with the way he ends most of his books--let your imagination run wild-there could be another book-----or series. Have you read any of the comics yet?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dedereadssk1 View Post
    I was in my local BOOKRACK (western North Carolina) and there was a book i hadnt seen before-so, of course, i had to purchase it. And i was hooked. And honestly, i think the ending was GREAT!!!!! It goes along with the way he ends most of his books--let your imagination run wild-there could be another book-----or series. Have you read any of the comics yet?
    I think most of us have.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Don't worry, I'll make sure he gets around to it one of these days.

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Long-form adventure tales have always appealed to me.

I also love the "shared universe" school of storytelling, and as DT seemed to be the "hub" around which all of King's works revolved, I simply had to read it.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    I also love the "shared universe" school of storytelling, and as DT seemed to be the "hub" around which all of King's works revolved, I simply had to read it.
    Oh, yeah, ditto that.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    Oh, yeah, ditto that.

Double ditto that.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Don't worry, I'll make sure he gets around to it one of these days.
    I feel much better.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It was actually my first exposure to the idea and I really love it.

It made me want more stories from all the universes...like LotR
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I discovered Roland in 2003 when I was 19 (19! eep! )
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Summer of 2004. I had just turned 22.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

The year was 1991 and I was 19. If you've paid attention to similiar threads, you know know I was 19 when my first baby was born. Bonus points if you picked up on that.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I knew about Roland long before I personally met him. Both of my parents were reading the series. I remember my dad kept trying to give me The Gunslinger, telling me I would enjoy it. At age 16 I thought it was a western, and had to yearning to so much as crack the book open.

Then I found out Will was reading them. After listening to countless conversations between him and my parents about the books, I decided to give them a try. Guess I've been hooked ever since.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

I feel so young. I was just born in 1987.

I was, oh I'd say, seventeen when I met Roland. That was about three years ago when I read The Gunslinger.

I'm really glad I did pick the book up. I was in a very strange time in my life, and needed something to help me keep my mind and thoughts straight.
    I was already into the idea of multiple universes, so it tied right into my interests. I also recently got into westerns at the time, so Roland was like a god-send.

I remember TDT was the first group of books that caught my interest and held me in rapture like that at the time. Most of the other books I was reading at the time - crime novels my mother had lying around the house - just weren't holding my interest. They were more like ways to pass the time when I was bored. Then I picked up The Gunslinger, and I read it in two nights, which would've been one if I hadn't needed to do some things at the time. Then I went right from one book to the next, staying up all hours reading and reading and reading. I would fight off sleep to read these books.

I ended up completing the series in about two, maybe three months.
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

Traveler AJ is on a distinguished road AJ's Avatar

i was 12... yeah, that sounds about right. i didn't pick up 2 untill about 2 years later.

Along the Path of the Beam Fishonabike is on a distinguished road Fishonabike's Avatar

Hmmmm... I think it was 96 or 97. I had seen the DT books at stores but couldn't imagine an SK western. Plus, I hadn't been a big King reader yet. My friend and band mate had a shelf full of King and asked if I had read any of the DT series since he was super excited about the upcoming release of DT IV. After confessing I had not, he sent me home with the first three. It was a little tedious getting through The Gunslinger, but once I started in on DotT I was hooked. My biggest regret right now is not buying the hardcover Grant edition of WaG when it came out. Anyway, that puts me at about 25 or 26 when I first met Roland.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh good Lord

I read Fish's post immediately after AJ's, which starts

i was 12
    so I automatically read it as "I think I was 96 or 97"... and thought, "at last someone is older that I am"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i started the series somewhere between wastelands and wizard & glass, i'm not sure of the year but i think it wasn't very long after the wastelands came out since a friend who was a big fan had just bought that one.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember almost forgetting about them until I saw a friend with the book. I had to stare at it for a bit to remember.

But that was nothing compared to the wait between 3 and 4. Six years!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    oh good Lord

I read Fish's post immediately after AJ's, which starts

i was 12
    so I automatically read it as "I think I was 96 or 97"... and thought, "at last someone is older that I am"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast