Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Posting pictures, links etc.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The "Collections" folder in our Gallery

I have received a few questions on this so I thought I would throw out an explanation.

The Gallery (available in the toolbar) is so all of our members can host photos - like they would on imageshack or photobucket. It's an on-site way to do the same thing those sites do.

So anyone can use it. All photos loaded by members are under "Member Galleries" and can be searched by user name alphabetically.

As a special feature, there are "Special Content Galleries" that are being worked on.

One of the best (imo) is the Collections Special Content Gallery. In there, our collectors can upload their specific book collections into their own folder for ease of viewing by other members. This gallery is viewable to anyone who visits (guests) while the member galleries are only open to members.

Inside the Collections SCG are folders for each collector that has requested one so that they may upload their photos there for all to see.

This spot also drives our Collections Page for the site. All of the photos in the individual folders are randomized for this page. Its pretty cool.

The Collections SCG is obviously its own folder and has a "root" which can be loaded to. I am noticing a lot of pictures on the root but I believe that may be because folks are unclear on how to use it.

I am happy to create a folder for any collector that does not have one out there if you guys would like.

Remember: This is not only a way to view the collections but to also "host" them so that links can then be posted here on the site in any thread or forum that you would like.

Please post questions as they come up.

I've seen lots of members ask how to include "stuff" in their posts, so here are some tips. I remember being confused about this when I joined, too. I use Internet Explorer, by the way, so I'm not sure if these steps will work for other browsers or for Mac users. Mods, please feel free to correct or add anything!

This may look complicated, but it's really really simple! (I'm just a little too detailed sometimes!) Once you do it a few times, you'll be a pro.

First, just a comment: If you want to check out what your post will look like before you actually post it, click on the "Go Advanced" button. This will let you preview it before you actually post it by clicking the "Preview Post" button. You don't have to be in Advanced mode to add links, pics, etc. - only if you want to verify what it looks like before submitting.

Links to other websites or web pages
    1. The simplest way to add a link is to just type it in the text of your post (i.e., www.thedarktower.org), but you need to be sure to include the www at the beginning for the link to work.
    2. If you're on the web page you want to link, follow the steps below.
      • Click on the url in the address bar to highlight it in full. You can either right click and select copy OR use your keyboard by holding down the Ctrl key then hitting C.
      • Go to the message window where you're typing your post and click on the "Insert Link" icon (it's the little "globe" one highlighted below).
      • In the popup window, put your cursor over the url. You can either right click and select paste OR use your keyboard by holding down the Ctrl key then hitting V.
      • Click OK and you'll see the url in the post you're creating.
      • It will look like your url will be posted twice, but notice how the second one is highlighted. If you want the actual url verbiage to show in your post, you're done! Here's what your post would look like.
      • If, however, you'd like to replace the actual url verbiage with something else, while the text in your post is still highlighted, type what you want to actually post. What you type will replace the highlighted second url and will be the verbiage that shows up in your post.
      • Here's what this version of the same post would look like. Clicking on either version would take you to the same page.

Videos from YouTube
    Click the insert video icon and paste the YouTube video URL into the box and click ok.
    Pictures or non-TDT.com smilies
    You have a few options here depending on the picture source. First of all, you can't add a pic that's stored directly on your computer. You'll need to open an online account (i.e., www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com) or import them into your gallery here on TDT.com to include them in a post.
    1. If your picture is included on a web page (including those here in your TDT.com gallery), you'll need to find the url for the picture/image source. By that I mean that if it's on a web page to go to the source of the picture itself - not the web page that includes it.
      • You can find it by right clicking on the picture in the web page and clicking Properties.
      • Highlight the url from the picture Properties and copy it into a new window to confirm that it's just the pic. Some websites have restrictions and either redirect the window or won't allow you to access the source. This will also show you the true size of the picture itself.
      • Once confirmed, copy the url as outlined above in the Links section but instead of using the "Insert Link" button, use the "Insert Image" button (it's the landscape-looking one highlighted below.
      • You'll get a popup window just like when adding a link. Paste the url in the window and click OK. This adds image tags at the beginning and end of your url.
      • You can also just paste the url directly into your post and manually add the image tags at the beginning and end: [ IMG] at the beginning and [ /IMG] at the end (you'll need to remove the spaces).
    2. If you're using an image posted on Photobucket, they've already provided you with code that includes the image tags. Simply click on the IMG Code field, copy it, and paste it directly into your post. You'll get the same result as in the step above.
    3. One thing to remember about any pic you post is that if it's moved or renamed, it won't work any more. If you've created an online account with Photobucket or ImageShack or have uploaded pictures to your TDT.com gallery, don't move them or give them new names after you've posted them!
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 12-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Courtesy of George at C-Springs. Instructions on hosting images in the Gallery:

Instructions for Posting Photos to Gallery and then to Thread, with Screen Shots

1. Sign In.

2. Click Gallery

3. Click Upload Photos

4. Click Choose File

5. Navigate to the photo that you'd like to use, then either double-click on it or single click on it and then click Open

6. Verify you've chosen the correct file, then click Upload/Submit

7. It'll display "Processing Upload... Please Wait!"

8. If the file you've tried to load is not in the correct format (jpeg, jpg, png, gif), or if the file size is too large, you'll get a fault screen or white screen. If that happens, check your file extension or reduce the size of your file; once fixed, go back to step 4 and try again.

9. If successful, you'll see the photo you uploaded and then below it several links.

10. Right click on whichever one you'd like to use, then click Copy.

11. In whatever thread you're posting to, right click in the white box at bottom of screen and then click Paste. (No need to use the "Insert Image" icon when doing it this way.) When all done, click Post Quick Reply.

Last edited by Randall Flagg; 09-08-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

So do I understand correctly that the Collections Gallery is members only? Because I could see people maybe not wanting to advertise whose house to break into.

I also think it's totally cool to have all that in one place.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i wish i knew abotu this sooner. this will make it a lot easier to post cards.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    So do I understand correctly that the Collections Gallery is members only? Because I could see people maybe not wanting to advertise whose house to break into.

I also think it's totally cool to have all that in one place.
    The "Special Content Galleries" are viewable to guests who visit the page. That includes the Collections folder.

If collectors would like their pictures to be secure, they need to post them in the members gallery as that can only be seen by members.

(but I still wouldn't call that real secure, we have over 2500 members)

The best way if a person is worried about it is to not post them at all.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. I just wanted to make sure I understood that correctly.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think most of the collectors here are posting their addresses anyway.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wanted to bump this thread.
    Collectors here can host all of their book images here on the site if desired. No need to use photobucket imageshak etc.
    http://www.thedarktower.org/collections

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Our Gallery is really a cool thing. Acts like a hosting site right here in our own back yard.

The page linked above draws on the images in that folder and randomly displays them so it's always filled with very fun collectibles.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Wanted to bump this thread.
    Collectors here can host all of their book images here on the site if desired. No need to use photobucket imageshak etc.
    http://www.thedarktower.org/collections
    I keep telling myself one of these days I'm going to do this. lol Hopefully I'll get it up soon.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have received a few questions on this so I thought I would throw out an explanation.

The Gallery (available in the toolbar) is so all of our members can host photos - like they would on imageshack or photobucket. It's an on-site way to do the same thing those sites do.

So anyone can use it. All photos loaded by members are under "Member Galleries" and can be searched by user name alphabetically.

As a special feature, there are "Special Content Galleries" that are being worked on.

One of the best (imo) is the Collections Special Content Gallery. In there, our collectors can upload their specific book collections into their own folder for ease of viewing by other members. This gallery is viewable to anyone who visits (guests) while the member galleries are only open to members.

Inside the Collections SCG are folders for each collector that has requested one so that they may upload their photos there for all to see.

This spot also drives our Collections Page for the site. All of the photos in the individual folders are randomized for this page. Its pretty cool.

The Collections SCG is obviously its own folder and has a "root" which can be loaded to. I am noticing a lot of pictures on the root but I believe that may be because folks are unclear on how to use it.

I am happy to create a folder for any collector that does not have one out there if you guys would like.

Remember: This is not only a way to view the collections but to also "host" them so that links can then be posted here on the site in any thread or forum that you would like.

Please post questions as they come up.

I too can assist in creating a Collector thread for an individual. The pics will load quicker for members, and one will have a hosting site free of charge and hassle.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Posting pictures, links etc.

Gretchen did a nice job explaining how to post pictures, links, videos etc.
    How to: Add info in posts (links, pics, videos, etc.)
    When reading posts, it is much nicer to simply see a picture rather than have to click on a thumbnail of the image.
    Please host pictures rather than an attach thumbnails.
    If you have any additional questions please ask.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jerome - I'd forgotten all about that post!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn Gretchen, that is a great post! Nice job!

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default How do I put pics up here?

Sorry I had no idea where to put this.

Can someone please explain to me how to post pics in my posts here?

I went to the FAQ and no help there, don't see a place to make a album in my profile, when I do a new/reply post don't see the place to add an attachment. I am so lost, please help.

Have gone to flicker but still can't seem to figure out how to use it to put a pic in my posts. *sigh*

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Hello Christine, I'll try to answer this.
    Go to the home page, and look on the left hand side
    of the page, it will be with the gallery. Look there is a
    upload photos thingy, see it? You can host all the photo's
    you want here, or at another site like photobucket etc...
    if you just want to add pics from a url click the little yellow
    box above in the quick reply box (its sort of in the center-
    and looks like it is a pic of mountains) from there you can
    see that a permission box pops up that will accept ther url.
    I hope my explaination helps you. I am the last person to
    ask about these things...
    There is a how to thread somewhere around called
    I think, ask the computer guy anything.
    with general q& a's that answer all kinds of questions
    Good luck with your project, and happy posting!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you so much. That is what I was looking for.

Country
    Country Flag

ok now to try it out...

Woo hoo it worked

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Like riding a bike. Once you do it, it never goes away.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    Sorry I had no idea where to put this.

Can someone please explain to me how to post pics in my posts here?

I went to the FAQ and no help there, don't see a place to make a album in my profile, when I do a new/reply post don't see the place to add an attachment. I am so lost, please help.

Have gone to flicker but still can't seem to figure out how to use it to put a pic in my posts. *sigh*
    For those of you that wonder, I posted this as a new thread and RF was kind enough to move it for me. I am not quite as dense as this would suggest if you didn't know that.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No one thinks you're dense, Christine, but nice disclaimer.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Guys, wouldn't it be easier to make this thread a sticky?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Or move it into the "How to" section?

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We try to avoid sticking too many items as it is felt it clutters the top of the board.
    Putting the thread in the Collecting Tutorials is a good thought that will be taken under consideration.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The post Jerome linked in the first post on this thread is already in the "How To" section, but maybe it gets lost if there aren't posts. Since the directors don't want to sticky it, maybe one of us just needs to go in and bump it once in a while.

ETA: Looks like there's already a sticky on it but maybe because it's in The Dogan instead of Calvin's Corner??

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast