Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite book series besides DT?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Cry your pardon Jean maybe in this post of yours (#38 here) you should use a spoiler about the ending of LOTR.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will now sweetheart
    (another three bears salute!)
    (wish I had kissing bear smilies... for my Nikolett)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks a lot.

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

Wow... so many posts in just two short days! And so many good series! I'll have a field day writing all of them down.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, we are a bunch of readers, we are.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fall of Gilead View Post
    The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
    Good shout! I particularly love books featuring Esme Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg - the Tiffany Aching books were excellent too.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandragoran View Post
    Wow... so many posts in just two short days! And so many good series! I'll have a field day writing all of them down.
    good thread = many posts

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

Hmm... I need to add a few more series. My little sister managed to force me into reading a few books she likes, and The Enchanted Forest isn't a bad children's series, though adult is much better. The Wheel of Time is another one, and the Camulod Chronicles, for those of us who love stories of arthur, it is how the wizard Merlin grew up and things that happened to create excalibur and the evolution of Britain.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That last one sounds really interesting, I may have to check that out.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read The Dark is Rising series? The first movie , which I believe is based on the 2nd book, is due out soon, and I wanted to look into the books before I see the movie(s).

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

I haven't finished it yet, but the Night Watch trilogy has been pretty good so far.

russian vampires and dark wizards and vortexes and blood and people that change into animals. neat stuff. the movie was good too, but the book is already better, as they almost always are.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    I haven't finished it yet, but the Night Watch trilogy has been pretty good so far.

russian vampires and dark wizards and vortexes and blood and people that change into animals. neat stuff. the movie was good too, but the book is already better, as they almost always are.

I saw a trailer for the second movie yesterday. It made me happy in the pants.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I can't believe noone else has said Sword of Truth. Everyone go out immediately and pick up Wizard's First Rule. You won't regret it. I tried to convince Erin to read it for a long time, because she always said she didn't like fantasy. I told her that if she read this one it would get her into fantasy. I finally went out and bought a copy of Wizard's First Rule and handed it to her so she would read it. She then read the next 10 books almost straight through, I think. It is really an amazing series. Terry Goodkind really has a way with making you care about teh characters.
    For real, The Sword of Truth books are freaking awesome. And like Chris said, I read them all back to back without stopping and never got bored. And these are all 500-700+ paged books.

Really, really good stuff. The final book comes out November 13!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Has anyone read The Dark is Rising series? The first movie , which I believe is based on the 2nd book, is due out soon, and I wanted to look into the books before I see the movie(s).
    Blimey!! Blast from the past!! I read those books when I was about 10/11...really good, a little dated when I reread them years later - but i think things you loved in childhood should often be left there for fear of spoiling them A movie though?! ...why do they keep doing that? Is it English or American FP?

no shit? i saw the movie with bootleg subtitles and it was really hard to follow. i'm interested in catching it again in hopes that it makes more sense this time around.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post

no shit? i saw the movie with bootleg subtitles and it was really hard to follow. i'm interested in catching it again in hopes that it makes more sense this time around.

There's an american release now that is actually very well dubbed and much easier to follow.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

awesome! is it in theaters or on dvd?

the chalk of destiny. it just sounds cool.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Blimey!! Blast from the past!! I read those books when I was about 10/11...really good, a little dated when I reread them years later - but i think things you loved in childhood should often be left there for fear of spoiling them A movie though?! ...why do they keep doing that? Is it English or American FP?
    What are they about, exactly? In the previews it seems that the main character has the power of telekinesis, and he even lit a bunch of candles by simply looking at them.

And one of the old guys in the preview was wearing a top-derby hat, so I'm assuming it's British...aren't they all?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Its by a British author, Susan someone I think, its a trilogy - the books are boxed up somewhere. Its about this family (just the kids really) that have to battle some powers of darkness aided by their Uncle Merry who sounds suspiciously like Merlin. Its kinda like Lord of the Rings meets the Famous Five

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I love the Dark Is Rising Sequence as its called for some reason. Especially The Grey King, Silver On The Tree and The Dark Is Rising. I LOVE those books. I'm glad someone mentioned them.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't mention it. I saw the boxed set on amazaaan.caaaam for about $20 something USD, seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say one of my favorites are the "Ender Wiggins" books. Pretty profound with a plethora of things to make you rethink what you know.

They are

Ender's Game
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide

There are others but these three are the main story.
    Last edited by Harrald; 09-26-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Grammer

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Harrald, have you read the shadow series? The first book, Ender's Shadow (I think) is Ender's Game from a different point of view, Bean. I loved those books. I love, love, love Bean.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Bean is the shiznit. I need to pick up Shadow of The Giant, it's the only Bean book I haven't read yet.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Oh! You have got to read it. Now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast