Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite book series besides DT?

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Pratchett's Discworld

Traveler Xanthus is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I am amazed the the person who started this didnt mention his own namesake. I read the first few pages of this and decided to just post.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan !! Gotta love it !!

also of course LotR

I did enjoy the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind, but it got a little repetative after the first 5 books, same plot, new scenery.

Of course both Vampires and Witchs by Anne Rice (I am hoping the new Angel series is good, am getting ready to read the first installment)

I liked the Thomas Covenant series.

Piers Anthony's Xanth series was fun (I read the first 20 or so books and got a littlle sidetracked). Also like the Incarnations of Immortality he did, great stuff.

I loved Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia of course, as well as the Twilight Saga.

Jim Butchers the Dresden Files is fun too.

Mark Anthonys The Last Rune series was great !!

Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga.

Boy there are just so many good series out there.

Traveler Devorah is on a distinguished road

Default Favorite Non-Dark Tower Series

The Master's of Rome - Colleen McCullough

Harry Potter - JK Rawlings

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lloyd alexander - chronicles of prydain

terry brooks - kingdom for sale

i read both of those before i was grown ....i guess they are kids books but ...i still love them and will read them again ........as soon as im done with this dome clustermug

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Along the Path of the Beam glm is on a distinguished road

The Pine Deep Trilogy - Jonathan Maberry

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Harry Potter - Rowling
    Event Group Series - Golemon
    Odd Series - Koontz
    Necroscope Series - Lumley
    Meg Series - Alten

Life is a garden...dig it!

Along the Path of the Beam Claude Clay will become famous soon enough Claude Clay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

still a good thread--

some great reads here
    make a fire for a man and you warm him for the nite
    light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life

Traveler Sai Hurin is on a distinguished road Sai Hurin's Avatar

DragonLance anyone? maybe not but it's still my favorite

Along the Path of the Beam dubrosa22 is on a distinguished road dubrosa22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The other best book series for me is Richard Stark's PARKER series!

Blazing writing with amazing characters and the most cold criminal brain ever imagined.

RIP Donald Westlake

http://violentworldofparker.com/

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone mention Andrzej Sapkowski and his books from "The Witcher" series? It might be that not all of them have been translated to English yet, but they will be worth a look once they are - it's fantasy with a touch of Slavic mythology.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My two favorite series are Dragonlance (but I only liked the Weis and Hickman written stories) and The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Okay so I have to get in on this...definitely my faves other than TDT (to which there is no comparison) are:
    Harry Potter
    A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (awesomeness)
    and *a little ashamed of this one* Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bahahaaaa! Sookie is nothing to be ashamed of!

Welcome back, you haven't been here in aaaages!

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Bahahaaaa! Sookie is nothing to be ashamed of!

Welcome back, you haven't been here in aaaages!
    I know, it's just that those books are so girly and romance-novel-y, which is not at all what I usually like to read.

And thankee sai, it has been a long time, and I'm glad to be back. Falling back into the palaver is kinda hard though, all these threads are so long! I'll never be able to read them all to the newest posts, so I'm just jumping in wherever.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I vote you jump into the fottergraphs thread immediately! I used to love your photos

I know what you mean about Sookie. I avoided them for the longest time and ended up reading one whilst bored at my sister's house. It's everything I hate in a book and yet...I can't get enough of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I vote you jump into the fottergraphs thread immediately! I used to love your photos

I know what you mean about Sookie. I avoided them for the longest time and ended up reading one whilst bored at my sister's house. It's everything I hate in a book and yet...I can't get enough of them!
    Thankee! Mayhap I'll take a gander in there...I haven't changed much but boy is my daughter a cutie pie. I think everyone should see a fottergraf or two of her for sure.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have lots...
    LOTR (and all companion novels)
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    The Dresden Files
    The Mistborn Series - Brandon Sanderson
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    The Legend of Drizzt - R.A. Salvatore
    The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay
    The King Raven Trilogy and The Song of Albion - Stephen Lawhead

I have a tendency to get involved in series rather than standalone books, it seems. It's not on purpose, but it does tend to get a bit expensive...

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine are currently:

The Stephanie Plum series
    The Dresden Files
    The Felix Castor series

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisa - are you a fan of the Ender's Game series ?

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pond View Post
    I have read some of the Drizzt series. I love them, the idea of a dark elf is very interesting to me. What do you think of the series Pond?

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    I have read some of the Drizzt series. I love them, the idea of a dark elf is very interesting to me. What do you think of the series Pond?

I really like them, personally! How far are you along in the series? The nice part about the series, for me, is that it really examines a lot of ethical and moral issues, without making it heavy or unenjoyable. For example, just look at the "Drizzt journals" between each sections of the book. Those are my favorite parts of those books.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have lots...
    LOTR (and all companion novels)
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    The Dresden Files
    The Mistborn Series - Brandon Sanderson
    The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay
    The King Raven Trilogy and The Song of Albion - Stephen Lawhead

I have a tendency to get involved in series rather than standalone books, it seems. It's not on purpose, but it does tend to get a bit expensive...
    Awhile back I had someone buy me the three books in the Fionavar Tapestry, but I haven't read them yet. I need to get on that.

I also prefer series to stand alone books, but that's just because I like getting attached to characters and reading more and more about them.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I think that The Dresden Files is probably my favorite series as of late. It changes a lot.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dune series through God Emperor of Dune
    Harry Potter
    Percy Jackson (I've been reading the Greek Myths since I was 8)
    The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony

And I think I'll stop there.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post

I really like them, personally! How far are you along in the series? The nice part about the series, for me, is that it really examines a lot of ethical and moral issues, without making it heavy or unenjoyable. For example, just look at the "Drizzt journals" between each sections of the book. Those are my favorite parts of those books.
    I have made it to the Crystal Shard. I would like to continue to read all of them; however, there are a lot of things I wish to do and only so much time to do them in. I have to say I was very upset with what happened to Drizzt's birth father, and I am really interested in actually going back to his Homeland... I just found the plot lines there to be better than the ones where he is on the surface... then again, there are still at least six books I haven't read yet. One thing that bothers me about the way it is written is how it always goes back to his 'bleeding heart' and him questioning how other people are. I kind of feel, I know they are already, you don't have to describe their immorality for the tenth time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast