Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZGDK View Post
    Also Insomnia was slow for the first 100-150 pages, but it was just so well written and I loved the characters. The other 500-600+ pages more than make up for the slow start.
    Personally, I'd switch that up a bit. It was slow for the first 500-600 pages and the last 100-150 pages were good. Not worth the time it took to read it.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGDK View Post
    Also Insomnia was slow for the first 100-150 pages, but it was just so well written and I loved the characters. The other 500-600+ pages more than make up for the slow start.
    Personally, I'd switch that up a bit. It was slow for the first 500-600 pages and the last 100-150 pages were good. Not worth the time it took to read it.
    Speak for yourselves, I saw no slowness anywhere.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damnit, now I want to read Insomnia to see what all the fuss is about, but I really don't want to start any other book until I finish the Harry Potter series and am caught up with A Song of Ice and Fire!

Country
    Country Flag

You should read it feve! But definitely finish HP first!

Gunslinger Apprentice ZGDK is on a distinguished road ZGDK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With Insomnia the beginning is slow, but not boring. It's all characters development and getting us acquanted with Ralph and his friends. Once he starts seeing the auras and the Bald Doctors it gets interesting. A very thought provoking book too.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Did you finish IT feev?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Did you finish IT feev?
    No, not yet. I'm trying to advance evenly between IT, Chamber of Secrets, A Clash of Kings, and the copious amounts of graphic novels that I have.

Well, it certainly looks like your reading slump is over. Good for you man.

Country
    Country Flag

But...so far you wouldn't consider IT to be on your King Worst List...would you, feve?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I saw it as a companion piece to Dolores Claiborne. One of his best psychological novels, IMO, which I think gets short shrift. I see it as a testament to self-reliance and the resiliency of someone's will.
    wait, which was one of his best psychological novels? DC or GG? :confusedturtle:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    Oh, and I liked Cell, too. Call me the weirdo.
    weirdo.
    finally, someone agrees with me about her.

oh, and Ves'Ka Gan? you are *so* very wrong about cell (and so many, many other things) but it's okay you're still my ka-sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have an oppritunity to listen to Lisey's Story (its suddenly in the library on CD)--I'm really looking forward to doing the second time.
    let me know what you think of that would you matt? i thought about it but i'm not sure i can take her voice for that long. it is mare winningham right?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    king novels i couldn't finish
    Christine
    Misery
    Rose Madder
    Lisey's Story
    rose madder, razz? want to give that there book one more read then rethink your think there pally?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

But...so far you wouldn't consider IT to be on your King Worst List...would you, feve?
    No...however I really don't like how King unnecessarily drags out some parts to the point where it becomes tedious. He has to describe the scent in the air, and then the trees in the characters immediate surroundings, and then the ants that inhabit that tree, and the colony which the ants report to....getting the picture? It's like - okay dude, we get it.

But anyway, I'm only 260 pages in - I have a ways to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    No...however I really don't like how King unnecessarily drags out some parts to the point where it becomes tedious. He has to describe the scent in the air, and then the trees in the characters immediate surroundings, and then the ants that inhabit that tree, and the colony which the ants report to....getting the picture? It's like - okay dude, we get it.

But anyway, I'm only 260 pages in - I have a ways to go yet.
    In the Stand, he describes all of the relatives of the king and queen ant as well as the prospects for the prince and princess ants. In the unabridged version, he also points out which shows the queen ant likes to Tivo on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I saw it as a companion piece to Dolores Claiborne. One of his best psychological novels, IMO, which I think gets short shrift. I see it as a testament to self-reliance and the resiliency of someone's will.
    wait, which was one of his best psychological novels? DC or GG? :confusedturtle:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    Oh, and I liked Cell, too. Call me the weirdo.
    weirdo.
    finally, someone agrees with me about her.

oh, and Ves'Ka Gan? you are *so* very wrong about cell (and so many, many other things) but it's okay you're still my ka-sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have an oppritunity to listen to Lisey's Story (its suddenly in the library on CD)--I'm really looking forward to doing the second time.
    let me know what you think of that would you matt? i thought about it but i'm not sure i can take her voice for that long. it is mare winningham right?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    king novels i couldn't finish
    Christine
    Misery
    Rose Madder
    Lisey's Story
    rose madder, razz? want to give that there book one more read then rethink your think there pally?
    i can try, but no promise. it may be like dreamcatcher, and i'll be able to get into it this time.

Gunslinger Apprentice Shamey is on a distinguished road Shamey's Avatar

Gerald's Game was eh for me.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I generally HATE the overuse of "descriptive" narration.

Thus, I HATE Thoreau. SORRY!

That said, IT is T E D I O U S, IMHO. I'll be rereading in a month or so, so we'll see if my opinion improves.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I generally HATE the overuse of "descriptive" narration.

Thus, I HATE Thoreau. SORRY!

That said, IT is T E D I O U S, IMHO. I'll be rereading in a month or so, so we'll see if my opinion improves.

wait, king wrote thoreau?

as for the ants, just wait until they start destroying the town. then you'll be glad for all that description. you'll see.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

IT seriously bored the crap out of me. I don't think it can improve much with a reread.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

IT seriously bored the crap out of me. I don't think it can improve much with a reread.
    This is my take on the Stand, but IT worked for me. I read it when I was 13 or so, and then again last year at 25. I still enjoyed and probably appreciated more in certain aspects.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Aw, I liked it - but it was my first King book so I'm sentimental about it
    I'm sentimental about it too. It wasn't my first King book, but I read it early on and still love it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If the rest of the book is like this, it's going to take me a looooong time to get through it. I hope it doesn't become tedious to the point where I feel that I can't finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    If the rest of the book is like this, it's going to take me a looooong time to get through it. I hope it doesn't become tedious to the point where I feel that I can't finish it.
    Those ants get more interesting and cosmologically significant.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Do they start watching DirecTv isntead of Tivo?

Like I mentioned above - I still have a ways to go yet, but we'll see...

The prince ant does, because he's trying to get in bed with one of the neighboring colonial princesses. He's basically trying to impress her, but I don't want to give anything else away. The rest of the ants in the colony are content with Tivo and have recorded every episode of Seinfield in syndication, the irony being that the book becomes a book about nothing which contains ants that watch a show about nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast