Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, Monte has an iron heart.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Sadly...I see no hope for Thinner, Tommyknockers and Christine though.
    Not read Thinner yet. What was it about Tommyknockers you didn't like?
    And Christine You're doing it on purpose aren't you! Just because I said I'd goto the mall with Ryan...

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those three books are the few King books I've only read one time, which means that wasn't too captivated by the story enough to bring me back.
    I remember Tommyknockers just draggin on and on and I don't remember particularly liking King's view/interpretation of aliens.
    Christine wasn't horrible but it was pretty boring, imo. I just wanted to be done with it and move on to his next book.

I say that there is hope for Insomnia because that one I kept trying to get through...it took me 4 tries to finish. Something about it made me want to finish it. I was just really disappointed once I did get through it.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not read tommyknockers. I have the movie though. The movie is alright. But not great. Christine I like very much. Book and movie

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

the first time i read the tommyknockers i was struggling to get through it. i remember thinking "really? he's writing about this? wtf?" but i reread it this year and really liked it.

i especially liked gard. and the poem he wrote for bobbi sticks in my mind even now. and regardless of what everyone else thinks, that was jack sawyer he meet on the pier. so there.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In 2 weeks i had read 65 pages of Geralds Game, I returned it to the library sayin, "This book sucks" lol only book of my life I have ever gave up. I also didnt like The Stand, but once I read all SK books, I will deff. reread. But thats not for a very long long long time!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I guess I'm one of the few that liked Gerald's Game. Not my all-time favorite of his, but far from being his worst. It's all about someone fighting the demons within their own head, and I really enjoyed that. And I know I've said this many times before, but it has the scariest moment ever in a King story.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I said before that I would like to re-read Insomnia since I've read the DT, to see if I appreciate it more. It's not that I hated it, but it is the one SK book I remember "forcing" myself to finish.
    I read later on that SK said it was one of his few stories that actually had a plot and he somewhat knew how it would end when he began it. Maybe that had something to do with my boredom..(shrugs)

bangoskank1

The Tommknockers...omg it was soooooooo hard to get thru The Tommyknockers....I re read every one of his books....I just lied...I will never re read The Tommyknockers....

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I said before that I would like to re-read Insomnia since I've read the DT, to see if I appreciate it more. It's not that I hated it, but it is the one SK book I remember "forcing" myself to finish.
    I read later on that SK said it was one of his few stories that actually had a plot and he somewhat knew how it would end when he began it. Maybe that had something to do with my boredom..(shrugs)
    I think the plot thing is one of the reasons that it worked for me. Sometimes his foreshadowing is not so subtle and think that may happen because he writes the ending and then has to go back and add phrases like: "I wish I would have gotten a better view, it was the last time I saw her alive." I dunno.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few that liked Gerald's Game.
    I absolutely love it. Certainly not my top five, maybe not even ten, but definitely one of those loved.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I hated the first half, but afterwards it got better.

Insmonia now, Whoohee! love love love.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'm one of the few that liked Gerald's Game. Not my all-time favorite of his, but far from being his worst. It's all about someone fighting the demons within their own head, and I really enjoyed that. And I know I've said this many times before, but it has the scariest moment ever in a King story.
    I love Gerald's Game. It's one of my favorite psychological novels, and I think it marks the point where King started to look inward instead of creating external forces of horror for his protagonists to fight against. I think at this point in his career that's devolved into a dreary, repetitive narcissism and self-infatuation, but Gerald's Game is brilliant.

Gunslinger Apprentice ZGDK is on a distinguished road ZGDK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I love Gerald's Game. It's one of my favorite psychological novels, and I think it marks the point where King started to look inward instead of creating external forces of horror for his protagonists to fight against. I think at this point in his career that's devolved into a dreary, repetitive narcissism and self-infatuation, but Gerald's Game is brilliant.
    What do you mean? I think King was at his peak in the post Waste Lands era.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not referring to the climax and conclusion of The Dark Tower . I meant all of the major works that succeeded the final, eponymous volume. He's written some great short stories since TDT VII, but in terms of completing a compelling novel it has been a bit of a dry hole.

Gunslinger Apprentice ZGDK is on a distinguished road ZGDK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree. I read Duma Key and it felt disjointed. The supernatural elements felt botched. If the novel had taken a more Insomnia-like direction with the supernatural it would have been MUCH, MUCH better.

Along the Path of the Beam nordh is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    I loved Gerald's Game as well. I think it's the most horrific book he's written, at least of those I've read and it's not many that I haven't read nowadays. I really disliked the second part of the book myself, but the fact that it's there means this first part is even more scary IMO.
    Spoiler:
    The fact that it's not all brain monsters, but an actual real person in that room, and the twisted dementia that was scientifically explained made it so much worse than a make believe monster.

I'm one of those guys that when I see things like the baby cutting through the heel of the old man in Pet Sematary (I've only seen the movie), I actually feel the pain and start twisting my feet at it. So when I read about pulling those cuffs off and dragging the skins with it I had a really hard time holding up the book. It was so gruesome.

It's definitely not a book I'm gonna try and get my girlfriend to read, she'll never do anything kinky with me again ^^

Along the Path of the Beam Bumbler is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I have not read all of the Collections of shorts to completion. But as far as novels go, there are a few that I haven't read in years... I will just put down the few that I was unable to read. I have tried on a number of occasions, but never could get into Dolores Claiborne, or The Regulators. Even tho Regs has strong connections... couldn't do it. And for some reason, I don't think I have ever gotten around to reading Cycle of the Werewolf. Should I pick it up? Oh, And I have yet to read anything post DTVII. After all the years of reading and re-reading the books for any mention of the tower... well, I have kinda taken a break from SK other than to dip into old favs.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
    I don't think I have ever gotten around to reading Cycle of the Werewolf. Should I pick it up?
    Yes. It's a very quick read and I like the artwork for that particular little story.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, what Monte said
    I'm not a fan of Wrightson's DT artwork, but the illustrations in CotW are stunning.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Another Gerald's Game lover here. I thought it was great and the idea that part of it was the immediate experience and part of it was what happened to her was very real to me.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Along the Path of the Beam Bumbler is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Good deal guys. I will pick it up and let y'all know what I think

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
    I don't think I have ever gotten around to reading Cycle of the Werewolf. Should I pick it up?
    Definitely.

Bernie Wrightson usually sucks, but that's a great book. They actually have it as part of the suggested reading for YA down at my local branch of the BPL. I smiled when I saw that.

John F. Kennedy goncho is on a distinguished road goncho's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I havenīt read everything SKīs written, but my least favortie so far has to be Tommyknockers...I just couldnīt get trough it, I left the book and started again like 3 times, until I finished it just because I donīt like leaving books in the middle...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast