Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast

Thread: King's worst novel?

Along the Path of the Beam blaine is on a distinguished road

liseys story and duma key, did'nt make it more than halfway through either, every other boo by king i have read at least twice, some many many more times

Along the Path of the Beam bartonthegreat is on a distinguished road bartonthegreat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bag of Bones
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Agreed!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lextune and blaine: can you please post here in Duma Key thread and explain why you don't like it?

(the three of us agree on Lisey's Story, though. It's outstandingly boring.)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice lisaki is on a distinguished road lisaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Half
    HATED it! Mostly because of the ending...
    I'd love it probably if it was by another writer but with Stephen King I want perfection.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

Lisey's story. Thank God I only checked that out from the library and didn't pay actual money for it.

But Duma Key ... wow. I loved that one. Checked that one out and then bought it 'cause it was so good.

Traveler soapmaker19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I would say Lisey's Story would be on the short list. The "slow" part at the beginning, aka character development, was too drawn out and annoying. I though he laid it on awfully thick with the cutesy crap her and the husband said to each other, etc. I nearly didn't make it through because I kept thinking, enough with the @#%& baby talk and tell a story already.

Also, I literally threw the book across the room in disgust when I reached what I call
    Spoiler:
    the can opener scene.

I did finish the book, but don't see myself rereading it. Ever.

Traveler murlodin is on a distinguished road murlodin's Avatar

Lisey's Story.

That's it, I've read a lot of SK but this one in particular didn't fits in my head. My sis gave it to me, read like twenty pages, then stopped and tossed it away. Sorry, Steve, bad bad intro.

Insomnia at first seemed awfully boring, but I got through all of it, and now that I've finished DT, I realize that it was a very important story, say true.

Ta.

Traveler soapmaker19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I agree on Insomnia. Very slow start, which for some reason didn't bother me on this one. I first read it in high school and was somehow totally sucked in to the character development of Ralph. It makes my top 5 for sure.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i loved liseys story **puts on big hat and waits for shouting to start**

for me i love nearly all of Sk books, and esp seem to love the ones that everyone else seems to hate.
    liseys story
    insomnia
    tommyknockers etc etc etc

for me the most not liked book (if that is a phrase? as i dont think there is a worse one) would be geralds game as i really did not like the woman so could feel sympathy towards her

Traveler devilweed is on a distinguished road

Default king's worst novel

Y'all must be crazy to be Dark Tower fans and hate EotD. It has Flagg as a main character!!!

Traveler devilweed is on a distinguished road

Default king's worst novel

I haven't seen this one posted but I think "Needful Things" blows. I'm glad Castle Rock is over

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

I hesitate to post to this thread, because I'm far from having read even a majority of King's books, so any response I make here is based on limited reading.

Nevertheless.

A writer as enduring as King has almost surely written something very good. Someone said everyone has a novel in them; all I have read are no exception, and usually it's ONE that sticks out. Gunslinger (and, OK, DT by extension) may be that book for King, or The Stand. And Fitzgerald had Gatsby, Hemingway The Sun Also Rises.
    But if they keep on writing after the fame is in the bag, they're basically writing for a payday- they know it and to some extent their readership knows. King passed that point somewhere. He could submit his grocery list for publication now, and it would probably hit the NYT bestsellers. I've put down a few of his books partway in because they struck me as "grocery list" books. Regulators comes to mind.....so I'll use it here. What's worst of his oeuvre? I can't say.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have read them all. And Regulators is my worst.

Actually I must edit this to say that I have not read Lisey's story, and from what I read about it, my "King of the worst" may be usurped.
    Sloth Love Chunk

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I realize that many did not like Lisey's Story, but I have to say that I do NOT understand why. I thought Lisey's Story was a very good read, and I hope you enjoy it dude.

Dreamcatcher and The Tommyknockers are his only two that I have never finished.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have Lisey's Story on my shelf, and have just been waiting for an opportunity to read it. I just finished LotR a week or so ago, and am rereading It right now. But, I think that I will pick it up after that.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i guess i need to read lisey's story cause i have great patience in Sai King ....but as much as i hate to admit it Talisman was really hard to get into ...mor then any King novel...i mean after shit gets going ....the book is killer ....i love struab too so it just worked for me .....i mean black house worked for me more but .....
    you know they leaned over to DT on purpose.....

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Lisey's story is the most recent one that I hated. It took me almost 6 months of stopping and starting to finally finish it. I hated all the gibberish they spoke. The odd thing is that I can read the short story/excerpt "Lisey and the Madman" and I enjoy it just fine. The novel was just overly long and overly sentimental.

Others that I don't enjoy would include The Tommyknockers and Eyes of the Dragon.

Insomnia took a while to get going, but I was never really bored, it just wasn't getting anywhere until the end. Bag of Bones on the other hand was boring and never seemed to get anywhere to me. It was enjoyable enough to read, but I just wish I knew going into it that it wasn't going to get anywhere or be thoroughly satisfying.

Gerald's game was also a bit boring, but I can't say that I hated it. Same with Rose Madder.

And this may be sacrilege, but I really dislike the flashback parts of Dark Tower IV (which are obviously most of it). I read it the first time fine, but every time I re-read the book, I cannot trudge through it. There's something really tedious about it the 2nd time on. I just skip through the book now and read the present day sections and then move on to Book V. Of course now I can re-read the comic instead.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Lisey's story is the most recent one that I hated. It took me almost 6 months of stopping and starting to finally finish it. I hated all the gibberish they spoke. The odd thing is that I can read the short story/excerpt "Lisey and the Madman" and I enjoy it just fine. The novel was just overly long and overly sentimental.
    Hear, hear. Bears disagree only on two points:
    1. "Lisey and the Madman" part was absurd; it chould have been over as soon it started, and would have been over if she hadn't quite artificially prolonged it. The only thing bears marginally enjoyed was the Amanda part.
    2. I am not sure it is sentimental. To me, it lacks true sentiment. Verbosity and a certain maudlinness and repetitiveness and getting stuck with every detail for what seems like forever is not enough to produce sentiment. Bears are overly sentimental themselves, and they were not touched a single time while reading that barren, hopelessly overdrawn text. (well, maybe by Amanda a couple of times, few and far between; otherwise, no)

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well... not so good novels for me are: Lisey's Story, Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne.

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Myste View Post
    Well... not so good novels for me are: Lisey's Story

Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

omg Cell is not anywhere on this page!! I'm putting it here. *bleh* on that book.

Lisey's Story I could deal with once I got past the bad writing... (i know that's supposed to be the point but i actually kinda liked the story)... I didn't like it at all when I started reading it... but it got better for me. I think a lot should have been cut out and it should have been a novella.. that would have helped a lot.

but... Cell!!!

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Country
    Country Flag

bears rather liked Cell... especially from the middle onward, till - and including - the very end

Country
    Country Flag

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Jean... I liked Cell waaaay more than, for example, "Lisey". It has this kind of "growing story".

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Country
    Country Flag

maybe i just hate the cliche zombie/technophobe theme

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast