Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie character of all time? Top 4 advance!

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Henry II (The Lion in the Winter)

3 8.82%
  • Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)

8 23.53%
  • Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs)

12 35.29%
  • Dracula (Dracula - 1931)

3 8.82%
  • Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With The Wind)

1 2.94%
  • John (The Lion in the Winter)

0 0%
  • Vito Corleone (The Godfather)

6 17.65%
  • Margot Tenenbaum (The Royal Tenenbaums)

1 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMCOAT - Round 1, Group I

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Odetta nominated him (and she's earned cool chick points for doing so, btw)
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    119. James Bond (from too many movies to list)
    120. Frodo (LotR)
    James Bond movies have been going for nearly 50 years and are still going strong. I'm not a Bond freak but one cannot deny his staying power. He's also universally recognized. You have to go a pretty fuckin' far way to meet someone that hasn't heard of him...like the unexplored jungles of the Amazon or something. I'd vote for him as the greatest movie character for these two reason alone. But I also view him as the ultimate "guy" hero. He's everything a guy would like to be.

This, though, is probably the best argument for his not being #1. The appeal of Bond movies is, more or less, limited to men. Number one really should be someone that appeals to both. But even women, at the very least, know who Bond is. He's archetypal.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    The nominations and votes are by movie lovers, not film critics.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure what film critics have to do with James Bond not appearing on these lists. I suggest you correct this egregious error before MI6 catches wind of this effrontery and sanctions your "liquidation".

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Coz - Feev has more polls still to be put up, I believe!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Correct! James Bond is in group K , I believe.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    But nobody nominated him. We had tons of time to nominate and everybody was allowed to nominate. There are many characters I love, but don't consider "great" and so didn't nominate them.

If these people aren't on the lists, then they didn't strike as deep of a chord with folks in general as we think and/or assume they do.

As I explain to Mr. Woofer
    In a completely unscientific manner and based solely on the feelings of the members of The Dark Tower.com who were a) aware of this contest and b) cared enough to vote, the best Stephen King novel of all time is _____.
    My description is a little less technical...

The nominations and votes are by movie lovers, not film critics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    But he was nominated!
    120. Frodo (LotR)
    James Bond movies have been going for nearly 50 years and are still going strong. I'm not a Bond freak but one cannot deny his staying power. He's also universally recognized. You have to go a pretty fuckin' far way to meet someone that hasn't heard of him...like the unexplored jungles of the Amazon or something. I'd vote for him as the greatest movie character for these two reason alone. But I also view him as the ultimate "guy" hero. He's everything a guy would like to be.

This, though, is probably the best argument for his not being #1. The appeal of Bond movies is, more or less, limited to men. Number one really should be someone that appeals to both. But even women, at the very least, know who Bond is. He's archetypal.
    Coz - Feev has more polls still to be put up, I believe!
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Correct! James Bond is in group K , I believe.
    My apologies, Coz. I thought you had checked all the lists and found him missing. (Btw, I like Bond though I like some Bonds more than others.)

I seem to be batting 1000 today (as they say in baseball).
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

120. Frodo (LotR)

Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

well i am relly struggling with this one. i have been in each night since the thread started, and i am all jack sparrow? good character (made me laugh and tastey to look at)
    hanibal - fantastic character,
    and dracula, the best character ever - with many a copy cat.
    nope going to have to think about it another night?//?//

i never cared for scarlett as a character, she was very spoilt and needed a slap

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Henry II (The Lion in Winter)
    "I found out the way your mind works and the kind of man you are. I know your plans and expectations - you've burbled every bit of strategy you've got. I know exactly what you will do, and exactly what you won't, and I've told you exactly nothing. To these aged eyes, boy, that's what winning looks like!"

"Geoffrey. There's a masterpiece. He isn't flesh: he's a device. He's wheels and gears. And Johnny... Was his latest treason your idea? I've caught him lying, and I've said, 'He's young.' I've found him cheating, and I've said, 'He's just a boy.' I've watched him steal and whore and whip his servants, and he's not a child; he's the man we made him."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Seriously? Jack Sparrow has more than Scarlett O'Hara?!? Really?!?
    I almost voted for her, but chose Jack Sparrow instead.
    My reasoning: Jack Sparrow is a jerk and makes me laugh.
    Scarlett is just a jerk bitch.
    And I agree with Candy...she was in need of a good slapping.

But, for the record..I do love Gone With the Wind anyway.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

finally went for hannibal.

just a fantastic character
    cpt jack a very close second

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I don't really get the love for Scarlett. Its no wonder Rett left her spoiled, bitchy ass.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

um, i nominated margot, i'm pretty sure, and i stand by it.

her character is fucking phenomenal.

so, yeah. that's how i voted.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Yeah I don't really get the love for Scarlett. Its no wonder Rett left her spoiled, bitchy ass.
    Coz, you have got to be kidding? Scarlett O'Hara is one of the most evolved in all of film. Her character comes full circle. Have you seen GWTW?
    Spoiler:
    By the end when he leaves, she's no longer a spoiled brat. That's the irony. She's finally realized her love for him. It's sad, and triumphant at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post

She's very cool, without a doubt.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Coz, you have got to be kidding? Scarlett O'Hara is one of the most evolved in all of film. Her character comes full circle. Have you seen GWTW?
    Spoiler:
    By the end when he leaves, she's no longer a spoiled brat. That's the irony. She's finally realized her love for him. It's sad, and triumphant at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post

She's very cool, without a doubt.
    Scarlet O'hara needed to find a man like Hannibal Lecter
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    How did Margot Tenenbaum get in this tourney?

I sure hope we didn't leave out other deserving characters for her.
    Which characters did you nominate?
    None.

Unfortunately, I always seem to miss that portion of these tourneys. I'm not bashing the people who nominated her. I like the Royal Tenenbaums, I just don't think she's a very memorable character.

For example, I'm not sure if he's in the tourney or not, but Terry Malloy (Brando's character from On The Waterfront) is a way better and more important character to cinema than Margot Tenenbaum.

I'm just saying.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Worried

How did Margot Tenenbaum get in this tourney?

I sure hope we didn't leave out other deserving characters for her.
    Which characters did you nominate?
    None.

Unfortunately, I always seem to miss that portion of these tourneys. I'm not bashing the people who nominated her. I like the Royal Tenenbaums, I just don't think she's a very memorable character.

For example, I'm not sure if he's in the tourney or not, but Terry Malloy (Brando's character from On The Waterfront) is a way better and more important character to cinema than Margot Tenenbaum.

I'm just saying.
    I understand what you're saying, but BMCOAT really is an opinion vote (or series). I would never consider any Brando character because I think he hams up his roles too much for my taste. The bear finds Alex from A Clockwork Orange despicable and did not vote for him.

Curiously, I have been surprised by some of my own votes.

BTW: There are Bonds who would get my vote and Bonds who would not.

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

<snip>

The bear finds Alex from A Clockwork Orange despicable and did not vote for him.

<snip>
    the bear is most correct in this assessment.
    i find that character deplorable, that movie despicable, and i despise that book.

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post

<snip>

The bear finds Alex from A Clockwork Orange despicable and did not vote for him.

<snip>
    the bear is most correct in this assessment.
    i find that character deplorable, that movie despicable, and i despise that book.
    I still love you both anyway.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hardest group yet, but I finally voted for Henry.

BTW, I still think that "The Lion in the Winter" doesn't sound as good.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

I guess the actor(s) and the actual film isn't really the point here..it's the character right?

cause man... deniro and brando??? Hello?

You all sleep with the fishes if Vito doesn't win.....
    I see hannibal being a top character, but i think deniro would kill hopkins in a street brawl LOL

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Lecter with Jack Sparrow a close second

Woulda gone with Mike Corleone not Vito although both were fantastic
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2