Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Mental: The Sociology & Psychology Discussion Thread

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

IMMRN: I just took a Myers-Briggs personality test online, and I'm an INFJ.

It's creepily accurate.
    Like, it has completely pegged me in 72 yes or no questions.
    I am an INFJ. (google it if you have no clue what I'm blabbing about)
    And now I'm interested in what other people around here are...

If you want to learn about your personality, take this test.
    It's crazy.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It described me as INTP. I disagree though and have recieved differing results on the same tests in the past. For me at least I think some of the questions are too vague.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am apparently ESFP.

You are:
    moderately expressed extravert
    moderately expressed sensing personality
    moderately expressed feeling personality
    moderately expressed perceiving personality
    At first I thought "Huh, must mean I'm pretty average then." But after actually reading the description it does describe me as I've always wanted to see myself (if that makes sense). I've showed the description to my workmates and they agree, so maybe there is something to the test after all

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Talkin' 'bout dang ol' internet tests, man. Click click click, man. Dang ol' tell what you think, man.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that test really was accurate. I feel mildly invaded.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

this time it said i was INFP, i think last time i took it i was INTP tho... maybe i've gotten more emotional since i got married.

IMMRN: i HATE having to sit in the house bored!!

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i got intj

and um, i think there should have been a final question which read...

73. you easily recognize that at least a dozen of these questions were superfluous retreads of previous questions ____ yes ____ no

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I got INTJ also. Clearly, we clash.

More coffee!
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm ENFP - Idealist Champion, along with Joan Baez, Charles Dickens and Mark Twain.

Cool, go ENFP's

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aparantly mine makes a good comedian and entertainer. So ladies and gentlechaps, I will be your Jester for the evening *jingle jingle*

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    i got intj

73. you easily recognize that at least a dozen of these questions were superfluous retreads of previous questions ____ yes ____ no

74. You think everybody fits in a box _____YES ____no

Seriously, I think these sort of things work really well for some peolpe, but are limited by their nature.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

i got intj

That is such an INTJ thing to say.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

ISTJ here. I'd say it's pretty accurate. And Jayson is right on about the questions!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    74. You think everybody fits in a box _____YES ____no

Seriously, I think these sort of things work really well for some peolpe, but are limited by their nature.
    No, I think some people like their results and some people don't I don't think they're limited, because they're not set in stone. Your personality is subject to change anytime you address issues/mindsets etc that you have and are willing to constructively criticize yourself.

I also don't know why people (not you in particular Brice, just in general) get so annoyed about this concept of "putting people in boxes", I think it's clear that there are certain categories of behaviour and personality in people. Just because someone recognises someone else as being in a particular group (or assumes you are) shouldn't really be an issue unless you dislike to be seen that way, in which case change the things you don't like about yourself. Because, even if you think it's wrong, or that you've been put in the wrong box, other people's perceptions of you are very telling if it's a mass consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    i got intj

That is such an INTJ thing to say.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I think it's clear that there are certain categories of behaviour and personality in people. Just because someone recognises someone else as being in a particular group (or assumes you are) shouldn't really be an issue unless you dislike to be seen that way, in which case change the things you don't like about yourself. Because, even if you think it's wrong, or that you've been put in the wrong box, other people's perceptions of you are very telling if it's a mass consensus.
    Talkin' 'bout trying to convince HR, y'all, if five dang ol' people have a problem with another dang ol' coworker, I tell you what, problem is following the one and not the five, man.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Um...did you agree or disagree? I can never understand Boomhauer

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Because, even if you think it's wrong, or that you've been put in the wrong box, other people's perceptions of you are very telling if it's a mass consensus.
    lisa, this is a brilliant observation. how we see ourselves and how other's see us are, obviously, never going to be precisely the same. each will be necessarily subjective, but it is interesting to discover wherein lie the differences.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think there really are two definate sides to our personalities, that which we perceive ourselves to be and that which we actually project. The more self aware a person is, the more I think the two correlate.

I can't entirely claim credit for the observation though, it's present in lots of schools of thought, especially in behavioural psychology and even in astrology, where your Sun sign (the one that realtes to your date of birth) reflects your true character and the Ascendant reflects the personality you project. Alot of people aren't happy when they find out what their Ascendant is either

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

infj

You are:
    moderately expressed introvert

slightly expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed judging personality

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nooooo! You can't be! jayson is INTJ

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i guess i just feel more.

My Mood
    Worried

Um...did you agree or disagree? I can never understand Boomhauer
    Because, even if you think it's wrong, or that you've been put in the wrong box, other people's perceptions of you are very telling if it's a mass consensus.
    lisa, this is a brilliant observation. how we see ourselves and how other's see us are, obviously, never going to be precisely the same. each will be necessarily subjective, but it is interesting to discover wherein lie the differences.
    (TRANSLATION: I agreed. I have experienced the same thing at my office when there are several employees having a problem with one other employee. Is it these 5 or 10 or 15 people? Or could it, perhaps, be the one person with whom all have trouble?)

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Personalities do change, but usually incredibly slowly. How others percieve you to be is entirely irrelavant to who you are. Their perceptions are part of their personality not yours. Although a test can have no personality the tests perception of who you are functions the same as another person's perception of you in that it can only explain and define on an extremely limited basis. It's not the answers you give that yield a certain result, but the specific questions asked. It's not that I'm unhappy with the results. I simply know them to be wrong. Actually my horoscope is much more accurate. So why do we need to categorize people at all? I think it's detrimental to any real understanding. If we say all people fit into x amount of boxes/descriptions we are just imposing our own limits on reality. It can be interesting or entertaining, possibly even useful in a transitive way, but really not very accurate, IMO.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    How others percieve you to be is entirely irrelavant to who you are. Their perceptions are part of their personality not yours.
    I utterly disagree.

It might not be how you perceive yourself to be, but if it's the way you come across to other people in general, then you are projecting that facet of your personality whether you mean to or not. If say 5 people individually and separately note the same traits about you, then how can it be a part of their personality and not yours?

Our personalities are partly defined by how others see us, their responses to our behaviour thus further moulding our future and present behaviours. In a very generalised statement, I would say that people who are happy or not worried about the way in which others perceive them, are quite confident or at least self aware. Whereas anyone not happy with others perceptions of themselves are in denial about, or struggling with, aspects of themselves that they dislike. Because basically, if you're projecting it, you have to own it. And if you refuse to do so, it only goes to further show that it's because you dislike these traits and that you don't wish to possess them.

So why do we need to categorize people at all? I think it's detrimental to any real understanding. If we say all people fit into x amount of boxes/descriptions we are just imposing our own limits on reality. It can be interesting or entertaining, possibly even useful in a transitive way, but really not very accurate, IMO.
    Because there doesn't need to be a limit on the number of boxes. I know what you're saying in regards to this, my opinion is more that I don't care if I'm put in a box, because as I said before anything you don't like can be changed. I don't think it always has to take a long time, it didn't for me about certain things, it just takes a lot of concious effort to recognise certain behaviours in yourself, to come to terms with the root causes for it and to challenge yourself to react differently.

ETA: Cheers Woof
    TV

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just had to come back in here to clarify something, I've been doing housework so I've had plenty of time to mull it over

I think what I ought to say to you Brice is, not that I utterly disagree with you full stop, but that I disagree in this context.

Because, I do recognise that people often project aspects of themselves (whether positive or negative) onto others. Especially in say a partnership or a family group. Also, from the negative pov, groups of people opposed to each others ideas (say evolutionists v creationists - although i'm not sure if that's the best example ) can mass project their group feelings on to one another. So, y'know, I do agree with you there that it happens and not infrequently. But, I still think that in this simplistic hypothetical situation we were originally discussing, it's the individuals own personality that is projected.

Hmm, however even in the case of one person projecting onto another, I think there needs to be a common ground of negative traits or at least negative images of themselves, for the projection to be successful

Can we have a thread for this, so I don't totally hijack this one? Like "The Sociology and Psychology Thread" and possibly have the relevant posts (including SJ's test link) copied into it...puhleeeeease

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast