Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obsession

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Obsession

Who is Roland without his obsession?

Who are we without our obsessions?
    These questions are running all around in my head for days...

Can we really blame Roland for anything when we think about our own crazy things and manias??
    It's a thread about obsession.
    Do we create our obsessions or do they create us? Who are we without them? Do we find them or do they find us?
    If Roland hadn't got hooked on the Tower... would he have found something else? Another cell?

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Obsession is what make us human.

My obsession is writing, hence the name, but even though I may be obsessed, I still find it difficult to pursue it. Ideas come and go like flowing water.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

you need to get an idea canteen to catch it all.

i'm obsessed with good stories, pizza, art supplies, trying to project my astral body, and coffee.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear what you are saying here Nikolett and I say thankya. In my humble opinion I don't think Roland was obsessed with finding the tower, but I think he knew his sole PURPOSE in life. Maybe their much the same and mayhap you need at least a little obsession to fulfill your purpose but I don't believe so. I think obsession, true unbridled obsession, is unhealthy. Take things in moderation and you will lead a much more healthy life. So I guess my question is can you fill a purpose in life without obsession?

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

idea canteen

I like that

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by J. Todd Hash View Post
    I hear what you are saying here Nikolett and I say thankya. In my humble opinion I don't think Roland was obsessed with finding the tower, but I think he knew his sole PURPOSE in life. Maybe their much the same and mayhap you need at least a little obsession to fulfill your purpose but I don't believe so. I think obsession, true unbridled obsession, is unhealthy. Take things in moderation and you will lead a much more healthy life. So I guess my question is can you fill a purpose in life without obsession?

Well spoken. I see your point, and say thankya. There is a connection between obsession and purpose, but they don't rule each other. To answer your question, yes, i believe it is possible to fill you purpose without entire obsession, but let's face it, there will be some obsession in your quest to fill it.
    Very insightful

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hear what you are saying here Nikolett and I say thankya. In my humble opinion

1. I don't think Roland was obsessed with finding the tower,

but I think he knew his sole PURPOSE in life. Maybe their much the same and mayhap you need at least a little obsession to fulfill your purpose but I don't believe so.

2. I think obsession, true unbridled obsession, is unhealthy.

Take things in moderation and you will lead a much more healthy life. So I guess my question is

3. Can you fill a purpose in life without obsession?
    1. What? Oh please tell me about it more. Why do you think so? I think he was absolutely obsessed with finding the Tower. For me it's not a question so I am damn interested in your view.

2. I don't say I don't agree because there is a lot in what you say but I have questions here, too.
    Why is it unhealthy?
    I think there are things we cannot control. We aren"t lords we are humans.

3. What's your answer to your own question, dear?

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just never saw Rolands quest to the tower as an obsession. I've always seen it as his sole purpose in life. When I think of obsession, I think Rea of the Coos depleting herself staring into the Pink Grapefruit. Peeking more and more for longer periods of time even though it was destroying her. I see The Prisoner as an obsessed character. I see Eddie on a mission.

See us both in the black

Country
    Country Flag

Is Roland the exception? Him?
    He would have been able to give up everything -e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g- for it. What is it if not an obsession?

Country
    Country Flag

someone who knows how to get the job done. I do hear what you are conveying, say thankya. I never really saw it that way. You have shed new light.

See us both in the black

Country
    Country Flag

someone who knows how to get the job done.
    Why did he look for the Tower?
    Just because.
    Because he wanted to see it.
    To feel its bricks under his palm.
    It's not a job.
    Eddie told him once he's a Tower junkie... a prisoner like him. I think Eddie could see into Roland's soul.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I agree it was Roland's obsession - infact, I think J, that the point was conveyed very strongly in the books, but thats whats so great about forums - you learn its never the same perception for two people

Without his Tower obsession what was Roland? A man who was passionate about the way of the White. Maybe not always a sympathetic man, but an honest man, and honesty is hard but just as far as I see it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Without his Tower obsession what was Roland? A man who was passionate about the way of the White. Maybe not always a sympathetic man, but an honest man, and honesty is hard but just as far as I see it.
    What a nice answer, Lisa.
    I can feel love from your words.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have endless love for Roland

Country
    Country Flag

You are most similar to Jake.
    You have endless love for Roland.
    You are hot.

*keeps thinking*

We really must be relatives.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

sisters is it then!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    You are most similar to Jake.
    You have endless love for Roland.
    You are hot.

*keeps thinking*

We really must be relatives.

I love seeing stuff like this. You are right Letti, you guys have much in common.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

SPOILERS

It seem there is a misinterpretation here. The tower wasn't Roland's obsession, it was his addiction. Roland even says 'the tower calls me'. An obsession doesn't call you, but an addiction does. As we all know from the ending of the book Roland continuously seeks the tower. Roland is a slave to the tower, to 'ka' and essentially admits (without outright declaring it) that he is a slave to it's whims. An addict is a slave to their addiction, often resorting to dark deeds to fulfill their needs.
    Spoiler:
    As we see, Roland will drop a child down a chasm and permit sacrifices so he can see the tower. Truly, I think much of his 'we have to save the universe' is a guise. If the beams break and the tower falls he cannot see it and touch it. Roland is selfish and Roland is a bad man who will continue in a cycle until he realizes he doesn't need it. When the tower falls he will be free.
    Last edited by Jean; 09-20-2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spoiler tags added

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, if you look up addiction in a thesaurus, obsession is a given alternative - as are: compulsion, craving, dependance, fixation and habit.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know yet what I think of the difference between the notions that Mattrick has given (haven't had the time to think), but I am sure distinguishing between notions is good heuristics; very often it, even when seems hair-splitting, in fact helps us understand lots of things previously concealed.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, in this context I think Mattrick's definition of an addict is no different to that of someone caught in the midst of an obsession.
    Mattrick, you say: An obsession doesn't call you, but an addiction does. And I would beg to differ. An obsession overrides your mind, it posesses your thoughts, all you want to do is indulge in your obsession - thats pretty much a calling I'd say

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it's not easy for me, not being a native speaker, but I would say it was obsession rather than addiction; if a distinction had to be made, I would say that you can be addicted to processes (not necessarily having a goal - such as gambling that can go on endlessly), and obsessed with something that can be completed/solved/achieved, like seeing the Tower or saving the world.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Darkthoughts and Jean~ Love the conversation that occured above.
    Great insight

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, in this context I think Mattrick's definition of an addict is no different to that of someone caught in the midst of an obsession.
    Mattrick, you say: An obsession doesn't call you, but an addiction does. And I would beg to differ. An obsession overrides your mind, it posesses your thoughts, all you want to do is indulge in your obsession - thats pretty much a calling I'd say
    When half of your friends become addicted to heavy drugs you can then tell me obsession and addiction are the same thing. They clearly aren't. Look at the definitions.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obsession

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

Vast differences.

An obsessed fan might so, break into a house and wait for a pop star to sleep before getting a lock of their hair or root through their garbage but there aren't too many of them willing to steal and kill to support their obsession. In the instance of drugs, a junkie may do ANYTHING in order to get a fix.

Eddie called Roland 'a tower junkie' because Eddie understand addiction and being enslaved by something.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    When half of your friends become addicted to heavy drugs you can then tell me obsession and addiction are the same thing. They clearly aren't. Look at the definitions.
    Mattrick, my dear, I love to debate - but I'm always wary of debating with someone such as yourself who appears to take everything very personally. You have no idea whether or not my friends have had such battles - yet you assume they haven't and try to belittle my opinion because of it - debate should be objective, that comment was not. As a matter of fact a close friend of mine died from his heroin addiction a few years ago...and still, obsession and addiction are very similar terms in my mind.

I wouldn't say vast at all. Also, those sites are wiki type sites that can be edited by members...I prefer to use something more solid for debates:

Encarta World English Dictionary:obsession 1. PREOCCUPATION an idea or feeling that completely occupies the mind 2. STATE OF BEING OBSESSED the state of being obsessed by sb or sth 3. UNCONTROLLABLE PERSISTENCE OF IDEA the uncontrollable persistence of an idea or emotion in the mind, sometimes associated with psychiatric disorder.

addiction 1.DRUG DEPENDANCE a state of physiological or psychological dependance on a substance, especially an illegal drug or one liable to have a damaging effect 2. DEVOTION great interest in sth to which a lot of time is devoted.

So if you check out definition 2 for each (and definition 1 for obsession to also compare to def.2 for addiction), they have a meaning in common - depends on the context.

An obsessed fan might so, break into a house and wait for a pop star to sleep before getting a lock of their hair or root through their garbage but there aren't too many of them willing to steal and kill to support their obsession. In the instance of drugs, a junkie may do ANYTHING in order to get a fix.
    So breaking into someones house and taking their hair isn't theft...not to mention mildly disturbing!? Plus, look at John Lennon's murder...the product of a serious obsession. A junkie may do anything, but someone who is obsessive may do anything also - because they are both extremes of behaviour.

Eddie called Roland 'a tower junkie' becuse Eddie understand addiction and being enslaved by something.
    Yes, Eddie could empathize with Roland's obsession - Roland was enslaved by the tower Eddie was enslaved by drugs. It doesn't differentiate between the two in this example really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast