Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Many Different Rolands?

Threaded View

Traveler klobbrus is on a distinguished road

Default Many Different Rolands?

Greetings.

This is something that I was thinking about recently as I posted in the Gunslingers Guns thread. The main discussion of that thread was on the few conflicting descreptions of his guns (sometimes single action, sometimes double, sometimes one ammo, sometimes another).

*Main spoilers!!!*

Given that, after the ending of the series with Roland reaching the top of the Tower and being put back at the 'start' of his journey (at least where we join him ). Yet this time he 'remembers pausing to pick up the horn', meaning he now has something that he didn't before while on his journey.

My theory is this: The telling of the story (through the seven odd books) doesn't tell of just one of his (Rolands) journeys, but several different ones, as he reaches the tower and is sent back, but with a new tool/item/knowledge that he didn't have to allow him to actually complete his quest. Since the 'past' would then have changed, it is reasonable to think that his gear could also change not only from quest to quest, but from book to book. (IE The Gunslinger would be one quest where he reached the tower but was sent back with a new item/upgraded item, the Drawing would be another, etc. etc.)

This would allow for the gun to be first a single action, and then 'upgraded' to a double action for a small ease on his journey. Same with his finding his companions. Perhaps in one journey he did it all alone, but he wasn't meant to, because his friends (Susannah, Eddie, Jake, Oy, Callahan, etc. etc.) were needed for their own parts (forming Tet Corp (as Roland wouldn't even begin to think of doing that), protecting the Rose, giving birth to Mordred, stopping Blane with illogic, etc. etc.)

Well, tell me what ya'll think and if needed, I will try and clarify my thought if possible!
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 08-27-2011 at 03:32 PM.