Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comic News ( Industry / Retail / Artist / etc. )

Hybrid View

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Dark Tower Sale Estimates *updated*

Courtesy of ICv2

This should give a general idea of how the comics have been doing since it began to now. For the record, these don't count issues bought in the months after the initial release. (I.E. a July issue bought in October)

I would assume that variants are included in sales.

Rankings indicate how well they're doing in comparision to the other titles released that month. So one issue can have a higher ranking than a later month's, but still do worse. For example, the final issue of The Fall of Gilead had a higher sales ranking than the previous one, but still had fewer issues sold.

I'll be editing this post as updates occur.

Sale Estimates

Title | Rank (out of the top 300) | Est. Sales

The Gunslinger Born #1 | 2 | 172,147
    The Gunslinger Born #2 | 5 | 136,338
    The Gunslinger Born #3 | 4 | 132,481
    The Gunslinger Born #4 | 2 | 131,753
    The Gunslinger Born #5 | 5 | 132,090
    The Gunslinger Born #6 | 5 | 128,336
    The Gunslinger Born #7 | 3 | 124,609

Gunslinger's Guidebook | 54 | 48,806

The Long Road Home #1 | 1 | 123,839
    The Long Road Home #2 | 3 | 103,008
    The Long Road Home #3 | 12 | 87,605
    The Long Road Home #4 | 14 | 79,240
    The Long Road Home #5 | 15 | 74,965

End-World Almanac | 87 | 29,257

Treachery #1 | 9 | 82,517
    Treachery #2 | 21 | 65,724
    Treachery #3 | 18 | 58,268
    Treachery #4 | 36 | 53,728
    Treachery #5 | 22 | 50,668
    Treachery #6 | 27 | 48,119

Guide to Gilead | 114 | 21,171

Sorcerer #1 | 50 | 39,207

The Fall of Gilead #1 | 31 | 43,580
    The Fall of Gilead #2 | 50 | 39,978
    The Fall of Gilead #3 | 57 | 36,982
    The Fall of Gilead #4 | 63 | 35,607
    The Fall of Gilead #5 | 64 | 34,522
    The Fall of Gilead #6 | 57 | 32,531

The Battle of Jericho Hill #1 | 67 | 30,756
    The Battle of Jericho Hill #2 | 77 | 28,350
    The Battle of Jericho Hill #3 | 65 | 27,215
    The Battle of Jericho Hill #4 | 69 | 26,336
    The Battle of Jericho Hill #5 | 77 | 25,896

The Gunslinger #1 | 79 | 26,275
    The Gunslinger #2 | 82 | 24,024
    The Gunslinger #3 | 90 | 22,744
    The Gunslinger #4 | 91 | 21,820
    The Gunslinger #5 | 93 | 21,323
    Last edited by CyberGhostface; 10-21-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting! A REALLY definite drop in volume as the series continues.

John

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Good stuff, Cyber. I'll merge this after a bit into the general thread.

The drop-off is scary. That's very significant.

I don't see any of the other one-shots listed, were those not available? ( ie - Gunslingers Guidebook, Guide to Gilead, etc )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I find interesting is that the decreasing sales were attributed to the break between the first two arcs, which is why they're all coming out rapidly and Jae Lee's taking a breather for the current arc. But the list shows that the first two issues of Long Road Home sold pretty good and didn't peter off until later...

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I don't see any of the other one-shots listed, were those not available? ( ie - Gunslingers Guidebook, Guide to Gilead, etc )
    I didn't look for those when I compiled the data but I'll go take a look now.

EDIT: I added them.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Nice. Great info. Thanks, Cyber.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

I added Fall of Gilead #2. It's just barely ahead of Sorcerer this time--interesting, given that Sorcerer was a one-shot with no variants...

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

Default General Comic News ( Industry / Retail / Artist / etc. )

This thread is for all NON-King related Comic News - industry, retail and artist.

Anything really.

Feel free to post stories and discuss same here.

Use spoilers if appropriate.

My Mood
    Gay

What an odd upcoming offering from Dark Horse. ~ turtlex

Morgan Spurlock ready to "Supersize" comics

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "Super Size Me," the Oscar-nominated documentary that took the fast-food diet to extremes, is getting a companion piece in the form of a graphic novel.

The film's director, Morgan Spurlock, and his production company, Warrior Poets, are teaming with Dark Horse Comics for an original graphic novel, "Supersized: Strange Tales From a Fast Food Culture."

Conceived as an adjunct to the 2004 movie -- and aiming, like it, to make a point about health and nutrition -- the book will feature bizarre stories about the United States' obsession with fast food. Spurlock will write the stories, with a mix of established and up-and-coming artists scripting and drawing the book. It's set for publication in the spring.

Spurlock said that after his movie was released, he and Warrior Poets were inundated by calls from people who wanted to share their tales from the fast-food underbelly. Among them: the story of a fat man whose cremation made a mortuary smell like French fries and the man who built in his garage a museum of McDonald's food that never aged.

"As great as they were on paper, I think they'll be better told in a graphic-novel form," Spurlock said. "They're funny, they're gross, and hopefully they'll be informative too."

A clown character called MC Super-Size Me, created during the promotion of the movie, will act as the guide through the stories, in the same way the Crypt Keeper hosted the ghoulish stories in EC Comics' "Tales From the Crypt."

My Mood
    Gay

The 2009 Eisner Awards were held Friday evening at Comc-Con International: San Diego. Here is a list of the winners.

2009 Eisner Winners

Best Short Story: "Murder He Wrote," by Ian Boothby, Nina Matsumoto, and Andrew Pepoy, in The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror #14 (Bongo)

Best Continuing Series: All Star Superman. by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (DC)

Best Limited Series: Hellboy: The Crooked Man, by Mike Mignola and Richard Corben (Dark Horse)

Best New Series: Invincible Iron Man, by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larocca (Marvel)

Best Publication for Kids: Tiny Titans, by Art Baltazar and Franco (DC)

Best Publication for Teens/Tweens: Coraline, by Neil Gaiman, adapted by P. Craig Russell (HarperCollins Children's Books)

Best Humor Publication: Herbie Archives, by "Shane O'Shea" (Richard E. Hughes) and Ogden Whitney (Dark Horse)

Best Anthology: Comic Book Tattoo: Narrative Art Inspired by the Lyrics and Music of Tori Amos, edited by Rantz Hoseley (Image)

Best Webcomic: Finder, by Carla Speed McNeil, www.shadowlinecomics.com/webcomics/#/finder/

Best Reality-Based Work: What It Is, by Lynda Barry (Drawn & Quarterly)

Best Graphic Album—New: Swallow Me Whole, by Nate Powell (Top Shelf)

Best Graphic Album—Reprint: Hellboy Library Edition, vols. 1 and 2, by Mike Mignola (Dark Horse)

Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips: Little Nemo in Slumberland, Many More Splendid Sundays, by Winsor McCay (Sunday Press Books)

Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Books: Creepy Archives, by various (Dark Horse)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material: The Last Musketeer, by Jason (Fantagraphics)

Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Japan: Dororo, by Osamu Tezuka (Vertical)

Best Writer: Bill Willingham, Fables, House of Mystery (Vertigo/DC)

Best Writer/Artist: Chris Ware, Acme Novelty Library (Acme)

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team: Guy Davis, BPRD (Dark Horse)

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: Jill Thompson, Magic Trixie, Magic Trixie Sleeps Over (HarperCollins Children's Books)

Best Cover Artist: James Jean, Fables (Vertigo/DC); The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse)

Best Coloring: Dave Stewart, Abe Sapien: The Drowning, BPRD, The Goon, Hellboy, Solomon Kane, The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse); Body Bags (Image); Captain America: White (Marvel)

Best Lettering: Chris Ware, Acme Novelty Library #19 (Acme)

Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism: Comic Book Resources, produced by Jonah Weiland (www.comicbookresources.com)

Best Comics-Related Book: Kirby: King of Comics, by Mark Evanier (Abrams)

Best Publication Design: Hellboy Library Editions, designed by Cary Grazzini and Mike Mignola (Dark Horse)

Hall of Fame:
    Judges' choices: Harold Gray, Graham Ingels;
    Voters' choices: Matt Baker, Reed Crandall, Russ Heath, Jerry Iger

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm REALLY surprised All Star Superman won. I tried to read it and found the story very lacking.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

McFarlane Back for Spawn # 200

"It's issue #200, a big anniversary book, so I thought I'd come in there," McFarlane told CBR News of his return to "Spawn's" pencil-based interiors. "I've got some ideas for the story where I might have some pages done by guest artists for some flashback sequences. I'd do the A-story, and then within the confines of that there would be three or four little B-snippet flashbacks. So it'd kind of put together an all-star team, but until I get them to fully commit, I'll hold off on the names."

turtlex comments - This could be intersting... bringing in other artists to work on flashback panels.

My Mood
    Gay

In a posting on his official site, Warren Ellis announced Monday that he is writing a film treatment for a story based on the Arthurian legends. Ellis has yet to determine a title for the project, which is known as “Excalibur” by its producers, Hollywood Gang, who also co-produced Zack Snyder’s adaptation of Frank Miller’s “300” and previously optioned Ellis and Chris Sprouse’s “Ocean.”

This “Excalibur” is not related to Ellis’ work on a Marvel comic book series of the same name.

My Mood
    Gay

Archaia Teams with Amazon to Produce OGNs for the Kindle

Meeting the growing demand for more digital content, Archaia announced that it would produce original graphic novels (OGNs) exclusively for the Amazon Kindle, which will include the Kindle’s iPhone and iPod touch apps.

Archaia will initially premiere four OGNs on the Kindle over the next 12 months. The new collaboration kicks off with Tumor, an original story from Joshua Hale Fialkov and Noel Tuazon, the creators of the Harvey Award-nominated Elk’s Run. Tumor, a Los Angeles noir about a private investigator with a terminal brain tumor trying to close one last case before the cancer kills him, will be released as eight individual chapters over the next six months, to then be collected into a hardcover edition. The first chapter of Tumor is available now on the Kindle for free, with subsequent chapters priced at 99 cents.

My Mood
    Gay

“TALES OF THE STARLIGHT DRIVE-IN” won the treasured BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE YEAR award in the 2009 Comics Buyer’s Guide Annual Fan Awards!

The book handily beat work by giants like Alan Moore and Brian Azzarello and garnered a whopping 53 percent of the vote.

My Mood
    Gay

Default Disney To Buy Marvel !

turtlex comments - I will merge this with the General News Thread in a few days, but wondered about your thoughts everyone?!?

Disney to buy comic book powerhouse Marvel for $4B
    By RYAN NAKASHIMA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES – The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is buying Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing such characters as Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superhero fare in recent years. That contrasts with Disney's recent successes among young women with such fare as "Hannah Montana" and the Jonas Brothers.

"It helps Disney add exposure to a young male demographic it had sort of lost some balance with," Joyce said, noting the $4 billion offer was at "full price."

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday's closing stock prices.

Marvel shares jumped $10.17, or 26 percent, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $26.37.

Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Disney last made a big purchase in 2006 when it acquired Pixar Animation Studios Inc., the creator of the "Toy Story" franchise, for $7.4 billion in stock.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said the latest acquisition combines Marvel's "strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters" with Disney's "unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties" and ability to maximize value across multiple platforms and territories.

Marvel earned a net profit of $206 million last fiscal year, up 47 percent from a year earlier, on revenue of $676 million, as it took movie production in house instead of just cutting licensing deals.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

....and, that's the death of Marvel.

Seriously, has Disney touched anything in the last several years and not fucked it up completely?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

Seriously, has Disney touched anything in the last several years and not fucked it up completely?
    Pixar?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

Pixar?
    Yes, Pixar. Worse once Disney got their mitts on it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Seeing Marvel, Jonas Brothers, and Hannah Montana in the same body of writing is making my stomach turn. I hope this falls through, horribly.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Well, there goes the future.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

And it will make future trips to Disney a lot cooler. Wouldn't it be great if they made a whole theme park around Marvel superheroes?

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

And it will make future trips to Disney a lot cooler. Wouldn't it be great if they made a whole theme park around Marvel superheroes?
    They have a theme park in FL. full of Marvel characters and rides.
    If Hanna Montanna makes a cameo in my X-Men comics im going to pee on it.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I just died a little bit inside
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I just died a little bit inside
    My feelings exactly.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

As long as Disney is smart enough to not try and change Marvel and just use it for what it is, it'll work out fine. But if they start trying to make Marvel comic books and movies more "child friendly" it'll be an absolute disaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast