Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's the only one I know about. If there were more, the number is probably quite small.

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Anyone remember anything about this one? Dark Descent. Published by TOR in 1987. I remember it being being signed by quite a few of the authors including Steve and it sold for quite a few $$$. More than I could muster at the time. I believe most of the signatures were on the FFEP.

I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post
    Anyone remember anything about this one? Dark Descent. Published by TOR in 1987. I remember it being being signed by quite a few of the authors including Steve and it sold for quite a few $$$. More than I could muster at the time. I believe most of the signatures were on the FFEP.

I love this place. You learn something new everyday. Yes, I know this book. King had three stories in it "The Reach" , "The Monkey", and "Crouch End" but I never knew a signed limited of it was done. Wow!

Edit: Go ahead Greg, show me the picture of it. Make me drool.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Hey Ralph, It wasn't done in a Limited. Just a trade First with a ton of Signatures, including Steve's.
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

I love this place. You learn something new everyday. Yes, I know this book. King had three stories in it "The Reach" , "The Monkey", and "Crouch End" but I never knew a signed limited of it was done. Wow!

Edit: Go ahead Greg, show me the picture of it. Make me drool.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Hey Ralph, It wasn't done in a Limited. Just a trade First with a ton of Signatures, including Steve's.
    Oh! Got it. Still Wow! What a great book to have signed. I can't imagine many of these existing though.

I've seen a few copies signed by a couple authors or editors but not one with all the sigs.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Did the publisher obtain all the signatures, or were they gathered at some event?

Not sure where or when it was signed. Just remember it on Ebay quite some time ago.

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Once, a long time ago, before i really started collecting King. I came across a S/L Christine in an Orlando book store while I was in the Navy. It was just filed on the shelf along with othr King books. Asking price of right around $200 I believe.....I thought about it for a while and then left it there !!!! If i only knew................

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I like this thread, but shouldn't it be merged with this one? http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-That-Got-Away

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I like this thread, but shouldn't it be merged with this one? http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-That-Got-Away
    That explains my sense of deja vu on the thread title. Thank you. The threads are now merged.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

In 1983 I was moving from Tacoma, WA to El Paso, TX. I took a longer route and went through Los Angeles for a few reasons but one reason was to go to The Book Sail owned by John McLaughlin. I had reserved by phone a S/L FIRESTARTER for $350 which was really a lot of money back then. I was going to pick it up in person. When I got there I saw all sorts of stuff I wanted. I saw these strange green booklets called THE PLANT. There were only two at that time. Part III wasn't done yet. These were inscribed, not the unsigned ones. He wanted $400 for the pair. Wow, I thought, that's a lot of money! What I really remember was the lettered, asbestos edition of FIRESTARTER. I had only heard of the numbered edition. Didn't even know a lettered edition existed. (Did I even know of lettered editions back then? I don't think so.) Priced at $2000. It might as well have been priced ten times that. No way I could afford it (although it did briefly cross my mind to charge it to my credit card). I should have bought it even though there would have been hell to pay when I met back up with my wife.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

It hurts too much to think about the SK bargains I passed up in the past. (OUCH! OUCH! Quit thinking!..ok...OUCH!...darn it...)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Even before The Stand S/L, as I was a beginner King collector-trades!, there was an estate auction in May 1986, San Francisco, Ca and a lettered Firestarter was on the list. At the time I couldn't justify (to myself-I was going through a divorce) the princely amount of $2,250 that the book sold for.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That's not so bad, I passed up an asbestos FIRESTARTER that was going for $400.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    That's not so bad, I passed up an asbestos FIRESTARTER that was going for $400.
    Wow! When and where was this?

That is not much more than the publication price of $300 (I think that's right). From what I have heard Phantasia Press had trouble selling all of the 26 lettered asbestos copies. People just weren't that interested at the time and the price was considered too high. I think John McLaughlin stepped in and bought several copies for his store The Book Sail.

When the asbestos book was published I tried like hell to get one, but to no avail, so I sort of gave up. I actually knew, and still know, the book dealer who suggested the whole idea of the book to Phantasia Press. Then when it was offered for $400 I thought that was highway robbery and said no thanks. The month FIRESTARTER was released by Phantasia, I was at a local convention, and I remember PILES of the limited edition sitting on their dealer's table. I mean, there must have been 50 or more sitting there at the original price. I already had one, so why buy another? As soon as I invent my time machine I'm going back and giving my younger self some book buying advice.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Haha...but that's what makes it collectible today. The reason the s/l editions today do not climb in value is because everybody buys and hoards them...who knows what happened to those 50 copies you saw - probably lost in moves, ruined in the sun, sitting in a storage locker.

Meantime, people today hang on to a copy of "Borderlands 5" like grim death, but nobody needs a copy because they already got one.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Some years before, someone offered me all signed limited German Edition Phantasia Clive Barker Books of Blood with the same number for ... arround 350 euro. Normaly one of them cost´s arround 100+ euro, and all with the same NR are NEVER EVER for sale...
    But some days before, i already ordered some other books. A LIVE in the Cinema Lettered, ES Edition Phantasia...... and there was NO more money for the Books of Blood.

Last year i forget to buy a complete Set of Masters of Darkness signed signature Sheets.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a chance for Nebel a couple of years ago for <$700. I balked because it was not through Ebay and from a seller (German, not that the country matters-just international) who wanted an off the books transaction. I could have had a friend who had an Ebay account in Germany bid on it, but didn't want them to be put in the middle if a dispute occurred.

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

i need some advice guys,not sure if its the one that got away yet,but its definately slipping out of my grasp! i have a package with a bunch of signed king books in it gone "missing" by UPS. it was to be delivered to a p.o. box but instead they delivered it to a completely different address with the same name. they are saying they dont ship to p.o. box addresses, so they found the nearest address with the same name,left the package at that doorstep and walked away,job done!! why they would do this and not return to sender i dont know. the tracking no. says delivered on the 21st january. so...any thoughts,ideas? should i call UPS and tell them to go back to the address and get the package? should i try and get this persons phone no.( i have the full address) and try and call to see if a package arrived that they know nothing about? anybody dealt with something like this before with UPS and can give me some way to go about it? going to a dark room now and sit facing the corner!

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shnnrc01 View Post
    i need some advice guys,not sure if its the one that got away yet,but its definately slipping out of my grasp! i have a package with a bunch of signed king books in it gone "missing" by UPS. it was to be delivered to a p.o. box but instead they delivered it to a completely different address with the same name. they are saying they dont ship to p.o. box addresses, so they found the nearest address with the same name,left the package at that doorstep and walked away,job done!! why they would do this and not return to sender i dont know. the tracking no. says delivered on the 21st january. so...any thoughts,ideas? should i call UPS and tell them to go back to the address and get the package? should i try and get this persons phone no.( i have the full address) and try and call to see if a package arrived that they know nothing about? anybody dealt with something like this before with UPS and can give me some way to go about it? going to a dark room now and sit facing the corner!
    Go back to UPS immediately.

Sometimes UPS will work with the smaller Post Offices for delivery to P.O. Boxes but it's rare.

First- Find out who delivered it, Post Office or UPS (they can tell you that)

Second- Tell UPS it never showed up and you need to start the insurance process (Insurance was paid. right?) With UPS you are only covered up to the first $100, I think.

Third- We hire them to do a job, not just leave a package where ever they want. UPS should be the one contacting the address the package was left at. Not you. As far as you are concerned, the package is missing and UPS delivered it to the wrong address.

Hope my ramblings help.

Mulleins

Ralph's advice is sound and I wouldn't have much more to add except that I would go to the address, ring the doorbell and ask whoever answers about the package. But our situations might be too different for that to work for you. I live in a small town and feel comfortable doing that. If you live in a big city it might be an entirely different situation. Whatever you do....Good Luck! We can all appreciate the difficulty and angst of the situation.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Contact the closest local UPS office and speak to a supervisor (in addition to their corporate #). If you can't find the number for the local depot-ask a local UPS driver for it.
    I've had UPS mis deliver stuff and in fact had it on camera the driver delivering a (my) package to a house down the street from me. Mistakes happen. As Bob mentioned, if you feel comfortable, go to the address you think the package went to and inquire.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If I had the info and thought it safe, I would go to the address and inquire.

If unsuccessful, I would follow Ralph's and Jerome's recommendations about contacting UPS.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

wel guys,,this is the latest, i googled the persons address and got their phone number and called them up. he was very nice and honest. he did indeed receive the package and said he couldnt believe it when he saw all the signed books! he taped up the box and brought it to his local UPS "affiliate", not a full UPS office. told them he received a box by mistake and would they return it to sender. that was almost 2 weeks ago. i called this packaging/delivery number but it seems to be closed on sunday which is to be expected. i'll try them again 1st thing tomorrow. at least my biggest fear is gone,which was the person who received the books saying "thx so much for free books,-ebay here i come!!" the search is narrowing slowly.i hope!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast